Hi

I've been using my boss super overdrive for a while now to give me that bit of exra sustain when soloing along with a micro amp in my fx loop for the volume. This setup works great for me as I can have either sustain and a bit of volume or sustain and a load of volume.

Anyway, the main problem as i'm sure you're aware of is the lack of bass in the pedal. It just sucks it all out and leaves you with this tinny squeal. What i'm looking for is a pedal that will give me the proper gain but also doesn't alter the tone much at all.

I know tubescreamers are pretty good but what other alternatives would you suggest? a blues driver maybe?

any recommendations welcome
Budget?

Blues drivers, although named blues, has an unusable amount of gain, and wouldnt really do much for a clean gain. I would sudgest either a Volume boost like an LPB-1 by Electro Harmonix or the Pickup Booster by Seymour Duncan.
Gear

Fender Lite Ash Tele

Satellite 65/T

Yamaha RBX375
Sounds like he's looking for that gain.

Blues Driver would be a good choice, they're not too far from a TS9.

Another good TS variant is the Bad Monkey, it has seperate bass and treble controls, plus they're dirt cheap and easy to mod.
If you want to add some bass to your SD-1 just change C3 to a 0.1uf capacitor. If you want even more bass try something like 0.22uf.
Quote by Griffin Effects
If you want to add some bass to your SD-1 just change C3 to a 0.1uf capacitor. If you want even more bass try something like 0.22uf.

Just pop out C3 and solder the new one in? Is this pretty easy? I've never modded a pedal, but I have done plenty of soldering and general electrical fixes, so if it is that simple I'd be fine.

Thanks for asking this TS, I've been bothered by it a lot lately. Last night, I actually found a decent solution; with the SD-1 on set up an EQ pedal to boost the bass and mids, and cut treble to taste, then any time you kick on the SD-1, throw the EQ on with it. So you basically have an EQ in your chain solely to make up for the SD-1s poor low end. Sucks to have to do, but at least it helps.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
the sd-1 and the tubescreamer are the exact sm thing besides the buffers and asym clipping.

there is a cap connected to pin 2 of the ic chip in either, this cap sets the pinch off point that keeps the lows from getting distorted. many ppul put in a 'fat switch' that bridges a wire before this cap - taking it out of the mix altogether and giving you a tubescreamer that works like a charm for bass.

I believe fulltones fulldrive (also a tubescreamer clone) has this feature. or get familiar with a soldering iron - I'd be happy to point out the cap to you.

EDIT: I see someone mentioned c3... that's be the one. probably want to bridge it with a wire tho and let ALL the lows back in for bass... take the cap out altogether... or set it up on a switch so you can drop it out at will.

I would also be happy to sell you this (I'm putting it on ebay either way):
Last edited by mistermikev at Sep 16, 2009,
Quote by tubetime86
Just pop out C3 and solder the new one in? Is this pretty easy? I've never modded a pedal, but I have done plenty of soldering and general electrical fixes, so if it is that simple I'd be fine.

Thanks for asking this TS, I've been bothered by it a lot lately. Last night, I actually found a decent solution; with the SD-1 on set up an EQ pedal to boost the bass and mids, and cut treble to taste, then any time you kick on the SD-1, throw the EQ on with it. So you basically have an EQ in your chain solely to make up for the SD-1s poor low end. Sucks to have to do, but at least it helps.

Yep, its just taking out the cap and soldering in a new one. I believe C3 is "glued" to C1 and C2 with some soft stuff. Be careful removing the glue. It's better to cut the glue with a razor rather than peel it away. Don't mess up the other caps. It's really easy though.
if you just want a boost for extra sustain and volume during solos, then look up the Lizard Leg Effects Blue Tail bass booster. they make one of the cleanest boosts i have ever heard.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Changing caps can make a big difference sometimes. With a single coil guitar a bigger cap would work well, but humbuckers might get muddy. So they tend to err on the side of caution and go with a smaller cap. Looking at the schematic the .047 input cap would help if you want more bass. But there is an even smaller cap between the input buffer and the first gain stage where it splits to go to the bypass or the IC, its .018uf, might help more to change this 1.
cheers for all the input guys.

just to clarify, i'm not really after a clean boost at all, thats already sorted. what i'm after is something to give that extra oomph to solo's and give them all the balls they need