First off, which one is best/cheapest? Second, how much risk is there of ruining the kit if I'm new to soldering and make a mistake?

Besides that... how awesome might it sound with a Peavey Classic 30?
Quote by Led Dirigible
Maxon OD808?

its much more expensive than the TS808
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Led Dirigible
Maxon OD808?

Ah, I meant to explain that I'm looking for a kit. $150 is still a bit much.

Thanks

There doesn't happen to be anyone on this site that might sell pre-built kit pedals would there?
Just be careful not to fry any of the components. You should probaly practice a bit first with wire and metal.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
http://www.buildyourownclone.com/ good stuff here, and they have a pretty good 808 clone from what I here. I'm pretty sure that if its your first time ordering something from them, then they send you sort of a practice kit, just a small treble booster or something.
Founder of the C.F. Martin & Co. Guitar Owners club.
YOU........should join if you have a Martin.....!!!!
JOIN

My Band: Abaton

Abaton

Check out some of the acoustic stuff on my profile if you want
Quote by I Poke Badgers
Ah, I meant to explain that I'm looking for a kit. $150 is still a bit much.

Thanks

There doesn't happen to be anyone on this site that might sell pre-built kit pedals would there?

Oh, sorry. Like voodoochile said, BYOC should get you set.
type of transistor?
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by I Poke Badgers
First off, which one is best/cheapest? Second, how much risk is there of ruining the kit if I'm new to soldering and make a mistake?

Besides that... how awesome might it sound with a Peavey Classic 30?
It's hard to screw up, it really is, if you make a mistake you just... re-solder it the correct way.
Quote by al112987
It's hard to screw up, it really is, if you make a mistake you just... re-solder it the correct way.

Well, it's easy to fry components with a soldering iron if your not careful.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/ good stuff here, and they have a pretty good 808 clone from what I here. I'm pretty sure that if its your first time ordering something from them, then they send you sort of a practice kit, just a small treble booster or something.

Actually, they have a confidence boost kit that they sell 15$, and I think that if you can't finish it they refund it.
Last edited by Sguit at Sep 16, 2009,
Does the BYOC kit come with everything needed besides the soldering iron? Like, is there any wire needed for the circuitry? Anything such as that?

Thanks
personally I dont really like BYOC (probably because of the prices). http://generalguitargadgets.com/ has a bit cheaper prices I believe and they are great. With video demos and all. Its sometimes hard to figure out what the pedal does from just the name they give though
FS LTD EC-50 with GFS PowerRails Bridge pickup
Quote by aiur55
personally I dont really like BYOC (probably because of the prices). http://generalguitargadgets.com/ has a bit cheaper prices I believe and they are great. With video demos and all. Its sometimes hard to figure out what the pedal does from just the name they give though

Ooh, nice, $30 cheaper. I'm guessing the ITS8 is the TS808 clone? I may go with this brand instead just for the price lul.

Thanks
my humble advice is to start with a kit from byoc... -yes the byoc kit includes wire, but it's not cheap...
but they will walk you thru some of the stumbling blocks you might encounter and will respond to questions.

Once you built one of these you'll be able to tackle a kit from generalguitargadgets
- much cheaper - but they do less hand holding.

then try buying your own parts but using the pcb from generalguitargadgets or tonepad.

then if you get brave get some ferric chloride and etch you own pcb.

afa frying components... the only things you really have to worry about are the ic chip, and any transistors. I always use standoffs for this reason... you solder the standoffs in and once you are 'all done' you put in any chips and/or transistors.

confidence boost isn't a bad place to start... they used to give you one for free with any kit purchase... not sure if they still do - it's been a while.
Quote by mistermikev
my humble advice is to start with a kit from byoc... -yes the byoc kit includes wire, but it's not cheap...
but they will walk you thru some of the stumbling blocks you might encounter and will respond to questions.

Once you built one of these you'll be able to tackle a kit from generalguitargadgets
- much cheaper - but they do less hand holding.

then try buying your own parts but using the pcb from generalguitargadgets or tonepad.

then if you get brave get some ferric chloride and etch you own pcb.

afa frying components... the only things you really have to worry about are the ic chip, and any transistors. I always use standoffs for this reason... you solder the standoffs in and once you are 'all done' you put in any chips and/or transistors.

confidence boost isn't a bad place to start... they used to give you one for free with any kit purchase... not sure if they still do - it's been a while.

Well... your advice sounds like it is wisdom from experience, but it doesn't take into account that I'm a bit of a cheap bastard sometimes. $95, seeing as how I'm a bit too lazy/enjoying not working to go get a part-time job, is a bit much to spend with the $60 pedal available.

I've built my own computer before and while I know that's very different, there was very little out there to go by for it. Maybe I can figure out the GGG pedal too.

Hey, how hard can it be? >_<

Thanks for all the responses guys. Also, I can probably get my brother to help at least with the actual soldering since he has experience with such.
Quote by Sguit
Well, it's easy to fry components with a soldering iron if your not careful.

Actually, they have a confidence boost kit that they sell 15$, and I think that if you can't finish it they refund it.
That's true, but as long as one is careful, it should be ok, just don't leave your iron sitting on a resistor or capacitor. First thing I ever soldered together was an amp
Quote by al112987
That's true, but as long as one is careful, it should be ok, just don't leave your iron sitting on a resistor or capacitor. First thing I ever soldered together was an amp

I don't think I've ever ruined a part, except an IC; being careful is key to getting the best results TS. It gets tiresome after awhile, especially if it's something complex. You should be fine with an 808 clone though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by I Poke Badgers
Well... your advice sounds like it is wisdom from experience, but it doesn't take into account that I'm a bit of a cheap bastard sometimes. $95, seeing as how I'm a bit too lazy/enjoying not working to go get a part-time job, is a bit much to spend with the $60 pedal available.

I've built my own computer before and while I know that's very different, there was very little out there to go by for it. Maybe I can figure out the GGG pedal too.

Hey, how hard can it be? >_<

Thanks for all the responses guys. Also, I can probably get my brother to help at least with the actual soldering since he has experience with such.

nothing wrong with being frugal...

afa building comps... there are many places you can get info in case it doesn't fire up right away...
www.tonepad.com
www.freestompboxes.org
www.amz.com
www.diystompboxes.com
and of course byoc and ggg.

some suggestions:
build an audio probe
have a multimeter
edit: an anti-static wristband
before you ever mount in the box... populate the pcb and put all the wires on... then twist two of the three tone control wires together, sm with dist and vol.

twist together live wire for battery snap, use some small alligator clips to connect an input jack to input wire... connect audio probe grnd to input jack ground along with battery ground and connect the probe to the output wire.

then test using a 'disposable' amp (just in case!).

the reason I suggest this is right off the bat you can eliminate switch/jack/pot wiring as a source of possible mistake. then if you finish up and put it in the box and it doesn't work you can concentrate on that half of the wiring... and if it doesn't pass this check - it's much easier to probe the circuit while it's not mounted in the box.
Last edited by mistermikev at Sep 17, 2009,
BTW,where did you learn to read Schematic?
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
I've built the ggg tubescreamer and while a regulated power supply is best I've had no prob with my 1spot, and yes, you can wire it up with a batter (not sure if one fits in the enclosure that comes with it... either way... get a batter clip and a 9v plug and you can plug in a battery externally.
Quote by mistermikev
I've built the ggg tubescreamer and while a regulated power supply is best I've had no prob with my 1spot, and yes, you can wire it up with a batter (not sure if one fits in the enclosure that comes with it... either way... get a batter clip and a 9v plug and you can plug in a battery externally.

What is a 1spot? And if I were to get a power supply, which of the 2 from that link would it be, if either?

Thanks
I'd suggest modding a TS7 if you have some soldering experience. Literally 2 things need to be replaced in it, what are they, a couple of transistors? I don't know, I've seen a link explaining the mod with pictures, and I'm sure there's videos out there showing you how to do it.
Quote by TheLetheProject
I'd suggest modding a TS7 if you have some soldering experience. Literally 2 things need to be replaced in it, what are they, a couple of transistors? I don't know, I've seen a link explaining the mod with pictures, and I'm sure there's videos out there showing you how to do it.

Now this is interesting. Anyone have any more info on this? Links to some sort of explanation or something?
I've not actually played a TS808 on my Peavey Classic 30, so I'm not exactly... deadset on getting one (for example, what's the difference between it and the TS9). How are the Fulltone OCD's? I found this page on their site and the 2nd and 3rd to last seemed interesting http://www.fulltone.com/blems.asp Are the FD 2's similar pedals? Also, if I went used on a pedal would there be anything to worry about? They don't break down or anything if taken care of, am I right?

The main hope for the pedal I buy is that I can get the amp to do distortion better. I like metal as well as hard rock kind of stuff. So like, Tool, Rammstein (probably no hope in getting similar tone), Styx, and so on.

Thanks again.
Last edited by I Poke Badgers at Sep 18, 2009,
Bump.

I'm actually watching some vids on the Fulltone OCD and FD2. I like what I hear... I'm probably just gonna save up a bit and buy one around $100 (those blems of the FD2 for example). Question though, do I want MOSFET for $10 more? I've no idea what it is.
Last edited by I Poke Badgers at Sep 18, 2009,
Quote by I Poke Badgers
What is a 1spot? And if I were to get a power supply, which of the 2 from that link would it be, if either?

Thanks

1spot is a cheap 9v multisupply($30). I've got three of them and in retrospect I probably could have bought a dc brick or other for the money (and would have had I known I'd have 46+ pedals at one point). Won't recommend a power supply as I've owned nothing but the one spot... other than to say it should be regulated, and have isolated inputs.
Quote by I Poke Badgers
Now this is interesting. Anyone have any more info on this? Links to some sort of explanation or something?

if it's anything like the ts-9 it's two resistors in the output section. 10k and 100ohm as I recal?

http://www.tonepad.com/projects.asp?projectType=fx
under photo essays (half way down) modding a ts9 to ts808 spec.

I'd get the ts-9 anyway(vs ts7)... better pots, better switch, better jacks and you can find it used for $50 on craigslist.
Last edited by mistermikev at Sep 20, 2009,