Hey guys,

This seems to be a much debated matter, and it's a debate I'd sooner avoid where possible, but anyways.

How much should I be investing in patch cables now that I've decided that I need them to save the annoyance of hooking stuff up with longer cables? Is spending a decent amount of money on patch cables a waste as they're just gimmick-y, or not? Also been looking at those self-assembled solderless patch cable kits, do they suffer in any way from being so straightforward (cut desired length of cable, then screw into jack)?

Bascially, give me ANY advice you might have on patch cables, if you would be so kind

Cheers guys.

EDIT: Also, feel more than free to just reply with suggestions of patch cables that I should take a look at, UK stores preferred, but any ideas welcomed
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
Last edited by cm261 at Sep 16, 2009,
As long as you buy good quality cables your fine. There's very little difference between a good quality cable ($20 range) and an uber super duper cable (some in the $60 range others can tote ridiculous price tags of hundreds of dollars). Just make sure you're buying fairly good quality cables (AKA not in-store brand), especially when you're going over long distances. That's when you do start to notice some drop off in sound quality in lower quality cables.
Monster and Planet Waves seem to be popular. I'm looking at a monster myself.
Mogami=best for bass.

I would recommend buying a high quality cord because usually they come with lifetime warranties. That I know for mogami if anything happens to the cord, no matter what, if you just take it into the retailer, they give you a new one for free. So you end up saving money in the long run
^The same applies to Monster and Planet Waves. Don't go cheap on your patch cables but JazzRock is right; shoot for the midrange.

A cheap cable will be replaced several times over and easily exceed the cost you would have paid for a good midrange patch cable.
Cool, lifetime warranty seems to be the way to go then

Quote by tubatom868686
Mogami=best for bass.

Why might that be?
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
Quote by cm261
Cool, lifetime warranty seems to be the way to go then

Why might that be?

Trial and error. Im a tone nazi sort of...I find I get the most low end out of mogami.
I've heard about the cable designed specifically for bass.And it turned out to be a load of bull.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
I buy cheapo patches (actually, the patches I bought aren't on the warranty due to their construction, if I would have stepped up a little bit in price they would have been covered under unlimited lifetime warranty (but honestly, I have one of that version and it is just too thick for a patch cable)

They do create a little bit of interference, but I don't really notice it at all.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by cm261
Hey guys,
How much should I be investing in patch cables...
Bascially, give me ANY advice you might have on patch cables, if you would be so kind
)

Invest in a good soldering iron and learn to roll your own.
lifetime warranty covers everything? even the annoying times when the cable's coating cracks and you have to keep it in a certain position to play?
o and do the warrantys work for musicians friend?
Or you could get one of these:

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Last edited by m4l666 at Sep 17, 2009,
Planet waves is pretty good. Also the yorkville studio quality cables are nice and like only 20 bucks, i have one and it such a great cable for 20 bucks man.
GEAR

Guitars
Danelectro Double Cutaway 1959 reissue, Jay Turser Vintage Series Strat

Pedals
Danelectro Reel Echo, Crybaby Wah, Boss DS-1

Amplifiers
Orange Crush 30w
Fender Pro Junior
LiveWire is the way to go. They're not overpriced like Planet Waves and Monster cables and still come with a lifetime warranty.