So i've been playing guitar a few years now and have recently started getting into more hardcore/metaly stuff. Some of the things I need help on is getting super fast chugging down (stuff like miss may i or as blood runs black) Any tips? Thanks
What exactly are you having trouble with? The speed/tremolo picking, rhythm?
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
As with everything on guitar, play it slowly, to a metronome, with perfect rhythm, and sounding exactly as you want it to sound, and then slowly speed it up.
mine is more just getting up to speed with the rhythm.
but I'll definitely try out a metronome. Thanks =D
Rest your hand on the body of the guitar and use that as a fulcrum point to move up and down. Use just your wrist, no arm movement at all.

Use thin picks ( I play death metal/grindcore/etc ) and I use Dunlop nylon .38 or .46 the best picks on the planet
Yeah, I use dunlop tortex 1mm picks and switch to a .73mm for tremelo picking.
MoOsEkNuCkLe......All my friends yell OI!

Gear:
Jackson Dk2m
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960a
Kramer Focus 1000
Dunlop Crybaby
Hardwire Tuner
Boss NS-2

Red Bear 120 $50/$600
Quote by mikey son
Thick picks are much better for metal

Well not for me, mabye for you.
Quote by darkwolf291
Play with a metronome and slowly turn the speed up, the key is to find the point when you're not only fast, but consistent, after you find that point, keep building the speed up little by little

METRONOME METRONOME METRONOME!

Also, get some 1.00 picks.

Practice at like 130, and then after you get 130 down, move up to 135, then 140 and so on.

www.all-guitar-chords.com >>>>> They have a metronome on the site, also its a great site for learning scales and chords.
GEAR

Guitars
Danelectro Double Cutaway 1959 reissue, Jay Turser Vintage Series Strat

Pedals
Danelectro Reel Echo, Crybaby Wah, Boss DS-1

Amplifiers
Orange Crush 30w
Fender Pro Junior
With this technique, many people use incorrect nomenclature. Please look through the "gallop" lesson in my sig and make sure you understand what I said in that thread.
Never heard of Miss May, but as for As Blood Runs Black's stuff, the key to chugging is economizing your movements (ie economy picking). And as aforementioned, the use of a metronome to practice whilst increasing the bpm is a big help, and should be a part of your practice routine anyway.
And because they play in drop C, you might want to avoid thin picks. Go .88 and up.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Use wrist picking? your probably already doing that
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Chugging uses one string!

You were aware he said economy of motion, right? Just before calling it economy picking, although he didn't call it economy picking... he had ie. before it as to give an example of economising picking per se.

Anyway TS, James Hetfield gets super fast downstrokes while Kirk Hammet has to use alternate picking to keep up... if you can get your upstrokes to sound as good as your downstrokes... you can have an easier job of making it great. Otherwise some other people may help you out in the guitar techniques section if you don't get your answer here...
Haha economy picking ain't geared toward heavy riffs my friend. As people have correctly stated (and just like everything other topic discussed) you must play it slow and build it up from there. There is no trick to get you to do. Just practice and experience.

I use Dunlop 1.14 picks. I think they are the best, but hey just my opinion. And as I've said before, one of my favorite things to do is the palm mute that only slightly mutes the bottom strings, so the bottom two are still ringing out. It sounds fun to me.
Good Luck man!
Quote by :-D
I go to college with mattrsg1; for what it's worth he is the best guitarist I have heard in person, and in particular stands out from others in my age group. You will not be disappointed, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94
yeah matt... u are correct. I can't play heavy riffs at all. I can't play much of anything. But I do know that I typed "economy of motion" as did the other guy. Building up from a slow tempo to ultra super duper fast might be normal logic but reading the other stuff may take more stamina, I understand. Your pick won't make much of a difference when its above .73 or so... but yeah... thanks for reading inside the quotations and not the rest
Quote by Deathloc45
Rest your hand on the body of the guitar and use that as a fulcrum point to move up and down. Use just your wrist, no arm movement at all.

Use thin picks ( I play death metal/grindcore/etc ) and I use Dunlop nylon .38 or .46 the best picks on the planet

You lose so much attack and "umpfh" when you play with little thingies like that.
about the picks, I've heard of a few people that prefer thinner picks for faster things, but that suggests to me that they're using them to make up for lack of control. floppy picks may seem to make you faster because you don't have to be as accurate, but it uses a lot more energy to hit the string because you have to exaggerate your movements, you have to move the pick a lot further for each individual note.
Get Jazz III's - they wont give an incredibly difference to speed but you'll notice an improvement

Also having thick strings helps - I play a lot of thrash so my low E string is a .52, more tension = less movement in string = faster picking
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
Quote by PuppetMaster91
Get Jazz III's - they wont give an incredibly difference to speed but you'll notice an improvement

+1
For right now im playing with .73mm picks with 10s for strings. do i need thinner strings?
Thicker strings are better. 10s are fine, but if you can play with 11s, use the thicker strings.

12s typically have a wrapped G string and you rarely want that on a electric guitar; 13s always have a wrapped G, and that's overkill, anyway. Of course, I use 11s, so...
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Thicker strings are better. 10s are fine, but if you can play with 11s, use the thicker strings.

12s typically have a wrapped G string and you rarely want that on a electric guitar; 13s always have a wrapped G, and that's overkill, anyway. Of course, I use 11s, so...

Actually I'd just say they sound different (and not all that much).

9's sound great IMO.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by The4thHorsemen
about the picks, I've heard of a few people that prefer thinner picks for faster things, but that suggests to me that they're using them to make up for lack of control. floppy picks may seem to make you faster because you don't have to be as accurate, but it uses a lot more energy to hit the string because you have to exaggerate your movements, you have to move the pick a lot further for each individual note.
+1. But trying to play fast with a floppy pick must be a bit like trying to write with a rubber pencil - if you've got no control over what the end of your pick is doing how can you play accurately?
Quote by The4thHorsemen

+1

Personally I use picks above .7 mm. Normally 1 mm.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Get a Hybrid set - Ernie Ball skinny top heavy bottoms for example
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
LOL at how this thread turned into a pick thickness and string guage battle....

The answer - as with all other techniques - is practice.

And I wouldn't recommend resting your hand on the guitar if you can avoid it. That might be okay when playing on the low E and A strings...but what if you want to move down to the D string then back up without palm-muting - or doing a fill on the high strings for that matter?

Pick and string choice is completely subjective....although Jazz III's are the winner.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ