Do you think that the music one listens to has a great influence on the mood of someone? For example do you think that someone who listens to a lot of violent/gangsta hip-hop/rap would be generally less happy or more prone to violence and crime than someone who listens to a lot of happy stuff? I've been wondering this recently because I listen to a lot of music with very negative themes, i.e killing, rape, violence etc and am wondering if this will have a bad impact on me? I've tried listening to positive, upbeat music like Jack Johnson and other relaxed stuff like that but I just don't like it, I don't know why. I've been wondering this ever since I realised that a lot of fans of artists like Eminem always seem really depressed and upset and so wondered if the music you listen to influences your general wellbeing and mood and state of happiness?

What do you think?
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
I would say it was the other way round.

If I was black and born in a ghetto, I might well listen exclusively to rap
But listening to rap doesn't make you wanna move to a ghetto.

Chilled people seek chilled music.
The same people when angry might listen to something heavier.

Mood influences the music IMO.
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
Well, I listen to Tupac/Immortal Technique/Cypress Hill etc., and I'm about as gangsta as Martha Stewart.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Not at all.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
I've found that because I listen to very angry music, it actualy makes me LESS angry as a person.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
The music I listen to is Metal, this influences my lifestyle in a huge way, i wear the band shirts, i play guitar and I listen to metal for around 4 hours a day. Some people think that metal is for angry people but metal makes people happy well at least it makes me happy and also it gives me a feeling of empowerment.
Originally Posted by neopowell
I'm perfectly capable of rating my own poo, I don't need a website to help me. I've devised strict criteria based on texture, smell, ease of passing and numerous other factors. It's even colour-coded.

ಠ_ಠ
No, I'd say music taste is more of an indicator of mood than an influence on it.

For example, people who're depressed will be more likely to listen to depressing music, but only because they relate more to the music in the first place. When I'm depressed, happy music will seem irritating and unsophisticated, while depressing music feels more comforting because I can empathise with it. The opposite is true when I'm in a good mood.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
naah, it doesnt,

I listen to a lot of different styles but it hasnt affecting me in any way at all,
Amongst all of them i listen to a lot of metal,

even them i'm a calm, non hating, regularly going to get a hair cut, drinking responsibly, having a 9-5 desk job guy, (ok fine, so i binge every now and then at random metal gigs,
but thats mostly out of the festive atmosphere)

even if i listen to jazz, i'm not a snob
even if i listen to psychedelia, i'm not a hardcore junkie (a joint here and there does not count, its normal behaviour from a 19 year old)
even if i listen to gangsta rap, i dont start turf wars

its mostly individual to individual

but i agree with fleabag,
the kind of environment and state of psyche determines your taste in music more than the other way around
If you want to get laid, go to college,
If you want education go to a library

-Frank Zappa-
Quote by wouldyakindly
No, I'd say music taste is more of an indicator of mood than an influence on it.

For example, people who're depressed will be more likely to listen to depressing music, but only because they relate more to the music in the first place. When I'm depressed, happy music will seem irritating and unsophisticated, while depressing music feels more comforting because I can empathise with it. The opposite is true when I'm in a good mood.

Thanks man, that really helped clear up that worry for me, I guess it's okay for me to listen to songs with negative messages in them then
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
I think my moods and music go hand in hand, if i am in a calm mood, i put on some Debussey, if i feel like some rather dramatic dirge, i listen to A perfect circle, if i feel a bit silly i listen to Mr Bungle, etc, etc.

I really love hearing songs that are so good that i don't even want to try and learn them on guitar so that the magic of them isn't ruined.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
it could work both ways.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
I think it has some effect. The only reason bands like coldplay an snowpatrol are successful is because in the modern world marriages don't last. The woman (or modern man whos comfortable with embracing his feminine side) feels depressed about the breakup of his relationship an wants to know that there's someone out there who feels the same and understands what they're going through. So they stick on some songs about wanting to fix you written by some guy whos not depressed but is just some soppy posh boy twat.
Adultery and men stripped of masculinity are responsible for the endless amount of **** we are fed through the radio and tv.
I LISTEN TO DEATH METAL AND IM VERY ANGRY
For the most part, yes. Each time my general attitude and approach towards life has changed , so did the music I listen to. At this point I'll listen to anything if it's good, but that just reflects the current state my mind is in - open.
I listen to a lot of different stuff, like Pink Flooyd, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Led Zep, Korn, etc. But I listen to the stuff i want when i want it, but I'm almost never deadly angry or deeply sad.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Sep 16, 2009,
Death metal Sucks and Ill listen to any thing that can some what talk to me and i listen to any thing that Reminds me of the good ol days I know im not that old but i dont care
In some ways, yeah. I like Boards Of Canada a lot, and their music has made me appreciate nature more than I did (even though I liked nature) and I have been getting out more and doing actual physical activity.
No, unless your one of those juggalos who are really serious about it. It makes me deppresed sometimes though since I only like music everybody is constantly giving me **** for. Hell, it starts more than I thought. Think about it, its famous bands (or television shows, celebrities,etc.) that start all these fads and cliques. Once these fads get going, 55% of everyone will follow these fads and discriminate against anyone who doesn't like it, leading to many kids to have no friends and end up hanging themself. Nevermind, I'm too ****ing stupid to understand the way music effects peoples' lives

Edit: Dont get me wrong, it effects people in good ways to
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Sep 27, 2009,
I think there's probably a correlation, but anybody who's taken a psychology or sociology course correlation knows that correlation is not the same as causation.

Maybe people who listen to gangsta rap will tend to be more violent, but that's more likely because gangsta rap was created by and embraced by people who were growing up in poverty in the slums, which is the actual cause of the violence and whatnot.

EDIT:
I will concede that what an artist has to say can influence people, though. For example, listening to The Smiths made me appreciate literature.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Sep 27, 2009,
I dunno about influencing, but in a way it may tell about your personality and/or your emotional state. For instance, most of the music is at least in some way sad or melancholic. I can relate to it greatly and it helps release negative emotions. Music RARELY influences someone, it is just **** like PMRC or something of that nature making the masses believe music can change someone's behaviour. It may change it, but not radically to the point of violent outbursts or suicides, if anything it prevents the aforementioned outcomes.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Well, I listen to Tupac/Immortal Technique/Cypress Hill etc., and I'm about as gangsta as Martha Stewart.

so..you're pretty gangsta right?
I listen to what sounds good, which I think is mostly metal, but it does no way influence me.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by neidnarb11890
I will concede that what an artist has to say can influence people, though. For example, listening to The Smiths made me appreciate literature.
That's true. After listening to Morrissey's poetic lyrics and Johnny Marr's addictive guitar riffs, The Smiths make you appreciate a lot of things. Although this is irrelevant to the rest of the thread, I couldn't resist; being a huge Smiths fan and all.
Anyone who thinks that music these days is dead doesn't listen to enough music.
I listen to rock and metal and stuff but never rap because rap is just a bad influence on most people and anyway, there is no good guitar in them.
Quote by museiscool
I listen to rock and metal and stuff but never rap because rap is just a bad influence on most people and anyway, there is no good guitar in them.

pff. like guitars were still interesting

i think your mood drives you to a certain artist/genre/song

altough, there's many people who like to say " I love music" and build the personality around it, which in my opinion is really stupid
Quote by dsotm73
That's true. After listening to Morrissey's poetic lyrics and Johnny Marr's addictive guitar riffs, The Smiths make you appreciate a lot of things. Although this is irrelevant to the rest of the thread, I couldn't resist; being a huge Smiths fan and all.

I think it's funny that everyone thinks of The Smiths as this dark, gloomy band. I mostly associate them with happy feelings. I mean, they can be a bit melancholy, but Morrissey is so witty, and Johnny's riffs are so beautiful, I can't possibly feel sad when I listen to them!

Plus I'm socially awkward and can't get laid, so I can totally relate to them... >_>
if you listen to the right kind of music (lyrics aside), it can only amplify your current state of being, at most. but sometimes you'll find rare gems that just grab you by the balls and pull you in a direction of its choosing.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Sep 27, 2009,
no it doesn
t

i do what i want. music gives me ideas and sparks some thoghts sometimes, but i am not influenced by it,i distance myself from my music sometimes.
Quote by estranged_g_n_r
Do you think that the music one listens to has a great influence on the mood of someone? For example do you think that someone who listens to a lot of violent/satanic death metal/black metal would be generally less happy or more prone to violence and rape than someone who listens to a lot of things that aren't fvcking kvlt? I've been wondering this recently because I listen to a lot of music with very negative themes, i.e killing, rape, fapping etc and am wondering if this will make my testicles shrink? I've tried listening to positive, upbeat music like Miley Cyrus and other relaxed stuff like that but I just don't like it, I don't know why. I've been wondering this ever since I realised that a lot of fans of artists like Fall Out Boy always seem really depressed and upset and so wondered if the music you listen to influences your general wellbeing and mood and state of fappiness?

What do you think?

I think I've had my fun for the night.

EDIT:
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Bitch went to prison. She's got street cred.
Last edited by jetfuel495 at Sep 27, 2009,