Hi guys,

My friend has an Ibanez s series guitar and wants to change the stock pickups. HSH

Here are the tones he is after

Bridge- Paul Gilbert / Racer X / Screaming lead tone

Middle- As strat like as possible

Neck- Warm and fat which will sound very nice when split with the single.

I've recommended a Paf Pro(Love the one in my PGM301) / Tone Zone for the bridge, a True Velvet in the middle and a Air Norton in the neck.

Do people have any other suggestions? I'd like to stay within dimarzio please, and yes I have tried many BKPs.

Thanks a lot

Ant
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
That's a decent pickup combination, but check out the Breed (neck) for the neck position. It has a warm tone that's great for soloing.
i have an ibanez s470 (main guitar), and changed my pickups to norton neck, tone zone bridge, left the middle alone ( ran out of cash )

it's a great combo i would recommend to anyone, but it all depends on the style you play,and your gear.

also, don't expect good cleans from the tone zone

PS: check out sound demo's from the dimarzio site!
Yea I have a tone zone in my RG550. I probably prefer the paf in my PGM301. A lot moree articulate
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
PAF Pro in the bridge, Seymour Duncan SSL-1 in the middle (on the cheap, or better still a BKP Mothers Milk) then an Evolution in the neck.

Cant beat it
That's perfect exept the bridge is essentially interchangable for whatever you think will get you best tone suited to your "feel"
I would ask him to listen to some clips and se what kin d of bridge h lies
Well larry Dimarzio replied

Re: Pickup suggestions Larry?
A Tone Zone doesn't really fit the description of a Racer X/screaming lead tone. Paul usually used brighter-sounding pickups in Racer X. An F-spaced PAF Pro would be better, or possibly a D Activator bridge model if he wants something hotter. A PAF Pro in the neck & True Velvet in the middle should be cool.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
my personal choice would be duncan 59's and a true velvet.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ