Hi,

My story in short, I've been playing Acoustic guitar for a year, and really want to take up electric.

I've picked the guitar I'll be buying which is this one:
http://www.thomann.de/ie/ibanez_grg170dxlbkn_lefthand.htm
(It's the only decent guitar I like, which is for lefthanded and in my price range)

So the next problem is,

I've been told all sorts of conflicting advise, and I'm not sure what direction to turn to.

I'm not sure weather to get a solid-state amp, or a tube amp, my main problem with getting a tube amp is

(is there much maintenance in them?)

(and is it really worth it getting one for my first amp?)

(I'll be playing in my bedroom alot of the time, but may join a band in the future, I heard with tube amps, you have to crank the volume up to get the full potential of the amp)

(how much does it cost to replace the tubes, and where can I get them from, and how often do they need to be changed)

The amp, I was going to get as a Tube amp was:
http://www.thomann.de/ie/blackheart_handsome_devil_combo_bh15_112.htm
Black heart Handsome Devil 15w.

the amp I was going to get as a solid state was:

Peavey Vypyr 30 or a
Vox 30.

Would I be better off getting a solid-state?

A few bands I'm into: radiohead, cold-play, Metalica, Nirvana, Greenday and many more.

What should I get?

cheers,

Kevin
Vox VT 30
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Vox VT 30

I'd be better getting that over the blackheart amp?
I'd get a little modelling amp to start with, so you can play around with new effects sounds and experiment, then you can move on to better when you grow out of it =]

the Vox AD series i think is alright, also Line 6 Spiders, even though hated here would be alright for a beginner. Roland cube is another one i hear plenty about.

TM
Quote by KevinBoland
I'd be better getting that over the blackheart amp?

since you are new to electric guitar modeling is the way to go(even tho i never went there).

you learn the different effects/ type of amp models when fiddling through a modeling amp
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Airline-Olie
i say get the blackheart, tubes dont cost much and you dont have to change them often

Could you link me to the tubes that the blackheart needs? and are they hard to install
For playing in a band, a 5w tube amp or a 30w solid state amp are the smallest amps that'll do the job, so the three you picked would work for that. Now for which to choose.

I know the entire world just loves tube amps, but the Blackheart does not have a gain control for the preamp - which means you have to turn it up really really loud for overdriven sounds, and even then it doesn't have that much drive. No way in hell to play Metallica or anything remotely similar with it.
At home practice levels, you won't get drive at all, unless you are planning on investing in additional overdrive or distortion pedals.

That's why I'd rather recommend a modelling amp like the Vypyr or the Vox VT30. They offer a variety of sounds to experiment with and give you the chance to try stuff and see what you like (and believe me your taste is likely to change with time). Admittedly the Blackheart sounds nicer when cranked, but it doesn't offer the possiblities of a modelling amp. I think that when you're a beginner, it's very important to have lots of different tones at your disposal to find out what you like. After you found out what sounds exactly work for you (in a year or two maybe...), you can go and buy a suiting tube amp.

Personally, I'd take the Vox VT30 over the Peavey, I like the mid- and low-gain sounds of it way better than the Peavey's, even though admittedly the Peavey is at least on par with the Vox for metal. If you can play a little already, try both and see what you like. If possible, take a friend who plays guitar already with you and let him show you what the amps can do.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 16, 2009,
Quote by TheQuailman
For playing in a band, a 5w tube amp or a 30w solid state amp are the smallest amps that'll do the job, so the three you picked would work for that. Now for which to choose.

I know the entire world just loves tube amps, but the Blackheart does not have a gain control for the preamp - which means you have to turn it up really really loud for overdriven sounds, and even then it doesn't have that much drive. No way in hell to play Metallica or anything remotely similar with it.
At home practice levels, you won't get drive at all, unless you are planning on investing in additional overdrive or distortion pedals.

That's why I'd rather recommend a modelling amp like the Vypyr or the Vox VT30. They offer a variety of sounds to experiment with and give you the chance to try stuff and see what you like (and believe me your taste is likely to change with time). Admittedly the Blackheart sounds nicer when cranked, but it doesn't offer the possiblities of a modelling amp. I think that when you're a beginner, it's very important to have lots of different tones at your disposal to find out what you like. After you found out what sounds exactly work for you (in a year or two maybe...), you can go and buy a suiting tube amp.

Personally, I'd take the Vox VT30 over the Peavey, I like the mid- and low-gain sounds of it way better than the Peavey's, even though admittedly the Peavey is at least on par with the Vox for metal. If you can play a little already, try both and see what you like. If possible, take a friend who plays guitar already with you and let him show you what the amps can do.

Thank you for your very detailed response, it has given me allot to think about.

I wont be able to test either of the amps as the local shops do not stock them (or barely anything else), I'll just have to go by reviews I suppose, I think there pretty much the same.

I'm geared more towards solid-state amps now,

anyone have anymore comments?

cheers,

kev