So recently iv started learning to play the keyboard. Iv learned a few songs and things from the internet but what im not learning is the proper technique for playin fast parts with my right hand. The problem is when i go to hit a black key its obviously higher up than the white keys and it throws me off time when i have to reach up for it. Im wondering if perhaps theres someway of positioning your hands or whatever that will make this easier or if you just have to practise?

Cheers for any suggestions
Quote by 86th fret
my testes turned blue from just reading that. i mean just imagine that they would ****ing burst and your... omg..

Quote by acrocks
i'd bite the zombies so they'd turn into me
Bet they wouldn't see that coming
Practice, practice, practice!
GEAR:
Fender USA Lefty Telecaster
Custom HSS Lefty Strat
Samick Hollow-body
BOSS DS-1
BOSS SD-1
BOSS CE-4
BOSS DD-6
USA Big Muff PI
Peavey MACE 160w Head
Peavey MACE 410 Cabinet
Yamaha FG-450S-L
Eleca DAG3LN Lefty Acoustic
slide your fingers a bit so you are playing the white keys almost in between the black keys. it takes time to get used to, but it's worth it.
yeah ive been playing for a little over 8 years now and there is no real "technique" for hitting the black keys. i guess the best thing to do is try to hit the tip of it because its easiest to hit there. overall just practice with it a lot, that really is the best advice
Fender MIM Standard lefty strat (midnight wine, sexy i know)
Vox DA15
Quote by rock.meet Slash
oh yes but do they have....THE PIT?

Quote by rickmeister
Stealing is cool again? Sweet, I'm gonna rob a Subway brb
I can sorta play. I suck, and my fingering is abysmal, but I know the keyboard and I can read piano music. I'm planning on majoring in music in college, though, and most universities force you to take piano if it isn't your principal.

That'll help, because I'm nuts about synths.
Thats what i was afraid of. Its quite frustrating to go from an instrument like guitar which iv been playin for a good few years and am fairly good at to another one where im a complete beginner. Cheers for the help guys
Quote by 86th fret
my testes turned blue from just reading that. i mean just imagine that they would ****ing burst and your... omg..

Quote by acrocks
i'd bite the zombies so they'd turn into me
Bet they wouldn't see that coming
Piano definetly takes a LOT of practice to get timing and all the multitasking down in such a spread out area. It simply takes practice. For the "black keys" you'll just have to move a second finger sooner or faster than normal to get to the key and compromise for the greater space you have to stretch.
You're killing me Smalls!
Quote by shattamakkar
OMG ARE THOSE WAT I THINK THEY ARE!
Just practice and you will get used to it. I've played for a while and hitting black keys will get easier as long as you practice.