Hey as the title says I'm looking for a new acoustic-electric in the 2000 to 2500 dollar price range. I play anything from Blues to Classic Rock to.. whatever but I mainly play Texas Country. I want something with a really even tone, maybe a little more on the basey end, with good electronics for gigs and open mics ect. I'm gonna go to a guitar store later today or later this week n try some out, just trying to get a good idea of what guitars have what to offer in that price range. Thanks.

Edit: Oh and also for the last 7 years I've played a cheaper takamine with probably the worst action ever, so playability is a huuuuge factor.
I step up to da mic. Bust a rhyme about my hoes, tippin' on fo' fo's.. and someone shoots me in the face. Because rap is stupid.

Quote by Laces Out Danny
YOU ARE the PIT!!!
Last edited by Trivium at Sep 16, 2009,
I've never really been a fan of the way ovations look..
I step up to da mic. Bust a rhyme about my hoes, tippin' on fo' fo's.. and someone shoots me in the face. Because rap is stupid.

Quote by Laces Out Danny
YOU ARE the PIT!!!
Well I can go $3000, but I most Gibson guitars I've dealt with have been good, just not worth the price because of the name.

Quote by Laces Out Danny
YOU ARE the PIT!!!
For $2000-$2500, I think you're within the range of the Taylor and Martin camp. Get a Martin if you want a warm sound, and a Taylor if you want a clear, balanced sound.

Also, try out a couple Rainsongs, and tell me how they are.
haha alright will do, anybody have ne experience with the taylor t5? I gotta feelin they lack on the acoustic part

Quote by Laces Out Danny
YOU ARE the PIT!!!
Quote by i_don't_know
For $2000-$2500, I think you're within the range of the Taylor and Martin camp. Get a Martin if you want a warm sound, and a Taylor if you want a clear, balanced sound.

Also, try out a couple Rainsongs, and tell me how they are.

Essentially this, but be sure to also check it some Breedloves Perhaps? They make some pretty good guitars.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
gh board? i don't think so.. and yea I've looked at some breedloves, really wanna play one

Quote by Laces Out Danny
YOU ARE the PIT!!!
I have no experience w/ that guitar but ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS PLAY BEFORE YOU BUY!!!.......dont forget to insure just incase.
And now, the brands!

Takamine
Taylor
Martin
Breedlove
Alvarez Yairi
Seagull

Just to name a few.

And....HOLY CRAP THAT BREEDLOVE IN THE LINK IS QUITE POSSIBLY THE MOST SEXY ACOUSTIC MY EYES HAVE EVER SEEENNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EEKSTACK!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Stratocaster
Taylor 210 Dreadnought Acoustic
Bogner Alchemist 40w 212 Tube combo
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Korg Pitch Black
that breedlove looks really nice. i'm a big fan of koa. i found breedloves to be stiffer to play than other guitars, although as with all guitars - including your cheap tak - you can have the saddle and nut lowered to make it play easier.

btw, the gibsons i've played were exceptionally nice balanced guitars. in fact, i'd say the true vintage j45 come the closest to me to the sound you say you want. failing that, personal taste rears its head. i don't care for martins myself, but it's very possible that they also deliver the sound you describe, as do some taylors.

the only ovation that comes close is the al dimeola model, which i must admit sounds great and feels equally good.
^I don't know why everyone says Breeds are stiffer to play. I don't notice a bit of difference between them and any other guitar. Maybe some people are just too picky or sensitive?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone

And....HOLY CRAP THAT BREEDLOVE IN THE LINK IS QUITE POSSIBLY THE MOST SEXY ACOUSTIC MY EYES HAVE EVER SEEENNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EEKSTACK!

I know right? haha gotta make a trip this week to the guitar center.. hey anyone ever get ne guitars from best buy? Wierd question I know but I work at best buy and apparantly some of the bigger stores have full music section with legit guitars, and it'd be great to get to use my discount on it lol

Quote by Laces Out Danny
YOU ARE the PIT!!!
hard to say if i'm "too" sensitive, but the breeds hurt my fingers and wrists, even with extra light strings.

Quote by Natrone
^I don't know why everyone says Breeds are stiffer to play. I don't notice a bit of difference between them and any other guitar. Maybe some people are just too picky or sensitive?
Quote by Trivium
I know right? haha gotta make a trip this week to the guitar center.. hey anyone ever get ne guitars from best buy? Wierd question I know but I work at best buy and apparantly some of the bigger stores have full music section with legit guitars, and it'd be great to get to use my discount on it lol

I just played a few at the Best Buy at the Mall of America. They had decent selection. Not the greatest though.

Although, with how awesome the Best Buy employee discount is, I think the lack of selection almost makes it worth it to buy from there.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Trivium
haha alright will do, anybody have ne experience with the taylor t5? I gotta feelin they lack on the acoustic part

I love my T5. first off its perfect for my situation and the sound of my band which is a Goo Goo Dolls type mix of electric and acousitc guitar. I dont find the acoustic sound to be lacking at all for what it is. Im using it with light guage D'addario electric strings at the moment and the acoustic sound is still very acoustic.

I tried going directly into my laptop with it a few days ago. nothing but guitar, cable, and a 1/4" to 1/8" conversion plug straight into the microphone input of my laptop. I did some recording with Audacity and was really surprised at how good the acoustic sounded plugged straight in like this. I'd love to hear with a good pre-amp like the K4 or fishman pro eq platinum.

I wouldnt get the T5 if you're just looking for an acoustic. If you're looking for very versatile tool that does well in both acoustic and electric sounds than the T5 might be for you. since playability is a big factor with you I gotta tell you the T5 plays better than any electric I've ever touched.

but again, if you're looking for JUST an acoustic and you're playing texas country while looking for a very clear and balanced tone then your best option really comes down to a Taylor 614ce. Maple back and sides, about $2700, and the Expression System in the high end Taylors is great. the maple has a really tight and focused tone. not a lot of overtones like rosewood, but thats better in a live mix because guitars with too many overtones get lost in the mix really easy. maple on the other hand IS the tone wood of choice for country artists for the very reason that it cuts through the mix of the many instruments involved in a live country set. and of course the Taylor action is unbeatable. Good luck!
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
So I decided I'm definately going through my discount, i can get this for less than this one and the price on that second one is just rediculously good.

Quote by Laces Out Danny
YOU ARE the PIT!!!
Go try both out. They will both have much different tonal qualities since they're made of completely different tonewoods.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Trivium
So I decided I'm definately going through my discount, i can get this for less than this one and the price on that second one is just rediculously good.

I would deffinitely play them first. Koa and EIR are both very overtone laden tonewoods. They sound beautiful for sure, but might not be the best option for your live applications. If you use these guitars in a full band situation at average full band volumes you might not get the clarity and cut your looking for. On their own they both sound amazing, though. Just have those considerations in mind when picking your "performance" guitar. I might even be wrong since I've never used either one of these guitars in a full band setting, Im just going by what I've been told by a lot of people in the Taylor Guitar Forum. I hope everything works out!

EDIT: Holy crap I didnt even know that best buy sold Taylor guitars. I know some of them have instrument sections now, but I didnt know they carried anything more expensive than a Vox AC30. Mine only has some mediocre to fairly nice keyboards
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Last edited by Bright Light at Sep 21, 2009,
Yea the best buy that's like an hour away has em, goin to check it out tommorow, prolly gonna make a purchase

Quote by Laces Out Danny
YOU ARE the PIT!!!