Hi I have an Ibanez GRG170DX and I'm trying to get a new nut for it. I want a bone one and it's very hard to find them anywhere. Internet, local guitar stores, etc. So can anyone help me with finding one?
Ibanez GRG170DX
Marshall MG30DFX
Some Fender amp
And some Fender acoustic
Well I know they do since my friend has a bone nut on his electric guitar and it is one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever played so...
Ibanez GRG170DX
Marshall MG30DFX
Some Fender amp
And some Fender acoustic
Yes of course, the nut is always the thing that makes guitar nice to play. *facepalm*
^^+1

I'm sure there's a luthier in your area, you can practically find them everywhere. Not all of them have a website though, mind you. Take a look at the good ol' phonebook.

Quote by blue_strat

I don't think electric guitars use bone nuts - it certainly wouldn't make a noticable difference to your tone with your current setup.

Actually they do. Cheaper ones usually use plastic though.

Quote by marc0mu
Yes of course, the nut is always the thing that makes guitar nice to play. *facepalm*

A poorly filed nut will screw up your intenation, at least concerning the lower half of the fretboard. It's tricky to get them right.

Don't know what you're talking about? Don't talk then.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 16, 2009,
I'll look for a luthier I guess and it isn't broken it just sucks really bad and makes it go out of tune really fast. I tried many things on the internet to see why it goes out of tune and I figured out its the nut so I just want to get a new one and I was recommended getting a bone one would be the best option
Ibanez GRG170DX
Marshall MG30DFX
Some Fender amp
And some Fender acoustic
Quote by marc0mu

Why on earth did you say this when the person above clearly knew what they were talking about? It makes you seem completely stupid..

And so as not to spam, getting a bone nut would be too expensive and complicated to make it worth it in your position. If the nut is the problem, something cheaper now will do the trick. Once you have your own perfect guitar, then worry about such things like bone nuts
Last edited by ProgFolk12 at Sep 16, 2009,
Well can I buy nuts that fit my guitar or do I need a luthier to make one out of something else. And if someone knows where I can get one post a link please
Ibanez GRG170DX
Marshall MG30DFX
Some Fender amp
And some Fender acoustic
Quote by ProgFolk12
Why on earth did you say this when the person above clearly knew what they were talking about? It makes you seem completely stupid..

And so as not to spam, getting a bone nut would be too expensive and complicated to make it worth it in your position. If the nut is the problem, something cheaper now will do the trick. Once you have your own perfect guitar, then worry about such things like bone nuts

last time I bought a bone nut, custom fitted for my Ibanez, it was 30€. The nut itself is cheap (5€ if I recall correctly), but cutting and filing is a bit time consuming and therefore pricier.

But still, it's not really all that expensive.

Quote by seanandahalf
Well can I buy nuts that fit my guitar or do I need a luthier to make one out of something else. And if someone knows where I can get one post a link please

You'll most likely need it custom made for you. Don't worry about finding a nut, just find a luthier. He'll have all the suplies.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 16, 2009,
I just want a nut that will keep my guitar in tune that's it
Ibanez GRG170DX
Marshall MG30DFX
Some Fender amp
And some Fender acoustic
You might just try greasing your current nut first. Putting a little graphit in the slots usually helps. You can use a soft pencil, they're made of graphit mostly.
I want to get a Edge Zero bridge with ZPS3 for my guitar. The part that is at the nut which I believe is the ZPS3 (not sure though) is it a nut with more stuff on it or does it go over top of the nut?
Ibanez GRG170DX
Marshall MG30DFX
Some Fender amp
And some Fender acoustic
The ZPS is not located at the nut. What you see there is a so called locking nut, which is used to lock the strings in place with a couple of screws. The problem is that you need to drill holes through the neck just under the nut in order to install a locking nut.

Another, bigger problem is fitting an Edge Zero Bridge on a guitar that was not designed for it. This takes a lot of wood working skills, because you'd have to root out some wood underneath the bridge and probably would have to yank out and relocate the two cylindrical thingies (forgot what they're called) the whole unit rests on.

Now, getting all the work done by a luthier combined with the cost of the tremolo unit would cost you a lot of money, more than your GRG is worth. Far more. The money would be wasted because it'd still be a low end instrument that you'll most likely replace sooner or later anyway.

It'd probably be cheaper if you looked for a used Ibanez S series guitar, the S320 being the cheapest one around, they can be bought used for as little as 300$. They come with a ZR tremolo, which is a little different from the Edge Zero, but it's got the ZPS, too, if that's all that important to you.
Ok well I'm not doing that then too much money. I'm not going to waste that much on it when I could just save up and get the other guitar I want with that money.
Ibanez GRG170DX
Marshall MG30DFX
Some Fender amp
And some Fender acoustic
Quote by seanandahalf
Ok well I'm not doing that then too much money. I'm not going to waste that much on it when I could just save up and get the other guitar I want with that money.

+1, is really the better option. Good floating bridges are expensive to buy, and even more expensive to fit if it isn't a drop in replacement. (I don't know if this is the case with your guitar).

Also, with a floating bridge a locking nut and/or locking tuners are really a must. This too would cost money, totalling more than your guitar is worth. I second the idea of getting a nicer guitar.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by seanandahalf
Well I know they do since my friend has a bone nut on his electric guitar and it is one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever played so...

A bone nut wont make your guitar beautiful. It probably wont even do anything to your looks, tone, or anything for that matter. What are you trying to change in your sound/appearence by getting a bone nut?
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by smartalec007
A bone nut wont make your guitar beautiful. It probably wont even do anything to your looks, tone, or anything for that matter. What are you trying to change in your sound/appearence by getting a bone nut?

I'm only trying to get a new nut so my guitar stays in tune. I don't know what you are talking about.
Ibanez GRG170DX
Marshall MG30DFX
Some Fender amp
And some Fender acoustic