Hey guys I have a question about live gigs. In this Slayer video there is a HUGE wall of Marshal Amps/cabinets. Why so many? Do the guitar speakers broadcast the guitar sound to the audience or are the guitar cabs mic'd up? What kind of PA system would you need at a concert like that? I'm just curious...it seems like it would be one HELL of a system!
My Gear:

B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Series
Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
They're just empty cabs to make them look cool, only one of them will be mic'd up and running into the sound system.
Usually, only a few of the cabs are actually functional. You don't need a wall of speakers to play such a concert. Often enough, only one amp is working (and it might even be hidden behind all the stacks, heh) and is miced to the PA, which does the rest.

Now why would anyone want to lug around so many cabs then? - Because they look pretty on stage.
LOL wow..I would have never guessed. If they used all of those amps I thought "how the can they hear anymore?"
My Gear:

Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
I remember ZZ Top having these massive walls of white tolex Marshalls, and Billy Gibbons just kept a little Fender Champ mic'd up underneath the stage.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I wonder what it would sound like if you linked 50 100watt heads to 50 different full stacks and then ran it all to just your guitar? I cant even comprehend what it would do or how to do it. lol

LOL!!! I think it'll be like the garage scene in Back to the Future when Michael J Fox strikes a power chord on the huge amp and gets blown back LOL
My Gear:

Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
Quote by marc0mu
They're just empty cabs to make them look cool, only one of them will be mic'd up and running into the sound system.

Actually, in Slayer's case (and in a lot of bands' cases), two of the cabs will be mic'd. Kerry has one cab that is loaded with G12K-100s and one cab that is loaded with V30s.

But yea, all of the other cabs are completely empty and only used for show. Its actually more of an advertisement for the company than anything else because people will go home saying "So and so had so many (insert brand name here)s on stage!!! I can't believe it!". That's why companies like to send the people they endorse empty cabs.
I was at the Lynyrd Skynyrd concert last week and they had 3 of the GR sig Peavey full stacks up, the stage rotates in circles and you one of the full stacks didnt have any speakers, they other had two combo amps in the cabs.

If you look all the way to the right you can see the two combos hidden in the full stack
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
i got another example Slipknot live have a hench sound really power full and both guitarists are running one head into 2 cabs for the front of house and the another head running the same settings running to an ISO cab for the PA and Moniters so u really done need a wall of cabs haha unless ur red hot chilli peppers where he has a load of diffrent heads running two cabs each haha
Quote by SWBS_DJ_GUITAR
...so u really done need a wall of cabs haha unless ur red hot chilli peppers where he has a load of diffrent heads running two cabs each haha

Or unless you're Tim Mahoney from 311. He uses 4 Diamond heads - Diamond Spitfire II (Dirty/wet), Diamond Phantom (Dirty/dry), a second Diamond Spitfire II (clean/master), and a second Diamond Phantom (clean/slave). Each one of those heads goes to 2 4x12 Diamond cabs.