So I need a little help. I'm looking for a new amp, and I am a bit ignorant to some aspects of tubes amps, which is a bit silly considering I wrote a whole article about them. I guess it's never too late to ask. Compare a Fender Blues Jr. and a Vox AC15.

The Blues Junior, weighing in at about $100 USD less, has a 12" speaker, and 3 12AX7s and 2 EL84s.

The AC15, more costly, also has a 12" speaker, and has only two of each tube. So what would be an advantage or disadvantage to this, and why the price difference?
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
I've never tried the Blues Junior, but if you're going to be playing loud, let me tell you the AC15 sounds horrible (Too much treble) especially with lead. I have done the bright cap mod but still lots of treble. But you might be different from what tone I want.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Don't get caught up thinking "why does this amp have ___ tubes when this one has ____ "

In this case, the Blues Jr has an extra preamp tube to drive the spring reverb, nothing more.
My initial guess was that the difference is the Vox AC15 uses SS circuitry for Tremolo and Reverb. But looking at the schematics they both use SS circuitry. It appears that Bjr only uses 2 1/2 of the preamp tubes. Remember 12ax7s have 2 tubes in 1. The Bjr has both a master and volume control and that I believe accounts for the extra 1/2 tube.
Quote by kyle62
Don't get caught up thinking "why does this amp have ___ tubes when this one has ____ "

In this case, the Blues Jr has an extra preamp tube to drive the spring reverb, nothing more.

The reverb on blues juniors is driven by an op-amp, not tube

I don't know why it has an extra preamp tube, but the vox costs more because it's imported, whereas the bj is made in north america. Maybe it just costs more to manufacture as well, I don't know.
The vox costs more because it's more expensive to make. I believe the BJr is also made overseas now, but the vox definitely has more going on under the hood than the BJr does.

Looking at the number of preamp tubes an amp has doesn't really tell you a whole lot. A fender deluxe reverb has 6 preamp tubes and a triple rectifier has 5 - that doesn't mean the twin has more gain or is louder or, unless you can read the schematic, anything at all.
I would look at both, there is no right or wrong answer, they both sound great but are worlds apart in terms of tone.
Do you want sparkling cleans, or chiming cleans? Comparing the sound of a xylophone, to that of a bell would be somewhat similar I guess.

Edit:
Sparkling, xylophone = Fender
Chimey, bell = Vox
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
Blue jr

that is Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too cheap

Buy it

I never even listed the price (which is normal), what are you talking about?

Quote by tubetime86
Sparkling, xylophone = Fender
Chimey, bell = Vox

Yes, I'm aware, and I'm not purchasing either. I didn't ask about tone, I asked about differences in number of tubes.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars