I heard that there was this adapter for macs that lets you plug your guitar into the computer. Apparently the sound card that comes with macs is good enough for using a guitar with garageband and not needing an interface. I was thinking of just getting one of these for now and upgrading to a proper audio interface when I knew what I was doing. I have seen a Presonus Inspire 1394 for what looks like a good price ($170 Australian). Should I get this or go straight for something bigger like the Firebox?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
I would just go with an audio interface. I can't see any stock sound card being low enough latency for recording. If you don't need the extra features of the Firebox, go with the Inspire, it should be fine.

Also be aware that running though the mic input will put you though a cheap preamp which will lower quality so that's just another reason to go with a proper interface....they are affordable these days anyway.
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 16, 2009,
Depending on what you want to do with your recording the Mac sound card would be absolutely fine.

You can get a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adaptor at any electrical store and then simply plug that into the mic input in the back of the Mac.

Ive never found latency an issue as long as I keep the CPU usage in check as well ie. Dont go plugin heavy if you havent got the RAM to support it.

Hope that helps
For now, I'll just be recording guitar, so that's why I was with the adapter idea. Also, if I was going to upgrade to Logic in the future, would the adapter still work?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
If you use the built in soundcard, your recordings will sound cheap & nasty, with a weak signal & lots of static & hum. Buy an interface!!!
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
I disagree, granted it will be a weaker signal but ive got some very good sounding results from using that kind of adaptor.

I would reccomend spending 50p more and getting a gold plated adaptor.
If the signal is weaker, I might just go for the cheap Inspire 1394. I would probably use the amp simulators and I'm guessing I would want a good signal for those.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

I used amp sims like Guitar Rig and Amplitube and found them fine but if youve got the money to buy a cheaper audio interface then it will probably be worth it.

Personally when i first started out all i was doing was recording guitar and i found using a simple adaptor like that a really good way of getting decent sound for practically no extra cost.