Hey, I'm 14, I started playing electric guitar last summer. A cheap guitar (about 150$, stratocaster shape) and a nice amp (Ibanez, 60$, nothing big/cool but still nice to play in my bedroom).

Now, I guess i got way better in the last months, so i want to upgrade.

I thought of getting an Ibanez, could you reccomend me a model? Not too pricey, i'd want to get it for christmas, so not more than 300-400 €/$.

Of course I'd play everything on it, but mainly metal and hard rock.
I'm from Switzerland, english isn't my first language, i'm sorry for my spelling mistakes.
Lil' wayne sucks so bad that he's got to be in my avatar.
What kinds of music do you play (be more specific) and what is your real budget in your currency? Also do you have any preferences to materials, such as body wood, bridge type, etc...?
i would recommend getting an amp before a guitar. it has a bigger effect on your sound
I think an RG321 is a good choice for just about anything. It has a five-way switch which gives you a variety of decent tones. The pickups are good, but you'll probably want to change them later. I don't recommend getting anything with a floating bridge if you plan on changing tunings often.
Quote by Ghold125
What kinds of music do you play (be more specific) and what is your real budget in your currency? Also do you have any preferences to materials, such as body wood, bridge type, etc...?

Mainly Thrash Metal stuff, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and progressive metal (Meshuggah, etc.)

My budget in euros (my currency) would be about 300-350 €.
I don't have preferences about bridges, body, etc. It's my second guitar and it won't be the best guitar i'll ever own. I just want to get to the next level. My first guitar is now a piece of crap since the G string makes a fuzzy/metallic sound, all the strings are way consumed and it wasn't that good even when i bought it.

I would really like to get an Ibanez, so any particular model advice would be good.
I'm from Switzerland, english isn't my first language, i'm sorry for my spelling mistakes.
Lil' wayne sucks so bad that he's got to be in my avatar.
I like Jackson myself but that might just be me. They come with Duncan Designed pickups which are based off of what Dave Mustaine uses, or at least what I think he uses.

Good luck!!!!

P.S try the guitar in the amp you will be using because it sounds totally different if you plug it into a marshall or something like that
Quote by MetallikSH
Mainly Thrash Metal stuff, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and progressive metal (Meshuggah, etc.)

My budget in euros (my currency) would be about 300-350 €.
I don't have preferences about bridges, body, etc. It's my second guitar and it won't be the best guitar i'll ever own. I just want to get to the next level. My first guitar is now a piece of crap since the G string makes a fuzzy/metallic sound, all the strings are way consumed and it wasn't that good even when i bought it.

I would really like to get an Ibanez, so any particular model advice would be good.

Change your strings on the other guitar and get a professional setup to get rid of the buzz. Don't be set on a brand and get some more money to make a real step to the next level and get a new amp too.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by potatohead_33
Ibanez RG321

+1 for the RG321

I personally went from the cheap squier to the RG 321MH and the Ibanez served me well for over 4 years. It's solid and sounds good and looks nice.
Fender USA Stratocaster HSS
Schecter C-1 FR Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 321mh
Fender Squier Strat
Bugera V22
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100
Line 412 cab V 30's
Quote by potatohead_33
Ibanez RG321

+1 for the RG321

I personally went from the cheap squier to the RG 321MH and the Ibanez served me well for over 4 years. It's solid and sounds good and looks nice.
Fender USA Stratocaster HSS
Schecter C-1 FR Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 321mh
Fender Squier Strat
Bugera V22
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100
Line 412 cab V 30's
I'd recommend getting a better amp first, but if you insist on getting a guitar first, and an Ibanez, check out the hard-tail RG's (RG320/321 I think), or if you have a little more to spend try to get a cheap S model with a ZR bridge.
What about an Ibanez SA-260 ?

Very versatile guitar, works well for metal/hard rock (that's what I've been using it for the last 13 months) and should be in your price range. Only minus is 22 frets...
I'd say since you've been playing for awhile now your past the stage of wondering whether or not you'll keep playing guitar. Not to bash your first one, but a $150.00 it was more than likely a beginner or entry level instrument. These can be frustrating at itmes with tuning stability and playability being less than satisfactory to point of lessening your playing enjoyment or holding you back. A better guitar is definitely a good step for you now. The question is how much better? If you go up one step to the 200-300 range it's likely not going to last you very long so I would say try to move beyond the 300 mark towards 500 if you can & stay away from complicated HW like a FR which when subtracted from the price of a 300 (or even 500) guitar doesn't leave the Manufacturer much to work with.
I would also not stress buying an expensive amp just to try and get killer bedroom tones. You can use a very reasonable priced amp for practice and invest or rent when you start gigging later on.
Just remember you're playing the guitar not the amp. The guitar is the instrument here and the primary interface between you and your music.
As for what to get, I'd say ask yourself some simple questions about what you like in a guitar. eg scale length (often ignored by people), fingerboard type, PU configuration, bridge style (hardtail generally better on cheaper guitars) and finally style and looks.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Sep 16, 2009,