yeah dude, you're really good.
I noticed some mistakes, but I don't know how to tell you to get better, besides just practice.
but you're really good, better than I was at 8 months, haha
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
You might be better off posting in the technique analysis sticky, but imo (for what its worth) you sound pretty darn good! Glad to see you're playing at a speed you can play it clean too - its much better for your playing (and our ears lol) than trying to force yourself to play it to the speed of the original

Only comment I would have is your picking hand looks a bit tense (look at your pinky) - try and keep it relaxed. You'll be more comfortable, and when you come to playing faster or for longer periods it should be easier if your hand is relaxed
Yeah, that was probably the fastest I could do it cleanly, my arm was already starting to feel slightly tense on the runs. Thanks for comments.
A little more work on vibrato agreed.

When playing the pattern at the end, try using your first three (or even two) fingers in ascending order with a side into the thrid note of the phrase and possibly out of as well.

Good work.
Technically its pretty awesome for an 8 month old guitarist.
The only thing I found really lacking was your phrasing and dynamic control, of which you didn't seem to have a whole lot of. This doesn't really matter too much as it takes a long time (Much much much longer than 8 months) to figure that out.

Good job.
Sorry this isn't really critiquing your playing but just a bit of advice for when recording. Stand a bit further away from the amp so you can't hear the pick hitting the strings.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
That video seems to be all right apart from the things that you already know but... how is your command of the basics? Playing malmsteen is all very well and good but can you do anything else?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Basics wise, strumming chords seems to be my only problem because my technique is lacking there. I chose not to focus too much on that after learning open chords and CAGED. Seems like an essential part of the basics so i'll get it down asap. At this stage, my music theory is alright, i know major/minor/pentatonic/harmonic minor scales,chords, and modes.

BTW: Do you really have to sit down for hours and practice vibrato and bending like you practice exercises and licks and start slowly? Perhaps my unsatisfactory vibrato could be due to me not putting enough hours into it
That must have taken a fair amount of dedication to achieve in 8 months... I'm impressed dude well done!

Do you have a teacher? How much do you practice?
Quote by Timothongz
Perhaps my unsatisfactory vibrato could be due to me not putting enough hours into it
I think your vibrato is really good for how long you've been playing - its not something that generally comes naturally at the start, as you're concentrating on actually playing the notes correctly. Once you get a bit further down the road you'll find you can focus more on your vibrato, and get it how you're happy with it.

Alternatively you could spend hours and hours practicing it
What is the bands name that did that song?You said it was a cover.Who made the song I wanna learn it :]
My gear
Schecter 7 string hellraiser
1984 Charvel (model unknown)
Mesa boogie Dual Recto Solo head
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
vodkannoodle:
When I first started I played about 5 hours a day for the first month, but I didnt get much better. After that I took lessons when school started and I play around 1.5 to 2 hours a day and maybe 3-4 on weekends.

Sicon: Yngwie Malmsteen. I think it's one of his easier songs, save the solo.
Quote by Timothongz
Basics wise, strumming chords seems to be my only problem because my technique is lacking there.

And therein lies the problem. I hate to be so cut and dried about anything but... if you haven't got a solid grip on the absolute basics you are useless as a musician.

All of your favourite guitarists got where they are today by going through the basics first, without that solid foundation you can't hope to be a virtuoso.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
+1

If you can't even make a cake you're in no position to be worrying about how to decorate it. Icing's all well and good, but whilst you can make an amazing cake without icing you can't serve somebody icing with no cake.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
+1

If you can't even make a cake you're in no position to be worrying about how to decorate it. Icing's all well and good, but whilst you can make an amazing cake without icing you can't serve somebody icing with no cake.

I like your analogy there Mr. Seagull. Well put.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Alright then, i'll work on my strumming for the time being and lay off on the shreddier stuff that i'm trying to learn.
Quote by Timothongz
Alright then, i'll work on my strumming for the time being and lay off on the shreddier stuff that i'm trying to learn.

You don't need to lay off of it, just incorporate that basic along with it so you are more well rounded as a player.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by Timothongz
Dunno if it'll help, but I improved my strumming a lot by practicing random strum patterns (basically any rhythm I could think of) with my strings muted, so it didn't sound evul while I was sorting my right hand out, and only put the chords back in when my right hand was comfortably doing what I wanted it to. I still regularly get caught out by odd timings, but I'm a darn sight better than I was
Very solid fretting hand technique...your thumb stays behind the neck most of the time and I don't see any noticeable tension in that hand.

Your picking hand looks like it might have some tension, but, for all I know, you could be completely relaxed. All that matters is that you pick from the wrist and stay relaxed. Everything else is just fluff.

Some slight constructive criticism:

- Your tone needs some work. Spend some time shaping it up nicely...it will make a huge difference. Cut back on the treble and boost the bass/mids a bit. The guitar is a mid-range instrument, after all.

- Try to accent your notes a little bit more. You'll find that when you play at high speeds, your playing will sound very aggressive (or fluid, if you're using economy picking) if you do so.

Keep up the good work. You'll be cutting swathes through your guitar in no time flat (well, longer than that obviously).
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
Quote by steven seagull
+1

Somebody's never eaten icing straight out of the tube!

Anyway, TS, relax your picking hand. I saw in your youtube comments that you said it wasn't tense even though the pinky looked tense... It is tense, there is no way it can be relaxed and look like that unless you've had some kind of tragic accident.
i've been playing for 7 months and i would say i'm better than you. of course im just judging your skill on that video, i dont know if you can play anything more challenging than that. my suggestion would be to just keep challenging yourself with stuff that seems really hard to you.
Well, first of all, I think you're doing great for 8 months. I was very impressed.

Some critique (this covers/expands on some of what has already been said).

- Basics. Sometimes getting a simple Nirvana song to where you can play it with real confidence and authority - ie really go off on it, can be as important as playing a harder piece. The ultimate goal, of course, is that you want to take the harder stuff and play it with the same confidence and authority, but some easy material helps you find it in the first place.
- More basics. It sounds like you've been neglecting your rhythm playing - not necessarily just having a wider array of chords that you know, just rhythm in general. Here's the thing, a person may only know a half dozen or a dozen chords, but if they are using them fluently and have a great sense of timing, then some fundamentally very good things have occured to your guitar playing to get to that point. Even just with power chords, a person can develop a great sense of timing. Honestly, that's my biggest criticism of your playing to this point - your sense of timing and accenting. Sure, you are hitting the metronome clicks most of the time, but there is an overall lack of an underlying pulse - like you are hearing the beat, but not feeling it. This is a big part of why playing some easy stuff to get the basics down is so important - that is where you find that groove, the feeling of being totally locked on, "in the pocket" as some people say. You can't find that on the hard stuff, unless you've already found it on the easy stuff.
- A couple of technique things:
- You've got tension in your right hand - as evidenced by the partial pinky claw.
- Your left hand, though very fluent, is flailing a bit. Over time try to work your way closer to the fretboard.

The thing about your guitar skills is that virtually everything is interconnected. The same co-ordination that allows you to change chords smoothly helps you with your lead playing. The timing you develop in your rhythm playing is the same timing you use for your lead. The dexterity and control you get from learning a controlled legato line, goes into making your picked runs sound better.

I feel a bit like I'm being a bit nit picky, or too critical - honestly, this is stuff that after 8 months you are not expected to have down well. I'll say it again, you're doing really, really well - just wanted to keep the criticism in context.
I think its youtube/camera affecting the sound of the video as my tone doesn't sound like that in real life.

About the tension part, must you start as slow as possible without tension before speeding up so that you won't be tense at faster speeds? Or should I just keep practicing at the speed I am at now?
Its not a case of playing as slow as possible - you play however slow you need to, to have complete control over what you are doing - then you can eliminate the tension, work on economy of motion, and develop your fretting/picking hand coordination.
Man that pinky was scary ha.
Yeah dude you are doing great for only playing eight months. I'm so jealous that you have a better guitar than me and you just began dangit!
As for the tension problem, if you want to try sticking your last three fingers almost straight out while playing and holding the pick with your finger and thumb, it should be better. Oh and just stay RELAXED.
Oh and chords & strumming are VERY important, so i'd definitely worry about those before you start shredding all the time. I mean don't cut out shredding completely, but incorperate chords into your shredding (if you know how).
What kind of amp are you using by the way?
My Music-
http://www.myspace.com/cam3r0nb
Gear
- '09 Orange Rocker 30
- Orange 1x12 cab and Crate 4x12 cab
- '04 Epiphone Les Paul Custom (White/Gold)
- Line 6 POD XT Live linked to a BBE Sonic Stomp
- Ibanez V70CE (Black)
Cube 30. Not that great but I don't have the funds for a new amp, and I don't know which amp to buy because everything that sounds great is too loud (100W).
Quote by Timothongz
About the tension part, must you start as slow as possible without tension before speeding up so that you won't be tense at faster speeds? Or should I just keep practicing at the speed I am at now?

Just make sure you warm up well before playing....
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"