Page 1 of 2
So, there's lots of threads about the swine flu going around the pit. In order to cut down on them, I figured I'd make an official swine flu (or Novel H1N1 as its called).

Part I: What is Swine Flu?

Swine flu, or Novel H1N1 is a form of influenza that originally starts with infecting pigs. It has the potential, like all influenza viruses do however, to mutate and infect humans. When this happens, it is especially worrisome because no one has immunity to it, meaning anyone can contract it, regardless of their previous health.

Part II: Who is at risk?

The American Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the British National Health Service insist that those at risk of developing serious complications from it are:

• The very elderly (+65) and the very young
  • Those with prexisting conditions (asthma, lung disease, heart disease)
  • Those with compromised immune systems (immunodeficiency)

Part III: How is it treated?

There is no very effective way to treat a virus. Unlike antibiotics that can kill bacteria, there is no antiviral medicine that kills viruses. Many doctors say that they would be rich if they invented such a wonder drug. Antibiotics are drugs that destroy the bacteria, while antivirals are drugs that prevent the further spread and growth of the virus.

For swine flu, the main drugs that have proven to be effective against it are oseltamivir, known better as Tamiflu, and zanamivir, known better as Relenza. The drugs are being distributed sparingly, at least in the United States, and are often not given to swine flu patient unless they are high risk patients, due to fear and evidence that influenza commonly mutates into drug-resistant strains. Such strains of swine flu have appeared sporadically throughout the world, but the main type of influenza, susceptible to Tamiflu and Relenza are proving to be much more dominant.

Part IV: Why is there such hype, its just the flu!

This is a common misconception. While the seasonal flu still claims over 35,000 lives/year (in America), swine flu is especially fearful because:
  • There is no vaccine for it
  • There is no incredibly reliable treatment for it (partly because it is a virus)
  • It is proving to spread quicker and hit harder than seasonal flu
  • It is the same strain that caused the 1918 Flu Pandemic, which devasted globally

So is some of the swine flu fear just a bunch of hype? Probably, because media likes to use scaretactics. However, merely shoving it off as not a threat to global health is not an option.

Part V: What Are the Symptoms?

The symptoms are very similar to the seasonal flu:
  • Fever (over 100.4 F)
  • Headache
  • Runny/Stuffy Nose
  • Joint Aches/Body Aches
  • Cough

However if you experience any of the following symptoms:
  • Difficulty Breathing
  • Shortness of Breath
  • Sudden Dizziness
  • Confusion
  • Severe or Persistent Vomiting
  • Symptoms that improve and then return with more severe cough and fever

go to a hospital immediately because these are signs that you emergency medical attention.

Part VI: Why Do Healthy People Die From Swine Flu?

The main reason that some healthy people die from swine flu is that they contract another bacterial infection. However, most healthy people who contract swine flu make a full recovery and often do not need antivirals, hospitalizations or anything more than bedrest and plenty of fluids.

I tried to be as helpful as I could in describing H1N1. All this information has been compiled from the CDC website, the NHS website and based on what I've been told from hospital doctors (I went to the ER last night). Questions, extra information that needs adding or stories? Feel free to post them or drop me a PM.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Nobody post that madd0x article, it's his most misinformed work yet.

EDIT: ^ fuck my balls.
Quote by boreamor
Can't we forget about it yet?

Just because the next trend hasn't come along in the news doesn't mean you shouldn't keep your eye on something that could possibly kill quite a few people.
I had it, it was hell. I know some people are like "it's all hype i wont get it" you may not get it, but just be smart, believe me you don't want to have it.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Quote by bendystraw
Just because the next trend hasn't come along in the news doesn't mean you shouldn't keep your eye on something that could possibly kill quite a few people.

I mean if you get it, go get treated. There have been people phoning into schools and colleges claiming to have Swine Flu and actually just having a cold.

Hype + stupid people = disaster.

ie, Swine Flu is a completely inaccurate name. Swine Flu is the flu pigs get. The strain is called H1N1.
I had the swine a few weeks ago and I must say it wasn't as bad as I had imagined, don't get me wrong it was bad but nowhere near as bad as I thought.

Edit: I had a mild case so that would explain why it wasn't as bad as some peoples, ex. the dude 3 posts below me who was in the hospital.
Last edited by A7XFAN1995 at Sep 16, 2009,
My parents thought i had it when i met 90% of the list. Turned out I just got the flu, and suprisingly had food poisoning at the same time.
Quote by Royal Celebi
Not allowed to whip out my dick in the middle of class. Ludicrous.

Quote by ratracekid111
Is that even Possible?!?!?

Quote by ilovepepsi
can i go blind by eating purple
I've got it and had to go to the ER last night. Bad ****.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
I bring a small thing of anti-bacterial soap with me and am conscious of where I put my hands etc. so Ill probably be ok as long as someone in my family doesnt get it.

Only thing Id be worried about is that "Cytokine Storm" ****..but I dont know what that is. Im not a doctor ..coulda sworn this strain used it though. Inform me prease.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
half of my best friends school got it a lil while back and i now my school may have it

messed up ****,

its all fabricated by the government do the research and you'll see.
I was just about to make a thread on this, then I searchbarred. Go me!

So yeah, basically I had swine flu, and I'm fine now. Stupid media "we're all going to die" hype.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Hands up for those who couldn't give a toss about swine flu or any information related to it because they know it's nothing to worry about...

edit: On another note, back in the summer, having hayfever and a cough and sneezing on the London Underground was a joyous experience.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

I think I might have had it.

I felt like I was going to die one night. It was absolutely terrible.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
I bring a small thing of anti-bacterial soap with me and am conscious of where I put my hands etc. so Ill probably be ok as long as someone in my family doesnt get it.

Only thing Id be worried about is that "Cytokine Storm" ****..but I dont know what that is. Im not a doctor ..coulda sworn this strain used it though. Inform me prease.

Uhm, you know flu is a virus, and your antibacterial soap won't do sh*t to it, right?
And that you probably need to keep the lather from it on your hands for at least 2 minutes for it to be effective against bacteria anyway?

Quote by maggot9779
Is it even that bad? Regular flu kills waaaaay more poeple than swine flu.

The mortality rate from H1N1 is roughly comparable with seasonal flu. But H1N1 is thought to spread faster.
Last edited by MightyAl at Sep 18, 2009,
Just to clear things up all that conspiracy theory **** about swine flu is completely false. Look it up on youtube. They think that trains used to transport cars are for transporting people to these so called "Death Camps" that FEMA have supposably built but are just abandoned military bases that the nut jobs in tin foil hats want to scare you with twisted information. You'll also see things about these plastic casket liners that were found in some remote town. It's just all the casket liners used in coffins. Which are ever so conveniently place beside a COFFIN FACTORY. Well they make casket liners or something but same difference. Alex Jones (the biggest conpiracy theorist and hypocrite in the world) said that FEMA bought these to fit 2million people once they all died... pretty sad huh. They also thought that concrete coffins made for baby boomers (which are dieing at massive rates at the moment) were also for burying people in. These people are so insane they don't realize that the government would just throw us in an incinerator. Now if they build a 100 foot high incinerator you americans have a reason to be scared. Remember you'll see people telling the same story you just saw on another video and then people will say something like that is happening in your area. But it's all bull****. Only thing that worries me about swine flu is the vaccines. If they are anything like the ones in 1976, i don't wanna take it. Problem is i'm first in line since i have diabetes and my mom will make me take it. Just don't end up like this guy people.

Quote by TrabenBassist22
I had it, it was hell. I know some people are like "it's all hype i wont get it" you may not get it, but just be smart, believe me you don't want to have it.

I had it...it was nothing. I still worked full time through it (probably passsed it around but i needed the cash )
Quote by genghisgandhi
i actually just got the vaccine today

i am more likely to pickup a worse strain of the virus

fixed
Yeah apparently some girl at my college just died from it...
A little scary.
Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to.
I got the shot already, so I don't give a **** if there is a pandemic.
DIEEE DIEEE.
Hey, paranoid hypochondriac question so bear with me ..but..Is the Swine Flu shot safe?

I mean, wasnt there that flu that came around a few decades ago that everyone thought was gonna be bad..but wasnt, and the vaccine ended up killing more than the actual flu did?

Dont flame me I know very well that im an irrational paranoid worrier. Someone hit me up with some facts please!

Stepco's Master
If I have asthma or some ****, could the small dose in the vaccine end up back firing? Or if my body plans on having a fever that night?

Does the flu incubate a few days before showing up? I dont know..some viruses do that so they can spread faster without being noticed. Maybe I already have it..*puts tinfoil hat on*

Ok ok ill get the shot. But if I die, Im blaming you all. All of you. You and you and you. And you.

Stepco's Master
Every idiot that comes in our pharmacy thinks they have swine flu and is taking all our Tamiflu.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Hey, paranoid hypochondriac question so bear with me ..but..Is the Swine Flu shot safe?

I mean, wasnt there that flu that came around a few decades ago that everyone thought was gonna be bad..but wasnt, and the vaccine ended up killing more than the actual flu did?

Dont flame me I know very well that im an irrational paranoid worrier. Someone hit me up with some facts please!

no your right look it up.

1976 500 hundread people were said to have died from the vaccination and gees what the flu ws called, hmm, swine flu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASibLqwVbsk

what a surprise it was over hypped then, 30 million vaccined, 500 dead from the vaccine, not the flu. pretty fisshy.

first of all does anyone know whats in it.

pregnant women especially shouldnt take this **** .

in germany there acutally making it so they make a version for preganant women cause the vaccine has so much ****ing mercury and aluminum in it.
another fun fact.

60% of doctors in a german state will not participate in mandotory swine flu vaccination, or recomend others to take it.

i wonder why.
I'm pretty sure they originally thought the virus was going to be way worse since it spreads easily and no one has natural immunities to it. Hence the hype. Just because 50% of the people that have aren't dying doesn't mean you should drop all caution.

To the questions about the vaccine, can't you people look those things up online? Or ask a doctor about it?
The CDC has followed in the footsteps of British health authorities by warning neurologists to look out for cases of the nerve disease Guillain-Barre syndrome caused by the swine flu vaccine.

from the CDC website.

i wonder why.

oh yah, whats that theres squalene in the vaccine, you dont say.

and what else, 10000 gulf war vets had these same symptoms of Gullian Bare after being vaccinated with the same squalen substence in there shoots, many of wich now have serius health issues or are now dead.

thats a coincidence, bettor go get my vaccine at walmart like the news says.
Quote by offspring87
The CDC has followed in the footsteps of British health authorities by warning neurologists to look out for cases of the nerve disease Guillain-Barre syndrome caused by the swine flu vaccine.

from the CDC website.

i wonder why.

oh yah, whats that theres squalene in the vaccine, you dont say.

and what else, 10000 gulf war vets had these same symptoms of Gullian Bare after being vaccinated with the same squalen substence in there shoots, many of wich now have serius health issues or are now dead.

thats a coincidence, bettor go get my vaccine at walmart like the news says.

youngster11, is that you

Stepco's Master
its the first time we are using squalen on a substance, wich is a banned substance to be used in vaccines in both the UK or US, but there doing it anyway.

im just saying dont take it.

also i recall some mainstream websites claim, and alot of people here think theres no mercury in the vaccine.

yet if you go to the CDC website it tells you right there there is mercury in the vaccine.

also instead of telling people the chemicals in this thing, they just simply say adjuvents, the say there are chemicals in it but they dont provide you with a list of them.

MF-59 is an oil-based adjuvant primarily composed of squalene, Tween 80 and Span85. and who nows what else.

maybe these chemicals arent bad for you in one dose, but after a couple vaccination the acumilated chemicals could probly cause some effect on the human body.

also there saying this thing is gana mutate, so whats the point of vaccinating everyone, if it mutates the vaccine isnt ganna do ****.
Last edited by offspring87 at Oct 9, 2009,
Page 1 of 2