I have a vypyr 15 and its distortion is sufficient for now, but I'm going to have to get something better soon enough. Anyway until I get a pod I'm stuck using the pitch shifter rack effect on my 15 watt amp, which works good actually, but when I use it, it muddies up my distorted (I use the rectifier channel on red with post and pregain up all the way, highs up all the way, mids all the way down, and lows wherever it doesnt matter) tone very badly. It's quieter and has not much gain. And from what I can tell the rec is the highest-gain channel on my amp! Is there a way to fix this? Or should I just keep saving up for my pod x3 + studio speaker combination?
Quote by omegamuff1n
I have a vypyr 15 and its distortion is sufficient for now, but I'm going to have to get something better soon enough. Anyway until I get a pod I'm stuck using the pitch shifter rack effect on my 15 watt amp, which works good actually, but when I use it, it muddies up my distorted (I use the rectifier channel on red with post and pregain up all the way, highs up all the way, mids all the way down, and lows wherever it doesnt matter) tone very badly. It's quieter and has not much gain. And from what I can tell the rec is the highest-gain channel on my amp! Is there a way to fix this? Or should I just keep saving up for my pod x3 + studio speaker combination?

DAng, you got some pretty good eq'ing skills

The pitch shifter is weird on the vypyr. I can get it to sound nice and not be muddy, but I'm not hitting power chords on it. I'm usually just rolling up a scale to get that harmonized type of sound with a melodic death metal feel.

I gotta go try the way you eq yours just to see. But I like my mids so I would never have them all the way down and having your highs on ten is pretty harsh.

Either way a Pod X3 is still a good thing to get. I've got a pod xt for my recording purposes and to tweak on the millions of FX, amps, cabs, mics, etc etc.

So keep working with your vypyr on the eq and keep saving up for the pod x3. Doesn't hurt to have both. Or wait until you almost have enough and sell your vypyr on CL and use that money to complete the pod x3 purchase.
I'm all for finding your own tone and whatnot, but that EQ needs some serious work. Maxed highs and no mids is just setting up for disaster.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
Ya, that is the worst EQ setting I have ever heard. Are you 11? Maxed gain, no mids, and maxed highs...

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Ya, that is the worst EQ setting I have ever heard. Are you 11? Maxed gain, no mids, and maxed highs...

11? Wtf? Uh no lol I'm 15 and I'm actually no stranger to eq'ing, (my dad's a sound guy actualy) it's just that, coming out of the vypyr's not so peachy speaker, maxed highs and no mids sounds the best on this amp model. It's the only way I can get the most distorted sound. If I put the highs down, it sounds like it's underwater, if you know what I'm talking about, and while some people might like that, I'm going for a lamb of god type sound, one that makes palm mutes chug and the tone as distorted as I can get it (which still isn't the best.. :p) And yeah I've had my money on the pod for a while now...I'm kind of taking a risk there though because I told my friend about it, he's been playing blues guitar for maybe 10 years, and he told me that pods are great for their effects and stuff but they don't give you as good a sound as a real amp, tubes etc. Though I'm sure it won't sound much different.
Quote by omegamuff1n
11? Wtf? Uh no lol I'm 15 and I'm actually no stranger to eq'ing, (my dad's a sound guy actualy) it's just that, coming out of the vypyr's not so peachy speaker, maxed highs and no mids sounds the best on this amp model. It's the only way I can get the most distorted sound. If I put the highs down, it sounds like it's underwater, if you know what I'm talking about, and while some people might like that, I'm going for a lamb of god type sound, one that makes palm mutes chug and the tone as distorted as I can get it (which still isn't the best.. :p) And yeah I've had my money on the pod for a while now...I'm kind of taking a risk there though because I told my friend about it, he's been playing blues guitar for maybe 10 years, and he told me that pods are great for their effects and stuff but they don't give you as good a sound as a real amp, tubes etc. Though I'm sure it won't sound much different.

Getting a good tone is about playing with the absolute minimum distortion possible, not cranking it all the way up.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
Quote by omegamuff1n
Lamb of God boost there mids, have there highs around seven, and bass around 5-7. Your tone right now most likely sounds underwater and muddy due to lack of mids, too much gain and way to much bass. The mids give you that chugging sound. The speaker is a POS, but it's not at fault here. It's your settings. Turn the gain down, turn the bass down, boost the mids, and lower the highs a little.

And if you're ruuning actives into the Vypyr, it may cause the amp to clip.

I tried the Vypyr, and it's great if you dial the right settings in. Trust me, my cousin uses a Vypyr stock. He uses the Mesa model and it sounds great through my Jackson. The settings were nothing like yours.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Sep 16, 2009,
I have a Vypyr. You can get a good sound without that dodgy EQ setting. Even with the pitch shifter.