So I'm tired of playing uninspired rhythm guitar. I am the lead in my band (singer plays rhythm with low skill/just basic chord change abilities).

So I want to step it up on my rhythm playing and try my hand at playing like brian setzer/john frusciante/jimi hendrix. I've found some nice techniques that really help me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17RQ2mr4770.

I was now wondering if there is anything else I can do to up my chord changes/ play in a way were I don't need even any instruments. I'm self taught and have been playing for maybe 3 or 4 years.

Is there anything like key changes or certain progressions that can help me more? like Under the bridge progression. Are there any influences I should be listening to? I already listen to a lot of chet atkins and merle travis. Which is a little above my ability right now (thumb picking bass/ melody with fingers).

Sorry if I don't make sense or this has been asked before.
Last edited by sidebuster at Sep 16, 2009,
make sure you improvise alot, the musicians you mentioned all improvise alot during performances, just add nice little touches to stuff
Id suggest learning something like the intro to Little Wing. Shows great chord embelishments and changes. Also the outro to RHCP Sir Pysco Sexy is a great, flowing repeating chord progression with tastefull rhythm and more embelishments as it goes along.
use chord inversions...the 3rd in the bass is a nice touch...use walking baselines to connect chords...some interval runs between chord changes 3rds / 6ths.. diatonic chord runs..IMA7 iim7 iiim7 for the Ima7 chord ... back-cycle into the target chord...if E7 is the next chord your going to play...preceed it with C#7 F#7 B7...etc expand that thinking into iim7 V7 (D#mi7 G#7 C#7) type thinking...use chromatic chord runs...C#7 D7 Eb7 E7...G7 F#7 F7 E7 etc

play well

wolf
Quote by wolflen
use chord inversions...the 3rd in the bass is a nice touch...use walking baselines to connect chords...some interval runs between chord changes 3rds / 6ths.. diatonic chord runs..IMA7 iim7 iiim7 for the Ima7 chord ... back-cycle into the target chord...if E7 is the next chord your going to play...preceed it with C#7 F#7 B7...etc expand that thinking into iim7 V7 (D#mi7 G#7 C#7) type thinking...use chromatic chord runs...C#7 D7 Eb7 E7...G7 F#7 F7 E7 etc

play well

wolf

I don't know what is more awesome. The fact that you are helping me out. Or the fact that I understood everything you suggested.

Thanks for the help guys.
Just a comment for the video itself. I love justin, he always does such great lessons and lays them out in a very clear way, and you can always see exactly what he's doing with his fingers.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ