Admittingly this is a minor nuisance but it has messed me up alot when playin eighth notes w/ my thumb. Thumb gets caught in the string and take about say 1/3-1/2 longer completly messes up the rythym. I wanna be careful clipping since last time I clipped and messed up I had to wait for it to regrow. would shortening help? I found that bending my thumb back gets rid of it but its so uncomfortable.
my professor says never to to clip the nail. try getting really fine sandpaper and filing it down on the left side. it should look sort of like a ramp.... just google it and you'll find some good references.
I used a small clipper and sortof moved it to the right except for my thumb which is curved left. Does that count?
nvm I just had my sis nail file my fingers and she accidentally even'd out my thumb nail so I'll prolly have to wait till that regrows tho she did an excellent job in shortening but maintaining shape of the others. She does nail for a living
where on your thumbnail does the string catch - top, side or corner?

use an extra fine emery board. it should be pink or white - the other colors are coarser and will make your nail rough.
Quote by patticake
where on your thumbnail does the string catch - top, side or corner?

use an extra fine emery board. it should be pink or white - the other colors are coarser and will make your nail rough.

A what? and corner
It's impossible to answer the question without seeing how you are using your thumb, i.e. check on your technique.