hi,

Im planning to buy a new guitar and need some suggestions on which guitar to buy.

1. I'm a left handed guitarist.

2. I like to play all kinds of music - from metal(Children of Bodom etc.) to classic rock ( AC/DC) to sometimes even stuff like Oasis.

3. I was previously using an Ibanez GRG 170 DX. That guitar was good enough but one sever problem was that whenever I used the tremolo the guitar would go completely out of tune. Sometimes the guitar would go out of tune by the end of the song !!!!

4. My budget is around $ 400. I can stretch a bit if the guitar is really worth it.

I was looking to buy a Ibanez RG370DXL , so any suggestions about that would be helpful.

5. I definetely would like a tremolo on the guitar so Im not really looking at hardtail guitars.

thanks,
trojansc
NY_FootBall49 : at 400 $ will i get a floyd rose locking tremolo?? that too left handed??
britishsligean : My current location is downtown LA.

My amp is Marshall MG15CDR . Im definetely willing to go used.
NY_FootBall49 : do you suggest any other brands also or should i just look at Ibanez for the kind of music i play ?
Idk how many other brands are versatile enough and affordable, so yeah stick with Ibby.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
definitely get a new amp first. Something like a Roland Cube or Peavey Vypyr.

I would reccomend you to block the trem if it only causes trouble, because a non locking trem isnt actually very useful. Save up for a good guitar with a good trem, because most $400 guitars have sh*t trems; imagine the prices for left handed guitars and trems wich amke anything cost more. You'll have to save a lot more.

On guitars, you need something versatile, but this doesnt mean you should only look on X or Y brand. You should search for exact models. And, while the versatility of the guitar is important, it is most important to have a versatile amp if you want to play various styles. Your fingers are the most important part of your tone, then amp and the effects, then the guitar.
If Alexi Laiho and you switch amps guitar and effects, and then jam. who's gonna sound more like Alexi? If you return him his amp and effects, even with your guitar, his tone is already there, his amp gives him his distortion and other things. The guitar is important for yourself to play good, but not necessarily to sound good. You can sound bR00t4l with a squier into a Triple rec, but not with a King V into a Squier SP10.

tl-dr; change the amp if you want a better tone. The guitar will help you to play better but it wont solve your versatility problems because it's not as important as the amp in matters of tone. Block the trem if your tuning is suffering because of it.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Sep 16, 2009,
hmmmm.... i definetely agree i could save more to buy a guitar later... but im absolutely sick with my current one... hence im most probably going to buy a guitar now with the budget being $ 400. the surprising thing is that i cant find anything good for this price. There are many options for right handed guitars but for lefty guitars... its bad man....
ldnovelo : good point. im still a beginner when it comes to buying stuff so what kind of amps would you suggest buying thats in a reasonable price range ??
Quote by trojansc
hmmmm.... i definetely agree i could save more to buy a guitar later... but im absolutely sick with my current one... hence im most probably going to buy a guitar now with the budget being $ 400. the surprising thing is that i cant find anything good for this price. There are many options for right handed guitars but for lefty guitars... its bad man....

agreed. that's why i insist on saving. First of all think why do you want a new guitar for? obviously to play better, so dont loose time and just practice on this one until something ood comes up. you're not giving up just because yu have a bad guitar. Right now, it's hard to get a good guitar for a good price, and it's even more for left handed guitarsit. Also, most guitars you see at $400 with trems, have sh*t sucky trems. Either they are badly set up, screw intonation or dont tune well(almsot any LFR) or they wear out fast (Ibanez egde 3). Also, a left handed trem costs more, so it will be even harder for you to get something good.

AMPS:
FOr versatility, I reccomend a modeling amp, this is, and amp that imitates the sound of other amps. The VOX velvetronix are good, but they are mostly aimed towards classic rock models, not much high gain there. On the other hand, the Roland Cube and Peavey Vypyr are great metal modeling amps. The VOX valvetronix XL tried going metal but people say they aren't very good at it. I would reccomend a Vypyr or Cube. I would go as far as 30w because it has plenty of volume for some small band practice and it can go down enought for bedroom playing at night. Plus, they are not "proffesional amps", and going above 50w for a SS amp is unnecesary (unless you want to use solid state professionally).

If you are going tube, you can get better sound, but you need some extra stuff. Most small tube amps cant get enought gain for metal, so you would need an overdrive. But the clean and drive tones are great, and along with the OD, you ca get enough. But, they are also very loud and you need to increase the volume to get better distortion. There are some amps with an attenuator, that lets you raise the gain without raising volume. I reccomend a Blackheart BH5 orBH15 (you'll need a pdal), a Blackstar HT5 (it has more distortion that balckhearts, but you might still want more gain), Vox AC4 (you will need a pedal, but it has an attenuator), B52 AT112 (it has great distortion by itself and decent cleans, but it's 60w of tube power, probably too much for playing at home)
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Sep 16, 2009,
I have a GRG and the FAT trems arent as good as the Edge trems, so get a low budget RG
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
your grandma caught you jackin off to friends??!!?!
im not too shocked

Quote by ThinDizzy
+1 Internets to you, sir.

My first intarwebz
Ibanez GRG170>2008 MIM strat (Its my dad's though)>Random 90's Randall tube (My dad's)>GatorGrip2mm