I have a Fender Strat Highway One and I need an amp. I'm taking out the bottom single coil and replacing it with a single coil sized humbucker for that deeper sound.

Right now, I have no idea what to look at. The only thing in my head right now is the fender frontman 2x12. I had a Hughes & Kettner MKII triamp and I loved the sound from that. I sold that though to fund the photography business so now that I'm getting back into playing guitar, I need something.

I want a combo. I love the sound I got from all three channels on the triamp, but I don't love the price of a tube amp. The biggest venue I'll probably play would be bars/bar rooms and if it's any larger, I can mic the amp.

I like really clean distortion. I don't want anything too deep and too muddy I had that problem with the first amp I ever owned, a crate DX head and cab.

Any suggestions on where to start my search?
I play guitar like a pirate with two hooks....so...uh...just call me Meathook! Yar!
What kind of music, and price range?
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Those are the two most important things we need to know.

Also, is your hometown pronounced Shepherd's Turd?

Close enough.

Covers I'm putting together to play on open mic night range from Coheed & Cambria, Silver Chair, The Refreshments, OAR, Rise Against, Etc...

Price range? Under $500 is preferable, but if there's a viable option that's not much more, then go ahead and recommend it. Something that I could hook up to an external cabinet would be nice.

I have a 400w Yorkville bass combo that has a head that can be rack mounted and ran to external speakers. Something like that, but no necessarily with a detachable head would be nice.
I play guitar like a pirate with two hooks....so...uh...just call me Meathook! Yar!
And how efficient is tube wattage in a combo? The H&K was 100w IIRC, but a lot of the combos are around 15w. Is that going to effectiviely push the amp with a clean sound?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Also, is your hometown pronounced Shepherd's Turd?

Its Shepardstown, but he is commenting on the fact that the town is in fact a large turd. Its a tiny, tiny, tiny college town full of old hippies surrounded by mountains and hillbillies.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^Oh, lovely.

I'd be looking at stuff like a Randall RG50TC, Traynor YCV40/YCV50 Blue, or a Kustom Coupe.

For the last 3, look on the used market.

Quote by cokronk
And how efficient is tube wattage in a combo? The H&K was 100w IIRC, but a lot of the combos are around 15w. Is that going to effectiviely push the amp with a clean sound?

Wattage does determine headroom. A 15W amp should be able to play with most drummers, but one may find it hard to get a clean sound at that level of volume. The power amp will be distorting at that point.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Sep 16, 2009,
Quote by tubetime86
Its Shepardstown, but he is commenting on the fact that the town is in fact a large turd. Its a tiny, tiny, tiny college town full of old hippies surrounded by mountains and hillbillies.

There's normal people here. And we're too far East to be surrounded by mountains or hillbillies.
Quote by cokronk
There's normal people here. And we're too far East to be surrounded by mountains or hillbillies.

I'm just messing around. I haven't been there in probably 8 years, but I used to pass through to go to the river all the time. There aren't mountains per se, but it is rolling with hills IIRC, and there are definitely some interesting folk in the surrounding areas, not sure what you'd call them if not hillbillies.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I'm just messing around. I haven't been there in probably 8 years, but I used to pass through to go to the river all the time. There aren't mountains per se, but it is rolling with hills IIRC, and there are definitely some interesting folk in the surrounding areas, not sure what you'd call them if not hillbillies.

Rednecks. Hillbillies are farther West.
Quote by cokronk
Rednecks. Hillbillies are farther West.

Haha, I guess so.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Ok thanks John we needed a little focus here. Just always funny to actually have something in common with someone on here regionally.

Anyways, I can't really recommend something to you without more info on the sound you are looking for. List off 5 or so bands that you like the sound of or like to play, and I can recommend something. Also we need a budget to be any help.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Oh, lovely.

I'd be looking at stuff like a Randall RG50TC, Traynor YCV40/YCV50 Blue, or a Kustom Coupe.

For the last 3, look on the used market.

Wattage does determine headroom. A 15W amp should be able to play with most drummers, but one may find it hard to get a clean sound at that level of volume. The power amp will be distorting at that point.

Quote by forsaknazrael
Just so it doesn't get missed in this discussion of local color...I did make some recommendations....

So what about a 40-50w 2x12 tube? Is there anything like that in my price range?
Quote by tubetime86
Ok thanks John we needed a little focus here. Just always funny to actually have something in common with someone on here regionally.

Anyways, I can't really recommend something to you without more info on the sound you are looking for. List off 5 or so bands that you like the sound of or like to play, and I can recommend something. Also we need a budget to be any help.

Quote by cokronk
Covers I'm putting together to play on open mic night range from Coheed & Cambria, Silver Chair, The Refreshments, OAR, Rise Against, Etc...

I really like the sounds from Coheed. Especially off of the Second Stage Turbine Blade. I'm sure there's lots of effects there though.
Quote by cokronk
I really like the sounds from Coheed. Especially off of the Second Stage Turbine Blade. I'm sure there's lots of effects there though.

Hmmm, that's a tough one. What is your budget, because anything less than around $500 is gonna be an approximation, above that we can get a lot closer.

Edit: That is a pretty tight, high gain tone so you'd be looking at Peavey Ultras, XXXs, JSXs, 5150s, 6505s which all come in 2x12, but you'd pretty much have to look used for everything but the JSX or 6505. If you want a bit of a compromise I'd look at a Classic 30, its not quite gonna be tight enough for Coheed but with a nice boost it'd be damn close and its a lot more versatile than most high gainers, also its only $350 used.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Sep 16, 2009,
Some one said Claudio was using a Marshall TSL series & JCM800 in the early days.

The mid distortion channel on the Hughes was spot on. It had a marshall sound to it. I suppose I should be looking at Marshall amps, but I'm not looking for something huge to have to lug around.

ED: Says he plays Vox for some tracks now.
Last edited by cokronk at Sep 16, 2009,
Just browsing Peavy on GC's website. 6505 60w 1x12 for $599. Could that be connected to an external 2x12 cabinet? How is 1x12 going to compare to something like a Classic 50 with 2x12? That may be an option.
Quote by cokronk
Just browsing Peavy on GC's website. 6505 60w 1x12 for $599. Could that be connected to an external 2x12 cabinet? How is 1x12 going to compare to something like a Classic 50 with 2x12? That may be an option.

Ya it can be hooked to a cab easily. Now that I think about it Claudio probably didn't have the Uberschall for SSTB, so you're probably right that is a Marshall of some sort. A JCM 800 would be good, or a 900 could probably work. I think a Classic 30 would really be pretty damn good for you though, and they are easy to find used.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Ya it can be hooked to a cab easily. Now that I think about it Claudio probably didn't have the Uberschall for SSTB, so you're probably right that is a Marshall of some sort. A JCM 800 would be good, or a 900 could probably work. I think a Classic 30 would really be pretty damn good for you though, and they are easy to find used.

I got my classic 30 for 250 used. And Eurotubes.com has a tube kit that is supposed to give the amp more gain than stock. you can just pop the tubes right in and play since the classic 30 is fixed bias. It is the easiest, and one of the cheapest, tube amps to maintain imo.

oh ya, and it kicks large ammounts of ass