I've been playing 'Uprising' by Muse. It's a real simple bass line made up completely of alternating octaves to a particular rhythm. Lower down on the neck I have to play these octaves using my first and 4th finger on the A and G strings but up higher near the 12th fret I can comfortably use my 1st and 3rd finger.

I saw the band play it live and noticed that their bass player was using his 1st and 3rd finger for all of the song and I couldn't figure out whether it was just because he has way bigger hands than me or whether he had a small scale bass.

I've tried using my 1st and 3rd finger and I can barely manage it on the lower frets so I'm wondering if this is normal or whether my hands are just to small to play it like that. Of course it could just be me playing the bass wrong. I don't think my fretting hand is positioned incorrectly. I keep the thumb centred on the back of the neck.

Sorry for the long first post
Last edited by Dom152 at Sep 16, 2009,
your hands must be really small cause i can comfortably use my 1st and 3rd fingers to play octaves on even my acoustic bass, which has bigger frets than an electric
Its normal and the bass is probably not short scale.

If you have bigger hands, the stretch on the lower frets is much easier, but its not impossible for smaller hands to do this. It takes some time and practice to make those octave stretches in the lower frets. Practice spider scales; they are great for stretching and building the muscle memory and strength for those octave reaches.

And if you use your 1st and 4th, its really no big deal imho.
As you are probably aware, the bass is tuned in such a way that the 5th fret of one string is the same as the open string above it. So, say those notes on the A and G are at the 5th and 7th frets, you could always just shove them down a string and play the 10th and 12th frets on the E and D strings.

See what I'm getting at?
Thanks for the fast replies!

I know about moving the octaves to different strings but I prefer the sound I get by playing lower down on the higher strings to what i get playing higher up on lower strings. Maybe that's just me.

Thanks again, I'll check out those exercises you mentioned.
You can make the stretch, your hands get more flexible after practice. +1 for spider excercises, and try doing stuff 1 finger per fret.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Spider excercises is defintaly the way to go. Yeah Chris Wolstenholm has huge hands that's why it looks easy for him. I was watching the Resistance making of dvd and Matt even made a joke about his hands
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
He uses an American Deluxe Jazz Bass so it's not the bass...

you must just have small hands
Quote by Deliriumbassist
As you are probably aware, the bass is tuned in such a way that the 5th fret of one string is the same as the open string above it. So, say those notes on the A and G are at the 5th and 7th frets, you could always just shove them down a string and play the 10th and 12th frets on the E and D strings.

See what I'm getting at?

Ben, I do that a fair bit, but the problem arises when you have to do octaves on the low F - A on the E string.
Bassists who also play upright usually actually do what you do. Typically for most lines, we use 3 and 4 as one finger and only use the pinky independently when we have to.

This technique dramatically increases stamina and almost eliminates tendon problems in the left hand.

It also helps with intonation on fretless basses
yea yuo should be able to use your 1st and 3rd easy... try having your bass at a slight angle (towards you) and make sure your thumb is directly under your first finger, if that doesn't help at all just keep doing the spiders.
i use my index and little finger for this song but i can use my 3rd. just do what your comfortable with

Quote by zeroncali
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elElYLYG-yU

Looks to me like he is using his index and pinky. There is a really good shot at 2:11 (so start it a couple of secs before hand, as it is a really quick shot)

while we are on the subject, anyone know what bass that is?
It's a headless Status Graphite S2 Classic.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding