I'm wondering of I can get some help on a Les Paul I'm interested in. The seller says it is a 1982 Les Paul, mint condition. He's selling for $575. I think its sorta fishy that he's selling a '82 Les Paul for such a low price and I'm wondering if it's actually an authentic Gibson. So are there any questions I could ask the seller? He lives seven hours away so I may not get to play it before it's sold.

Heres the link for some pictures.
http://www.nlclassifieds.com/classifieds/Music/Guitars/279823
Thanks
Strange bevels, selector in the wrong place, weird horn. If it's a real Gibson it's probably some student model.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
that seems really odd that someone would want to sell a mint condition gibson les paul for that low. so low that im not even sure if i would want to look into it it just seems a bit fishy. id say only try it if you could play it beforehand. ask him why he's selling it so low too.
one of the main sign of counterfeit on gibson is the truss rod cover, the counterfeits have 3 screws instead of 2, this one have two screws but the pick up switch is placed right after the knobs and I think it should be above the neck pick up
I asked for the PIN and all he gave me was this.

"the serial # confirmes that it is a 1982 1st and 5th numbers. Are you interested in the les paul?"

EDIT: It does look like "The Paul" though.
Last edited by carpenter11 at Sep 16, 2009,
Quote by carpenter11

EDIT: It does look like "The Paul" though.

Its because it is a 'The Paul'.
Get it, and you'll have such a brilliant guitar for such a good price.
Quote by Baby Joel
Its because it is a 'The Paul'.
Get it, and you'll have such a brilliant guitar for such a good price.

Thanks for all the info, but the article you posted states "gibson wanted to try a new line of less expensive but good enough to play on stage guitars to commidate the student or the guitar player who didnt want to invest too much on a guitar ."

Sorry to be anal,but this sounds like a Les Paul studio type model to me, does anyone have any experience with The Paul, is it actually reminiscent of a standard?
guitar players today still buy them because they are workhorses ( solid ) , sound good , and are not expensive at all ,

Seems pretty good for me.
Also:
1978 - 1982 > $800 to $1 200 ( the paul )

You're basically getting a $250 discount.

If you have more money, then you might be better off getting another guitar. But frankly, for $575, this is a killer deal.
I have had several Gibson The Paul models it looks legit from the pics but I can't say 100%. The Paul was not a very expensive guitar originally and really hasn't gone up in value in the secondary market. All that said it's not a bad price at all they are great guitars they play well and sound great.

Here is a close up pic you can see the beveled edge.

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/images/30U/30U-12989_body-front.jpg

As far as counterfeit Gibsons go do not go by the old rules counterfeiters are now making them with two screw truss rod covers, the correct angled head stocks and they seemed to have been able to get the serial numbers right problem is all the guitars have the same number 80% of the time. You really have to go over a Les Paul or any guitar you think is too good to be true.

John
That is a real Gibson model, $575 is not too low for that guitar. Some of you guys need to realize that Gibson made a TON of different, strange models throughout the '70s and early '80s while Norlin owned, most of these guitars are not very good and can be bought for relatively cheap. In general, Norlin era Gibsons are not very highly regarded. Nobody is going to charge a ton of money for one of those mainly because no one is going to buy one for a ton of money.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 16, 2009,
Quote by al112987
That is a real Gibson model, $575 is not too low for that guitar. Some of you guys need to realize that Gibson made a TON of different, strange models throughout the '70s and early '80s while Norlin owned, most of these guitars are not very good and can be bought for relatively cheap. In general, Norlin era Gibsons are not very highly regarded. Nobody is going to charge a ton of money for one of those mainly because no one is going to buy one for a ton of money.

Interesting how you proved yourself wrong with that statement.
You said that we assumed all Gibsons are good, and now you're assuming all 70's early 80's Gibsons are bad. Somewhat hypocritical I think.
I've heard mixed reviews about the 70's and 80's guitars, but only positive about 'The Paul'. Kind of like how now Gibson LP Studio's get mixed reviews, but the Traditional series gets positive (Except of course, the 'The Paul' is not nearly as expensive as the 'Traditional' series).
Quote by Baby Joel
Interesting how you proved yourself wrong with that statement.
You said that we assumed all Gibsons are good, and now you're assuming all 70's early 80's Gibsons are bad. Somewhat hypocritical I think.
I've heard mixed reviews about the 70's and 80's guitars, but only positive about 'The Paul'. Kind of like how now Gibson LP Studio's get mixed reviews, but the Traditional series gets positive (Except of course, the 'The Paul' is not nearly as expensive as the 'Traditional' series).
I did not say that all '70s and '80s Gibsons are bad, I said most of the obscure and now discontinued models were not very good and thus these are reasons why they were phased out in a very short time frame. As for mixed reviews on modern day Gibsons, I've seen more distaste for the traditional than the studio on just about every site than this one (which is not totally unexpected)
I'd consider chancing it! AT that price if it's in good shape you'll be able to resell it at the same price with no loss to you but your time.
Moving on.....
Quote by Baby Joel
Gibson 'The Paul' and its awesome.

my thought as soon as i saw it. they're kind of cool guitars. almost bought one a while back, but it seems to pretty much be the same as an SG Special i all ready had at the time. thin body, nothing too flashy (no binding, cool inlays), and the pickups weren't too special. $500 - $600 is about right for a The Paul. they're pretty solid little guitars, and comfortable too. like i said, think SG but in a Les Paul body; the cutaways are a little different and the bodies are thin and light.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
The headstock shape is off. Way off.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
headstock looks fine to me. gibson's have angled headstocks, and the neck is flat to the camera, so the headstock looks kind of weird. just the angle.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip