Anyone know what neil youngs using to get that awesome fuzztone on 'live rust 1979' ? Particulary songs like 'like a hurricane' and 'hey hey my my'. If any of you use spotify go look it up there cus the youtube versions are all HORRIBLE quality and from other concerts :\.

I've heard people say 'he used no pedals after the first two albums' and stuff but it definatly sounds like a really growling fuzztone.
it sounds like a fuzz, but it really isn't. according to his interview in Guitar World a couple issues back it's just his little Fender (Twin? i don't remember the model, sorry) that's driven like crazy.
he is overdriving a clean amp. Ampeg v-4 and fender twins
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
Tweed deluxe running 6l6's cranked all the way, then sent to one or two other amps that I forget, along with a very microphonic firebird bridge pickup.

durham crazy horse or lovepedal les luis did a decent job of creating that sound, but never really nailed it. Neil's got a lot of amps and runs kind of a non-convential rig
Last edited by pak1351 at Sep 16, 2009,
Quote by pak1351
Tweed deluxe running 6l6's cranked all the way, then sent to one or two other amps that I forget, along with a very microphonic firebird bridge pickup.

durham crazy horse or love pedal les luis did a decent job of creating that sound, but never really nailed it. Neil's got a lot of amps and runs kind of a non-convential rig

This.

his rig really is one of a kind. i rad the Article he did in guitar world, and he doesn't use any boosters of any kind.

i fund the best way to get his tone is to use dying batteries or a voltage reducer with an overdrive pedal.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Well I saw him live and he was using a Tweed Deluxe, which has 6V6s. I tried using a model in Amplitube Fender with my P90 Les Paul and cranked it's pretty close you know...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Well I saw him live and he was using a Tweed Deluxe, which has 6V6s. I tried using a model in Amplitube Fender with my P90 Les Paul and cranked it's pretty close you know...

He runs his deluxe on 6L6's
Quote by pak1351
He runs his deluxe on 6L6's

How does he do that? Those amps aren't built to handle that... I think he said his amps were stock... But ok maybe he does.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I'm not quite sure, he had a ton of fans blowing into it last time I saw him, and I don't know what if any strain that causes on the ot/pt. There's some interview with his tech I read a little while ago, gotta try to find it.

here ya go, found the link on the telecaster site, 4th paragraph from the bottom briefly goes over it. I don't know if he swapped some transformers or if the originals were overbuilt and can handle the extra current draw.

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/friends/amps.htm
Last edited by pak1351 at Sep 16, 2009,
Quote by pak1351
I'm not quite sure, he had a ton of fans blowing into it last time I saw him, and I don't know what if any strain that causes on the ot/pt. There's some interview with his tech I read a little while ago, gotta try to find it

Alright! Could just be a misquatation, it's quite common. He'd need fans anyway, running an amp full blast like that...
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Yeah, I don't know if it will really make too much of a difference. I really like his tone, and a stock tweed deluxe running full-bore gets close enough for me
Quote by pak1351
Yeah, I don't know if it will really make too much of a difference. I really like his tone, and a stock tweed deluxe running full-bore gets close enough for me

It does in a sense. 6L6s has twice the power of 6V6s and are biased completely different, so he'd probably need a new output transofmer, plus a bias mod. It would also boot his output quite a bit.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Yeah, I know he biased it, but for some reason I think the stock pt could handle it. I was reading up on this a few months ago and forget all the specifics.

Anyway, I stick by my durham crazy horse recommendation if you want a pedal.
Quote by pak1351
Yeah, I know he biased it, but for some reason I think the stock pt could handle it. I was reading up on this a few months ago and forget all the specifics.

Anyway, I stick by my durham crazy horse recommendation if you want a pedal.

I was thinking more of the OT really.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I think I read in guitarist that he puts his reverb before the amp, so it gets distorted also.
...Bleep Bloop...
It could, but a cranked tweed deluxe sounds pretty fuzzy, and that microphonic firebird pickup is a big part of the bite he gets
Loose windings or a loose magnet in the pickup, so that they vibrate with the guitar and make a high-pitched squeal. You could also hear tapping on the body come through your amp or even talking into the pickup. Wax potting is supposed to hold everything tight so that doesn't happen, and most modern production pickups are wax potted. A few smaller builders will wind them without wax potting or with minimal potting if that's what you want, but they don't handle gain too well
Also, his Deluxe is just an unusual model. He always says that he has loads, but none sound like that one amp. It is biased for 6L6s. Also, for the REALLY fuzzy tone, there's a Mutron Octave Divider, and an Echoplex and an MXR analogue delay help to make things a bit crazier.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt