The only thing stopping me is that few bands, especially around here, actually USE rhythm guitar.

So, is being a rhythm guitarist actually worth it?
Uh I don't know what kind of bands don't use a rhythm guitarist. Generally songs sound empty without one.

Structurally, its more important than a lead guitar. So yes its worth it.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
very worth it. without rhythm, there's no music. a great rhythm line sound better the ears than just all lead playing.

EDIT: i just feel like adding on

rhythm will structure the song, so maybe you wont be as recognized in the band than the lead player just cause you're not shredding, but you will keep the song on track.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Last edited by randomhero93 at Sep 16, 2009,
blues rhythm = sex

if you play licks...
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Like I said though, what's the point in learning rhythm guitar only to find there's no bands who need it?

all bands need it. the bands near you must be really ignorant and just focused on shredding constantly. if you can convinve a band that you can fill in the emptynes of the band, then just go for it.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
What do you mean there's no bands that need it? Are you saying most bands in your area fill it with something like a keyboard player or that they already have one?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Like I said though, what's the point in learning rhythm guitar only to find there's no bands who need it?

To make something different?
It kind of depends what you're making the switch for. If you want something more interesting then you're much better off just writing more interesting bass parts. Rhythm guitar can only be so cool, while unusually good bass can be amazing.
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?
I think rythym guitar is more important than lead (slightly biased, i am one), but if your in it for $, bass is probally the way to go. most bands are in need of bass players, and most people that play bass are primarily guitar players. hope that helped!
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
Guitar players are a dime a dozen. Play guitar on the side.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
My two bands have always had the guitarists switch roles throughout the song we're playing. We always wrote with that in mind.

We'd split it very evenly, so that each guitarist would get a "rest" from lead and play rhythm instead. The back and forth made sure they both felt like they were playing the cool stuff, but we all also knew that the rhythm sections were just as important.

When it came to solos, we always had the one guitarist play them because the other one wasn't that good at improvising or shredding, but could do regular lead stuff.

As a song writer, I always make sure the guitars switch up roles all the time to keep it fresh for the player, as well as interesting to watch and listen to.
Don't learn rhythm guitar. Learn guitar. Just learn how to play the thing, if you suck, go back to bass. Simple as taht.
Rhythm is just.. not lead. Trust me, you won't be doing barre chords the whole time. Lamb of God's Willie Alder is a rhythm player and he's great.

You should do it.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
why do you wanna change from bass? Bass is a rhythm instrument too and it rocks.
Sorryz for me bad engrish.

Quote by OnlyIbanez12
I just cut myself shaving my pubes...
If you're a bassist you can be employed seven nights a week if you want.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
I'd take up tennis instead.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
even if you only play bass in bands, learning guitar can still be helpful
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by GuitarFreak664
It kind of depends what you're making the switch for. If you want something more interesting then you're much better off just writing more interesting bass parts. Rhythm guitar can only be so cool, while unusually good bass can be amazing.

I think I've phrased my OP badly- I perhaps should have said that I'm happy with where my bassplaying is at and I'm wanting to shift my GIGGING focus to rhythm guitar.
too many guitar players too little bass players where i live. I was thinking of making a switch to bass
Quote by DIFTWOOD
too many guitar players too little bass players where i live. I was thinking of making a switch to bass

Don't think that's the problem at all. It's that there aren't that many RHYTHM guitarists.
i agree. lead players and sh*t players are a dime a dozen. but a very good rythm player that can provide vocals as welll..... very nice
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
i agree. lead players and sh*t players are a dime a dozen. but a very good rythm player that can provide vocals as welll..... very nice

Phil Collen would agree.
It's not really that common for bands to have a guitarist that plays strictly rhythm unless the rhythm guitarist is the singer. Usually 2 guitarists trade off leads. If you can only play rhythm, you probably won't be "good enough" for many bands.

But by all means, learn to play guitar. You don't have to "change" from bass to guitar. Just play both. If nothing else, you'll be able to understand the music from another perspective. And why limit yourself to just playing rhythm? Play whatever you want to learn.
A lot of great bands' (Tool, Muse, and others) bassists double as Rhythm guitarists. Also there is a great shortage of Bassists around (at least where I live).

Keep your bass, and get a guitar as well. I'd suggest you primarily play bass, but pick up the guitar when it's needed
Do what I'm probably going to do....

I have a big issue. I love bass and guitar and I want to play both. I think that learning guitar (lessons) would be more helpful towards bass then taking bass lessons and playing guitar....

I'm also pretty sure that guitar scales can be worked into bass easier than a bass scale.

I love all aspects of music and I want to play every instrument it's just a matter of which first. Haha.
why not just be a guitarist? or play both bass and guitar?
why does everything have to be so neatly placed in rhythm or lead...
and if it's a "career" choice then you definitely want to stick with bass
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

every band can use a rhythm guitarist. if you have a bassist you can use a rhythm guitar. whether you're playing chords under a lead, or playing a harmony to the lead guitar, it can all sound good. saying bands in a certain area don't use them doesn't really make sense. i say switch! playing guitar can be a lot more fun by yourself than playing bass, too. bass just sounds a little empty by itself most of the time. i started on bass, got bored, and switched to guitar and have been happy i did since!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Either choice, you will be overshadowed by the lead guitar anyways, so who cares?

Disclaimer: The above post was a joke
The beauty of rhythm guitar is you don't actually need a band if you don't want or can't find one.
Quote by ascend
The beauty of rhythm guitar is you don't actually need a band if you don't want or can't find one.

exactly what i wanted to say, but couldn't say as simply. and if you have recording gear you can do cool things with a guitar and a bass. could be kind of fun. even if you keep playing bass, it's good to know some guitar. i think most professional bassists do.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Bands need players with a good right hand. That doesn't just mean someone who strums open chords, if you're chugging away at a tight riff, then you're playing rhythm.

Learn that 16th note alternate picking style where you keep the beat going constantly in your picking hand, then hit or miss as required, so that your hand is like this constant metrenome locked in with the drums.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Rythm guitarists weither unnecessary nor are they strictly necessary. It depends on the band you play in. There are many bands with only 1 guitarist and many with 2 guitarists.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Post some notes on bulletin boards at the local guitar shops and in those free newspapers with all the pseudo-cultural events, kinky sex ads and concert announcements. If all else fails form your own band. Someone has to be looking for a player at whatever time you qualify for the gig.
Quote by Chorduroy
Post some notes on bulletin boards at the local guitar shops and in those free newspapers with all the pseudo-cultural events, kinky sex ads and concert announcements. If all else fails form your own band. Someone has to be looking for a player at whatever time you qualify for the gig.

If push comes to shove, I will do this.