I am posting this because I need help and have found limited information on the internet about it. I have a MIM Fender Stratocaster in dark blue (Midnight Blue or Electron Blue, not sure) with maple fretboard, all stock, made in '98.
I am wanting to try a method of hum cancelling using a Dummy Coil, because I do not have the money for noiseless pickups, and I have extra single coils I do not use.
So my question is, how do I wire a dummy coil so that all 3 pickups are noiseless? Do I only use one dummy coil, and how do I wire it correctly?
Last edited by Chaos-Serenade at Sep 16, 2009,
I found some info awhile back while researching the Suhr BPSSC, I would start a search from there.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Come on people! This can't be that hard! And no, I can't afford any outside source or solution, only the extra single coils I plan to gut and use as a dummy. I just need to know what to wire it to... I'd preferably like to cancel hum on the neck and bridge, which would mean I'd use a stock middle pickup from another strat, because it's reverse wound?
It's called a P-90? As far as I know there is no noiseless single-coil, but apparently if you dip them in wax or something they won't make as much noise. I'm not sure exactly what kind of wax it is though.
These are Stratocaster style single coils, and the wax is called Paraffin wax. That helps, but I'm talking about using a false pickup beneath the pickguard to make the used pickups like humbuckers, but still true single coils.
That wouldn't do anything except cause more noise, you would need to wind your own pickup with the materials from the two pickups.. But it would just be a P-90. Why don't you save up and get something that will sound great instead of running the risk of depolarizing all your pickup magnets and having to buy a new set anyway?
Try turning off all of the electronics near where you're playing and see if it gets better?

EDIT: I pmed you a helpful page, but it links to another forum so I couldn't post it. Go see if thats what you need.
Last edited by ticklemeemo at Sep 17, 2009,
Quote by ticklemeemo
That wouldn't do anything except cause more noise, you would need to wind your own pickup with the materials from the two pickups.. But it would just be a P-90.

P-90s aren't stacked.

Fender Noiseless pups are though.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by ticklemeemo
That wouldn't do anything except cause more noise, you would need to wind your own pickup with the materials from the two pickups.. But it would just be a P-90. Why don't you save up and get something that will sound great instead of running the risk of depolarizing all your pickup magnets and having to buy a new set anyway?
Try turning off all of the electronics near where you're playing and see if it gets better?

EDIT: I pmed you a helpful page, but it links to another forum so I couldn't post it. Go see if thats what you need.

P90 = single coil.
The dummy coil would only work on either the neck and bridge pickups or middle pickup because Strats already have a reverse wound middle coil.
The intended effect I want is hum canceling in the bridge or neck positions, using a reverse wound dummy coil, so it would be like what happens with the hum canceling in positions 2 and 4, only full output bridge or full output neck effects in positions 1 and 5. So What do I solder the dummy coil to, the output itself, or the same terminals that the neck and bridge pickups are connected?
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
I am posting this because I need help and have found limited information on the internet about it. I have a MIM Fender Stratocaster in dark blue (Midnight Blue or Electron Blue, not sure) with maple fretboard, all stock, made in '98.
I am wanting to try a method of hum cancelling using a Dummy Coil, because I do not have the money for noiseless pickups, and I have extra single coils I do not use.
So my question is, how do I wire a dummy coil so that all 3 pickups are noiseless? Do I only use one dummy coil, and how do I wire it correctly?
1 - Fender has been using RWRP pickups in the middle position for years. This gives hum-canceling in the Bridge+Middle and Middle+Neck positions.

2 - You could use a dummy coil in a non-sensing location to pickup only hum that you would use to cancel the hum from a coil (or coils) that are used for sensing the strings.

3 - Wiring the dummy coil in series allows for it to easily be shunted when you don't need it (positions 2 and 4 on the selector). This could be made to work with a standard 5-way switch, if you use a master tone control instead of using the second pole of the switch for selecting which tone control is being used.

4 - Wiring the dummy coil in parallel will give a brighter tone.

5 - You could use a normally wound pickup in the middle position and have the dummy coil active at all times. This will give you full hum-canceling in the 1, 3, and 5 positions and partial hum canceling in the 2 and 4 positions.

6 - A 4P5T superswitch will allow you more choices that will give you full hum-canceling.

7 - Wiring questions are best answered in the Guitar Wiring Thread in GB&C.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Thank you so much, that helped a lot, the only thing I'm not sure of is, how do I know if it's wired series or parallel? The dummy coil has a ground and a lead wire... And do you think if I made a master tone, that I could add a switch to change the dummy coil to be used in either the neck or the bridge when switched?
CordruoyEW is a user on here that makes his own pickups. You could try PM'ing him for more info.
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
Thank you so much, that helped a lot, the only thing I'm not sure of is, how do I know if it's wired series or parallel?
Series or parallel depends on how YOU choose to wire it into the circuit.

Quote by Chaos-Serenade
And do you think if I made a master tone, that I could add a switch to change the dummy coil to be used in either the neck or the bridge when switched?
Yes. Using the standard Fender 5-way, you could have the dummy coil (automatically connected) in series only in the Bridge position and the Neck position.

If you wanted to add another switch to defeat the dummy coil and use the bridge or neck without it, that is also possible.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.