It looks amazing in most parts, but parts of it (back of neck, side of guitar, and a few others) look and feel like the finish has worn off. It's only a 2 year old guitar and has never even been gigged with. I don't want to polish it or anything, but is there anyway I can get the sexy shine back in those areas? Maybe my sweat is just acidic?? All I know is my 10 year old Epiphone G400 still looks brand new and it has 100x the use that my Explorer does.
The nitro finish on Gibsons isn't a durable finish and isn't really meant to protect your guitar. It's used because it allows the wood to dry at a controlled rate for optimal sound as the guitar ages.

EDIT:

Sorry, forgot to give you help instead of just facts

You can polish the guitar, buff it if necessary, with carnauba wax.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Sep 16, 2009,
Thats just the natural way the finish in on Gibbys. as long as the front looks sexy i wouldnt see that much of a problem, but like the above said, pics, and wax
Funny that you want that shine back.. I WISH my Epi's finish wore off like it does on the Gibsons, I love the look of the worn-down finish.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
You don't have a faded explorer do you?
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by I am wet
You don't have a faded explorer do you?

I would absolutely love to find one of those.
Yes, a picture would be nice.
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
I agree, Pictures would be good. Why don't you want to polish your guitar? (Just in case you do decide to polish it make sure to clean off the dirt first or else you'll be polishing the dirt!)
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
The question is: Why did you buy it if the finish on your Explorer sucks?

Seriously: It's probably just a crap finish, and it's worn off a bit. 2 years will do that to a bad finish.
uh.. no, it isn't "wearing off" it's wearing in, that is what happens with a nitrocellulose finish, it's a GOOD thing. If you want your guitar to be shiny then polish it.

To the guy above me, it's not a crap finish it's a higher end finish than the plastic-y poly finish that stays put forever.
Quote by al112987
uh.. no, it isn't "wearing off" it's wearing in, that is what happens with a nitrocellulose finish, it's a GOOD thing. If you want your guitar to be shiny then polish it.

To the guy above me, it's not a crap finish it's a higher end finish than the plastic-y poly finish that stays put forever.
My bad. I don't know much about finishes (i don't do much research on that...I just want my guitars to look cool )