I've been trying to find some were people improvise the solo, but I just can't. All the most viewed ones and best rated play it note perfect... it was played once like that - what's the point?

I undestand learning it, it gives you ideas and helps technique etc. - but when your doing a cover surely it's more in the spirit of Hendrix to do what he does, and improvise it?

What do you think?
people who post videos of themselves playing online are the type who sit in their room and learn the song note for note.
People who are truly capable of making a cover their own are usually playing in front of people, not alone in bedrooms.
Quote by Shrexter
people who post videos of themselves playing online are the type who sit in their room and learn the song note for note.

Whats wrong with that?
I see what both of you mean, but I'm surprised there aren't a few - a lot of people that make guitar covers are also gigging musicians.
Sometimes the idea of making a few covers appeals... but the main appeal is in getting my band started up and having some fun together, in a group.
Quote by Thepredster
Whats wrong with that?

Nothing - but to post a cover that's exactly the same as the original contradicts the idea of the music - expressing yourself.

EDIT: And to be honest - if you've ever felt the buzz after playing a gig to a crowd of people... I don't see how recieving a few comments and a 5 star rating on youtube can compare.
Last edited by Notmewtwoguitar at Sep 16, 2009,
Quote by Notmewtwoguitar
Nothing - but to post a cover that's exactly the same as the original contradicts the idea of the music - expressing yourself.

EDIT: And to be honest - if you've ever felt the buzz after playing a gig to a crowd of people... I don't see how recieving a few comments and a 5 star rating on youtube can compare.

I guess if that was the theme of the song but just a small contradictions. I play song i think are infinitely better then anything I can come up.
Quote by Notmewtwoguitar
I've been trying to find some were people improvise the solo, but I just can't. All the most viewed ones and best rated play it note perfect... it was played once like that - what's the point?

I undestand learning it, it gives you ideas and helps technique etc. - but when your doing a cover surely it's more in the spirit of Hendrix to do what he does, and improvise it?

What do you think?

You have a problem with people trying to emulate something as close as they can?

Wow

The point is.... that's what they wanted to do.

if you want to improvise it, you should go ahead and do that. Then you can change the ratio of improvised to exact copy versions on YouTube by posting your own video.

Quote by Notmewtwoguitar

No it doesn't. You just haven't considered the fact that there is more to making music than just expressing yourself. Playing something purely for the joy it brings you is a perfectly valid musical activity.

Quote by Notmewtwoguitar

I have, and it's a good thing, but that doesn't mean I should automatically trivialize the idea of performing for people via the internet.

I think it's always cool when someone appreciates what you do, regardless of the method of transmission.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 16, 2009,
I'll just say this much.... I'm working on it. Give it some time.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
This may be the most idiotic thread I have ever laid witness to. If someone wants to record themselves playing Purple Haze note-for-note and post it on YouTube, then so be it. That is what they wanted to do. There is no rule saying that every time Purple Haze is played that it should be improvised. Actually, I would imagine it to be harder to copy what Hendrix did rather than just come up with something on your own.

Music is not only about expressing yourself. Yes, that is a good--and probably one of the best--quality of music, but not the only one. One should play music simply for the love of music, be it self-expression or emulation of another artist.

If you want to see a video of Purple Haze that is not played note-for-note, get a camera and record it yourself.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by z4twenny
if i wanna fart into a mic, run it thru delay and an auto tuner set to the key of E and set it to a drum beat i can and its music.
once i recorded a Purple Haze cover and i improvised the solo
but it sounded like crap because i was playing without any backing track so i deleted it
Hola.
i want to play the freebird solo note for note more than anything, i ussually dont play note for note but, damn, you cant top the freebird, its far too epic. only problem is i dont play electric often enough to learn it ><
but people can play whatever or however they please, theres no rules in music.