I can get one for 225. However, I know that these guitars are notorious for a. neck issues (need to be relayed) and b. frets need to be refretted. The guy selling claims that the guitar is in legit playable condition, neck perfect, etc. However I don't have the 500-something bucks needed for such repairs.

Hence, how do I tell if the neck is straight/needs refret/etc?

Also, any comments on this guitar? I already own a Takamine cedar-top that I love, however since it's cedar I can't play it outside in the sunlight. Also it's undergoing heavy repairs and well I won't be able to drag that guitar around places like I would this, considering this one is sound and all.

Thank you.
Easy answer first... If the frets are visibly worn, they may need to be replaced. The worst spots tend to be around the third fret on the B string, but that can change depending on the player. Here is a lovely picture of some REALLY bad frets, shamelessly pilfered from www.hoffmanguitars.com :

(the picture is big, so it takes a while)

As for how to check if the neck is straight, you can on of the many online tutorials around. Here is one from frets.com. What you need is about 3/4ths of the way down, when he goes on about measuring neck relief.

LINK

This next comment had me a little confused...

Quote by dcwexler
I already own a Takamine cedar-top that I love, however since it's cedar I can't play it outside in the sunlight.

What gives you the impression that you can't play a cedar guitar in the sun?
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Sep 16, 2009,
^ Direct sunlight is probably not great for the guitar because it creates some UV damage on the finish. As well, really intense direct sunlight can begin to weaken the glue(which is what you should really be worried about) if the guitar is left out long enough. Feel free to take your guitar outside in a nice shady area and play your heart out though. That's the best place to play a guitar - in the outdoors with some shade and a nice breeze.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
^ Direct sunlight is probably not great for the guitar because it creates some UV damage on the finish. As well, really intense direct sunlight can begin to weaken the glue(which is what you should really be worried about) if the guitar is left out long enough.

From his phrasing, I was under the impression that he treats his guitar like a vampire. As long as you don't leave it out there for hours, playing outside is perfectly safe.