both same price but which one should i get have a metal guitar already dean ml fbd but want another one specifically for blues classic and hard rock so give me help please
What is an EC Strat? You mean an ESP LTD MH-300 or whatever the entry level is?

There are other guitars besides those, MIM Fender HSS Strat comes to mind.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
What is an EC Strat? You mean an ESP LTD MH-300 or whatever the entry level is?

There are other guitars besides those, MIM Fender HSS Strat comes to mind.

I can't believe you just asked what an EC Strat is. EC stands for Eric Clapton. It's his signature guitar model.

TS: It's honestly up to you. EC's strat is a bit more modern and has a mid boost switch. It's purely up to you.

...Or you can get a used EJ strat ;] (Yeah, I suggested it again) If you want a strat that plays like a Gibson.
i would go for an epi custom rather than gibson studio bu les paul all the way forhard rock
i have an epi trans amber already and i just cant get a nice fat blues sound out of it at all
Quote by Tedis1111
i would go for an epi custom rather than gibson studio bu les paul all the way forhard rock

No. Epi and Gibby (Studio, Standard) LP's aren't made for hard rock. Raw Power LP's and the Prophecy LP's are made for more hard rock.

The LP is generally a blues machine, except when you put EMG's 81/60 or 81/89TW in them. But the stock pickups can play hard rock, by all means.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
No. Epi and Gibby (Studio, Standard) LP's aren't made for hard rock. Raw Power LP's and the Prophecy LP's are made for more hard rock.

The LP is generally a blues machine, except when you put EMG's 81/60 or 81/89TW in them. But the stock pickups can play hard rock, by all means.

Why must it be EMGs? EMGs aren't the only pickups that can get a heavy sound. It vastly depends on the amp he's playing through. For instance, if he's playing on some form of a marshall (Superbass/Super lead, Plexi, JTM45) then any LP will generally be fine. If the tone bothers him, he can spend $200 on some Dimarzios or other passive humbuckers.

And you still have it wrong. The LP was Les Paul's design pretty much. What did he play? He mainly played Jazz mixed with blues. Gibson started out as a Jazz company, later evolved into Blues/Classic Rock, then Hard Rock, and so forth.
i will be playing through either the marshall dsl 50 head or the tsl 60 havent made up my mind yet lol
Amps fine then. It's just up to what you want to play. You want to play an EC strat or the LP, which feels and sounds better to you? Once you figure that out, you got your guitar.
I second the used EJ strat. Otherwise I'd take the EC strat but that's mainly because im a huge Clapton fan.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
see i like EC and EJ but love the sound of the gibsons but like you say i really do have to try them both first
Well the EJ strat was desinged to sound like a Gibson but with the comfort of a strat.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by gstacey1
Well the EJ strat was desinged to sound like a Gibson but with the comfort of a strat.

Wrong. Eric Johnson started making all of his strats before his signature one came out with 12" radius fretboards if they didn't already have them. Reason for this, was because when he'd play the normal 7.25" radius, he'd always fret out while playing, however, when he'd play his '59 Les Paul or his SG, he would never fret out and always played perfectly. So he started reradiusing his guitars so his strat would play like a Gibson.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Wrong. Eric Johnson started making all of his strats before his signature one came out with 12" radius fretboards if they didn't already have them. Reason for this, was because when he'd play the normal 7.25" radius, he'd always fret out while playing, however, when he'd play his '59 Les Paul or his SG, he would never fret out and always played perfectly. So he started reradiusing his guitars so his strat would play like a Gibson.

A 12" radius is hardly reason to say it plays like a Gibson. There's other strats with 12" radius like the 60's era strats and reissues. Strats generally use different radius depending on their era I wouldn't really say there's a normal radius.
Quote by Tedis1111

you are stupid

and ec strat all the way
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
I love Eric Clapton and Pete Townshend, who's playing an EC strat nowadays modded with a piezo bridge, sounded brilliant when I went to see The Who last year. Personally I love strats so I'd take the EC, but at the same time the EJ strat is brilliant, be sure to give it a check before deciding for sure on the guitar.

But yeah, if I had to pick between a studio Les Paul and a Clapton strat, Clapton strat.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by FallsDownStairs

Meh, I probaly just got mixed up with what I read a sometime ago no big deal.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

slash, joe perry, kirk hammet matt heafy and james hetfield all play a les paul so i would hardly say it is only for blues

go for an epi cos u can get new pups and and it often of better quality
Last edited by Tedis1111 at Sep 17, 2009,
Quote by Tedis1111
slash, joe perry, kirk hammet matt heafy and james hetfield all play a les paul so i would hardly say it is only for blues

go for an epi cos u can get new pups and and it often of better quality

You really are stupid. The Epi will never be of better quality than a Gibson. They're made to be worse quality so people will buy Gibsons. If Gibson made Epiphone to be better quality than an actual Gibson, then why sell Gibsons in the first place?

Slash, Joe Perry, and Kirk Hammet all use the pentatonic scales which are found in blues. Slash openly stated to be influenced by blues and Hendrix. Also, Kirk Hammet uses ESP, so I don't know where he comes into the Gibson category.

If he has the money for a real Gibson, why offer him an Epiphone? It won't hold it's value over time anyways.

Quote by aaronni

A 12" radius is hardly reason to say it plays like a Gibson. There's other strats with 12" radius like the 60's era strats and reissues. Strats generally use different radius depending on their era I wouldn't really say there's a normal radius.

Eric has openly stated he doesn't typically like to use Rosewood fretboards. Over his time of playing, he's only owned about 3 Rosewood stratocasters from what I've read and watched. Being a tone freak, he finds the Rosewood fretboards mess up his tone. Lately, however, he's been using Rosewood fretboards because he likes that specific one out of the ones he has owned (the sunburst Rosewood found in the Anaheim DVD). If you go to his official site in the forums, his bassist and drummer (From both his early years and his Alien Love Child band) have all said he reradiused his fretboards so he can play his strats as well as he played his Gibson, and after analyzing his Gibson, he found it was the radius of the fretboard that made it easier to play.

Quote by scottishme
see i like EC and EJ but love the sound of the gibsons but like you say i really do have to try them both first

The only thing I find that's different about the EC signature compared to a normal strat is the mid boost and the pickups. The EJ strat is definitely far more different than any strat I've ever played, as it's also the closest reissue to the '57 (Maple version) and '62 (Rosewood version). If you like the mid boost mod on the EC strat but love everything about the EJ strat, you can install the midboost mod into the EJ strat if you so desire it. I still recommend the EJ strat over the EC strat. I played both for a 2 months at my guitar store before purchasing a used EJ strat. I found myself loving the mid boost feature of the EC strat, but the EJ strat made me want to play it more. It just felt better constructed and just overall better sounding to me. Also, the EJ strat has the tone knobs wired for only the neck and bridge. EJ is a huge Clapton fan and not only doing the wiring mod to balance the EQ of the pickups (according to him) it helps him obtain his lead tone and a very similar 'woman tone' that EC made famous during his Les Paul days.

Quote by necrosis1193
I love Eric Clapton and Pete Townshend, who's playing an EC strat nowadays modded with a piezo bridge, sounded brilliant when I went to see The Who last year. Personally I love strats so I'd take the EC, but at the same time the EJ strat is brilliant, be sure to give it a check before deciding for sure on the guitar.

But yeah, if I had to pick between a studio Les Paul and a Clapton strat, Clapton strat.

Now this is news to me. I do listen to The Who, but I had no idea that Pete used an EC strat. Thanks for that new bit of info

All in all, it's really up to you. I still choose the EJ strat over both the EC and the Gibson. Besides, strats are meant to be modded, so you can mod them however you want.
Last edited by FallsDownStairs at Sep 17, 2009,
Well, for the versatility, I'd go for the Eric Clapton Strat here. It has the mid boost, which makes it sound a lot more like a Les Paul than a Les Paul could ever sound like a Strat, if you get me. But then again, you might love the feel of the Les Paul, which you just can't get on a Strat.

Go and play them both, and see what you prefer.

(Personally here as well, I'd rather go with the Eric Clapton Strat, I mean, it's cheaper and if you want a 12" radius on your fingerboard, you can easily get one off Warmoth, and it'll still be cheaper)
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Well...

I played a few Strats before buying one and when the cash left my hands, I had an EJ Strat. After having a couple of different ones, I'm pretty much sold on em to the point where I'm selling of my MIM Strat and a couple of other guitars.

For me the neck is the biggest selling point but I also like the general quality (Damn near custom shop quality!) and the pickups. I keep looking but for me, nothing sounds and plays better than my EJ.

Try out a few Clapton strats if you like em or put the EC boost module into an EJ (Now theres an idea! Theyre usually available on Ebay pretty cheap.) but theyre both great guitars and it's hard to go wrong.

Lastly.... Fenders have gone up in price, so I'd definately look for either one used. They do appear now and then!
Quote by Tedis1111

Meh. Epi Customs are just Epi Standards with a nicer finish, cool headstock inlay/binding, and gold plated hardware. For the price of a Gibson Studio, I'd be looking at used Epiphone Elitist LPs on eBay.

That or a Highway One Strat, though the EC Strat seems like it'd do just fine
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by FallsDownStairs
You really are stupid. The Epi will never be of better quality than a Gibson. They're made to be worse quality so people will buy Gibsons. If Gibson made Epiphone to be better quality than an actual Gibson, then why sell Gibsons in the first place?

Slash, Joe Perry, and Kirk Hammet all use the pentatonic scales which are found in blues. Slash openly stated to be influenced by blues and Hendrix. Also, Kirk Hammet uses ESP, so I don't know where he comes into the Gibson category.

If he has the money for a real Gibson, why offer him an Epiphone? It won't hold it's value over time anyways.

Eric has openly stated he doesn't typically like to use Rosewood fretboards. Over his time of playing, he's only owned about 3 Rosewood stratocasters from what I've read and watched. Being a tone freak, he finds the Rosewood fretboards mess up his tone. Lately, however, he's been using Rosewood fretboards because he likes that specific one out of the ones he has owned (the sunburst Rosewood found in the Anaheim DVD). If you go to his official site in the forums, his bassist and drummer (From both his early years and his Alien Love Child band) have all said he reradiused his fretboards so he can play his strats as well as he played his Gibson, and after analyzing his Gibson, he found it was the radius of the fretboard that made it easier to play.

The only thing I find that's different about the EC signature compared to a normal strat is the mid boost and the pickups. The EJ strat is definitely far more different than any strat I've ever played, as it's also the closest reissue to the '57 (Maple version) and '62 (Rosewood version). If you like the mid boost mod on the EC strat but love everything about the EJ strat, you can install the midboost mod into the EJ strat if you so desire it. I still recommend the EJ strat over the EC strat. I played both for a 2 months at my guitar store before purchasing a used EJ strat. I found myself loving the mid boost feature of the EC strat, but the EJ strat made me want to play it more. It just felt better constructed and just overall better sounding to me. Also, the EJ strat has the tone knobs wired for only the neck and bridge. EJ is a huge Clapton fan and not only doing the wiring mod to balance the EQ of the pickups (according to him) it helps him obtain his lead tone and a very similar 'woman tone' that EC made famous during his Les Paul days.

Now this is news to me. I do listen to The Who, but I had no idea that Pete used an EC strat. Thanks for that new bit of info

All in all, it's really up to you. I still choose the EJ strat over both the EC and the Gibson. Besides, strats are meant to be modded, so you can mod them however you want.

you sir are a fanoy and kirk used a gibson in the studio for for st anger and sometimes on stage mainly for fade and sanitarium, your a total fanboy gibson uses price skimmnig to make u think its guitars are better
gibsons>epi
SOME gibsons< SOME epis
Quote by FallsDownStairs
You really are stupid. The Epi will never be of better quality than a Gibson.

Ever heard of elitist series ?
Quote by r4ster

They don't make them any more do they?
Because many considered them to be of equal or better quality of their Gibson cousins, probably.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
They don't make them any more do they?
Because many considered them to be of equal or better quality of their Gibson cousins, probably.

Sadly, no, there is an Elite series however, but it is restricted for japanese market only. However, they still float around in used market.
Quote by Tedis1111
you sir are a fanoy and kirk used a gibson in the studio for for st anger and sometimes on stage mainly for fade and sanitarium, your a total fanboy gibson uses price skimmnig to make u think its guitars are better
gibsons>epi
SOME gibsons< SOME epis

Okay, So I'm wrong about Kirk. I don't listen to him often anymore as I grew out of metal completely.

I'm a fanboy? I would never buy a Gibson unless the guitar was something I knew I'd regret not buying. I do infact think their prices are just completely crazy and would buy a PRS over the Gibson. You're the one who is so keen on any topic that debates Gibson vs Epiphone to always say that Epiphone is superior to Gibson. Epiphone will never be superior to Gibson. If Gibson made Epiphones superior, why name it Epiphone? Why not just keep the Gibson logo on it since it's superior to a real Gibson?

The price skimming you claim they use is mainly because of the economy. Every guitar company upped their prices once our economy went down the drain. I remember buying my MIM strat last November when they were $400 before the upgrade to $450. Within a month, ALL MIM strat's shot up to $600~$650 brand new. Just like Eric Johnson's signature stratocaster was around $1500 and you could pick them up for $700 used, after the price hike they're nearly $2500 brand new.

Honestly, I've yet to play an Epiphone that outranked the quality of a Gibson. It's still all opinion whether or not an Epiphone is better than a Gibson. To me, I still think Gibson is better than Epiphone because I've played very well made Gibsons (apparently, since everyone says they're QC is down the toilet.) While you think Epiphone is better because you've played Epiphones that felt good to you compared to a Gibson that felt bad to you.

Quote by r4ster

They're not made anymore. I haven't seen many on the used market and they're restricted to Japan and most of Asia. Even then, I've played my friend's Elitest, side by side to a Gibson. I still found the Gibson to feel better, play better, and sound better than the Elitest. However, the Elitest was definitely coming close to it, but it always comes down to what feels best to you.