Does anyone know about this technique or have they used it? I recently bought a pair of Wesc headphones, having heard that they were great, but they sounded horrible (extremely muddy and undefined), and I returned them... Could this have helped?

Here's a link about breaking a pair of headphones in properly: http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=73383
Muddiness and lack of definition aren't something that breaking in will solve. Those are inherent flaws.

I don't think headphones have a break-in period, since the speaker cones are so small and thin.
This is highly relevant to my interests.

This really doesn't make a difference because even if you didn't know about this the headphones still get "burned in"

And no I don't think it would make that much of a difference for you.

I just read this

Many recommend approximately 100 hours for most headphones. Some recommend as many as 200 hours or more.

Haha yeah right.
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
Last edited by Syndromity at Sep 16, 2009,
Decent headphones sound better after a fair time, some take longer than others.

Definition can come out but its usually harshness and high end that rolls off after break in. My Audio Technica cans sound a lot better now than when I got them. Its all about the source as well.
I will argue this does work to some extent.

I strongly recommend you try out the 200Hz / -> and if you listen really closely, you will actually hear the tiny coil inside going "vrrrr" like an electric toothbrush or something similar.

Leave it on that for an hour or so and come back and you will hear it go "HHMMMM" like it should do.

Did actually make a hell of a difference to my senhiessers from new.
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass