Question's in the title really

Just pondering for a project at school, might build me one. I live in the UK if that's any help.

cheers
it wouldn't work very well because the strings would be thick and close together. usually a 12 string is just for chords and you dont really play chords on a baritone.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
^What?

I might be wrong, but for a baritone, you could use the same gauge strings as you'd use for a regular sized acoustic 12 string, no? Just get a pack of nickel or steel wound acoustic strings.
If not, find out what gauges you actually need and buy single strings - any guitar store stocks them.

EDIT: A friend of mine strings his acoustic with .12s, while I've seen baritones with the same gauge, that's where I got the idea from.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 16, 2009,
Quote by TheQuailman
^What?

I might be wrong, but for a baritone, you could use the same gauge strings as you'd use for a regular sized acoustic 12 string, no? Just get a pack of nickel or steel wound acoustic strings.
If not, find out what gauges you actually need and buy single strings - any guitar store stocks them.

im saying that a baritone is usually kept in a low tuning such as B standard, therefore the strings are kind of thick, if you used 9's or something the tension might be uncomfortable.

27" scale 12 string electric baritone is what im thinking of, is this what you're talking about?

Quote by TheQuailman
EDIT: A friend of mine strings his acoustic with .12s, while I've seen baritones with the same gauge, that's where I got the idea from.

EDIT: acoustics have thicker strings on them, i was talking about a 12 string electric. If it was a 12 string acoustic baritone wouldn't those strings be pretty darn thick, like 13-15?

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Last edited by SPBY at Sep 16, 2009,
yup, sure is SPBY

Veillette guitars have made them, and there are a few videos of acoustic 12 string baritones on youtube

they sound awesome

thanks all
i think the idea of a project like this is that you figure it out for yourself

go on the d'addario website and find the massive chart with pitch and tension, work out the best combo of individual strings and find them in sets

basically you'd want normal baritone strings and an assortment of regular guitar strings for the octaves

then after all that it'd probably sound crap
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Or get a pack of Strings that are large and a pack that is small just make sure that they "match"
I don't read, I look at words and absorb their meanings.
If the pit was a group of people hangin out we would be possibly the most awsome group of people to be known to mankind.........I think it would be on the news
Quote by SPBY
im saying that a baritone is usually kept in a low tuning such as B standard, therefore the strings are kind of thick, if you used 9's or something the tension might be uncomfortable.

27" scale 12 string electric baritone is what im thinking of, is this what you're talking about?

I did understand you, I was just trying to say that what you said didn't make much sense to me.
You know though that the thinner a string is, the higher it's pitch is? If you put .09s on a baritone and tune to B Standard, there'd hardly be any tension at all, you'd instead have fret buzz and no sustain at all. If you'd be able to tune that low in the first place.

Quote by SPBY
EDIT: acoustics have thicker strings on them, i was talking about a 12 string electric. If it was a 12 string acoustic baritone wouldn't those strings be pretty darn thick, like 13-15?

I didn't say he should build an acoustic baritone. I said he should use a string set you'd usually use for a regular sized twelve string acoustic for his electric baritone. He'd be using .12s for a baritone then, which should work I believe.

I think one of us isn't getting what the other is saying here. For the record: The ts asked what strings to use for the baritone twelve string he's building, he did not ask whether it was a good idea or for alternatives or anything.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 16, 2009,
thanks for the advice...

i might keep it simple, it's a first guitar build and i'd like something usuable