Hey guys,
Let me explain my problem to you.
I've been playing for 3-4 years now and due to wrist issues I wasn't really keeping my schedule.
To be frank, I used to pickup the guitar once a week :/.
That was caused by having a fender stratocaster which wouldn't stay in tune no matter how much I payed for new components.
But since I got myself new, shiny ESP M-II I absolutely adore, I've planning to nail sweeping, tapping and all the techniques I've always been trying to use since I remember.
Another issue concerning my slow proggress was me trying to hard to be to fast at given moment.
(I was angry at myself that on 2nd day on having my first axe, I wouldn't be able to play Arpeggios from Hell by Malmsteen.)
So I've decided to slow down from now on- I cant jump over some things and I need to come back for quite a bit of time to nail some issues I kept ignoring.
But here comes my problem: I don't really know what kind of routine should I follow.
I'd found this guy's videos: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=EBAD9F5F3B5C2613&search_query=todd+guitar and I tabbed all his excercises into GTP tab, but even spending only 3 minutes on each of these used to take me 3 hours. (Outcluding tapping section I tabbed in a different tab).
I've been looking for some cool songs that a intermediate could play, but it all comes down to breaking down solos which are to tough for me to master at this moment. (Lots of difficult techniques).
So I'm stuck and confused.
Should I play 20 different excercises-5 minutes each, or should I rather go for 1hour practice on alternate picking?
How much time should I spend on practising everyday?
BTW: Have you got any excercises on string changing? (I dont mean replacing strings ofc).
That seems to be my main "holdback" at the moment.

Have you got any advice for me?
Gettin' better ^_^
Yeah, focus on a few at a time... basically plan your progress if you want. So to get to sweeping you have to go through a few prelimanary exercises before you get it right (that is just an example, not saying you can't do it). String crossing exercises are what you are looking for. An easy example would be to play your scale to a metronome and accenting the string change on the click. Thats the simplest way of doing it.

String skipping's initial challenge would be to play your scale with the same idea behind it. There are shortcuts to everything and they work... and they're less expensive than buying certain books or going to download something which wastes the time you could have spent creating the exercise... make sense?

So find out where you want to be... and backtrack through that to where you need to start. Patience is key, as you may have found out with arpeggios from hell.

Songs someone else can help you out with, as when a person gives a level... I have no idea what they are capable of doing...
What I meant by string skipping is going down/up using alternate picking through the strings.
So it's like playing Cmajor or any other cord as an arpeggio using a pick.
It's on dramatically low level :/.
I can play really fast on one string but my fluency chokes every time I have to change a string.
Are there any particularly good working excercies that helped you out to develop comfort in that sector?
But how about the time? Rather 8 hours or 1 hour a day?
Gettin' better ^_^
maybe work on technique about an hour a day... 2 if you really hard up... 3 if you don't have a gf and 8 hours if your life is miserable.

The technique you describe is inner and outer picking... design exercises that uses those.
inner picking is like: up on low E string, down on A string...
outside is: down on E, up on A string

If you follow through on your chord/arpeggio alternate picking, it will be both inside and outside picking. You know what the problem is... now create the exercise that targets those...
I dont watch videos cos i'm a bitch... so i still have no idea... if i didn't help.. oops... maybe someone smarter can reply to the thread then
You get easily offended ;P. Way to easy.
I just wanted to make sure that you get my point there :P.
Gettin' better ^_^
those two topics are covered by John Petrucci in "Rock Discipline" as well as Steve Morse "Power Lines".... I'd rather have you watch the Steve Morse one as he'll tell you exactly what i did...

The petrucci one will have your arpeggiated chords in single, double and triple picking with string skipping involved. I think he may have an etude involving the picking too...

If you are so adamant that i'm still typing out my ass... then tab it in GP or something and I'll look at it, as I still won't watch a video.