Page 1 of 3
there is a metal & reading thread.
why not have a metal and art thread, it could be interesting.

Metal has a very strong, recognisable and yet varied visual connection and visual communication is a large part of the none-audio based of metal culture, as it is with any music genre, but possibly more so with metal than other genres...

anybody have anything to say about metal/art&design?
illustration student - happy to do any band artwork/logos
some of my work can be seen at:

theGentleSquid

are you talking about album cover and booklet art, or what?
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
anything.
when people think about art in music, they usually and, somewhat unfortunately, nearly always restrict themselves to album art.
but it can relate to anything; a bands image from a photoshoot or stage costumes/makeup, logo design, music videos etc etc

i thought it might be interesting to have a thread about this, it might be a dive or go down well.

edit: did Olofsson do artwork for the faceless? his portfolio looks like something faceless use. namely because of blue and purple.

theGentleSquid

Last edited by destöroyah at Sep 16, 2009,
its getting big in the tech death and death core scenes; this sci-fi illustration style.
have you seen the artwork destroy destroy destroy use? its vaguely reminiscent.

theGentleSquid

the guy who did Suffo's album covers is my favorite.

as for logos, I think Cryptopsy and Atheist win this one.

Sumdeus
Quote by destöroyah
its getting big in the tech death and death core scenes; this sci-fi illustration style.
have you seen the artwork destroy destroy destroy use? its vaguely reminiscent.

No, I haven't seen it, but I do agree. Space and the universe seems to be the current thing. Especially for tech/brutal bands.

This isn't Par, but it's awesome.

yeah I think it's a cool idea, but it's getting cliched waay too fast

Sumdeus
Yeah I dunno if it has become so yet, but if it keeps up at this point it may be.

But I'm not sure, as I love spacey stuff anyway.
my favourite artwork at the minute, and has been for quite a while now, was the photoshoot gallhammer did for terrorizer magazine; never seen anything like it before or anything as good since - the rest of gallhammers associated artwork has been fairly mediochre and non descript.

dont know who the photographer (i'd put money on it being peter beste) or designer was

edit: the photographer was Steve Brown

theGentleSquid

Last edited by destöroyah at Sep 16, 2009,
also, when speaking of metal art, Fuck Me Jesus should never be forgotten

Sumdeus
agalloch - everything
cynic - artwork at least
opeth - artwork and concepts, logo stylings and etc
swallow the sun - plague of butterflies. nuff said. it was made for a ballet.
wintersun - artwork at least, have you seen the leaked new artwork?
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
I like the covers for Forgotten Tomb's Songs to Leave (can't post it here) and pretty much all of Amon Amarth's discography.
Dennis Thomsen is my favorite designer though

(Invalid img)
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
Last edited by XxDethmetalxX at Sep 16, 2009,
That is pretty awesome.

My favorite album artwork of all time (at the moment) has to be this. Funny part is that I don't really like the band.

EDIT:

Holy **** the cover for Wintersun's new album is in fact amazing! I love the color scheme.

Last edited by P1ayingW1thF1re at Sep 16, 2009,

this

Sumdeus
I kinda like some metal artwork, like some of the KSE covers and the cover of Suicide Season by Bring me the Horizon. But some covers, especially Cannibal Corpse covers, are kinda over-the-top. My favorite cover artists are probably Alex Pardee, who did the new In Flames artwork, as well as stuff with The Used, CAGE, and Aiden. Alot of his stuff is pretty scary, but still bright and vibrant. I also kinda like Paul A Romano, who has done the Mastodon artwork.

EDIT: Here's the In Flames cover, for The Mirror's Truth. It's pretty awesome, and different for a metal cover.
Last edited by qotsa1998 at Sep 16, 2009,
Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
That is pretty awesome.

My favorite album artwork of all time (at the moment) has to be this. Funny part is that I don't really like the band.

EDIT:

Holy **** the cover for Wintersun's new album is in fact amazing! I love the color scheme.

too bad jaris pissed it got leaked and is probably gonna change it anyway. thats like beta cover lol. hope it doent change too much i really like it
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
I absolutely hate that CGI polished cover design. It looks abysmal and doesn't suit metal at all. Shame on all who choose covers with that design. It has no spirit whatsoever.

The classic drawn art is better in every way. All of the best cover art in metal is not the weak CGI bull****.
Quote by qotsa1998
I kinda like some metal artwork, like some of the KSE covers and the cover of Suicide Season by Bring me the Horizon. But some covers, especially Cannibal Corpse covers, are kinda over-the-top. My favorite cover artists are probably Alex Pardee, who did the new In Flames artwork, as well as stuff with The Used, CAGE, and Aiden. Alot of his stuff is pretty scary, but still bright and vibrant. I also kinda like Paul A Romano, who has done the Mastodon artwork.

EDIT: Here's the In Flames cover, for The Mirror's Truth. It's pretty awesome, and different for a metal cover.

Except, you know, That album isn't metal at all, and it's also probably one of the worst albums I've ever heard. And the cover sucks, to me. But w/e, that part is subjective.

I really like Olofsson's work, and the cover artist of Kathaarsys... And the Cover art for Cormorant's new album, Metazoa, is ****ing awesome.
yeh I think that in flames cover is horrible.

Sumdeus
Quote by Burning_Angel
Except, you know, That album isn't metal at all, and it's also probably one of the worst albums I've ever heard. And the cover sucks, to me. But w/e, that part is subjective.

rofl
Philosophy > Life
Quote by AzureNight
I absolutely hate that CGI polished cover design. It looks abysmal and doesn't suit metal at all. Shame on all who choose covers with that design. It has no spirit whatsoever.

The classic drawn art is better in every way. All of the best cover art in metal is not the weak CGI bull****.

CGI covers aren't that bad, I prefer them for stuff like tech death, etc. The polished covers can be pretty cool. Hand drawn is pretty great as well though, so go figure
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
Quote by MoogleRancha
rofl

The cover is an owl-headed boy seeing into his methhead other self in a mirror next to a mangled version of the TJR cover, while some limp tulip-y things grow out the clouds beside him. The cover is pretty much as garbage as the music
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Fairly certain we've had a few "metal art" threads over the years.
But whatever.
I may be biased, but Xenoyr from Ne Obliviscaris does some amazing artwork.

Can't wait until I start showing off the Aeternitas front cover ^_^
par ollafson is sweet.

but... HR Giger and the cover for Psypheria's Embrace the Mutation is king.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Last edited by bootyguard at Sep 17, 2009,
black metal always uses the coolest art...

Sumdeus
Quote by piratemetalhead
The cover is an owl-headed boy seeing into his methhead other self in a mirror next to a mangled version of the TJR cover, while some limp tulip-y things grow out the clouds beside him. The cover is pretty much as garbage as the music

It's symbolic! It's the band saying "damn, looking back, we used to be awesome! Now we have owls on our heads!"

I like this cover. It's bleak and simple. Depressing as well.

edit: another

Last edited by jetfuel495 at Sep 17, 2009,

alchemist album art. both drawn by roy from alchemist

mons animae mortuorum by pod people. art by a bloke called glenno, if i recall correctly.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
I don't like SOP but Noctambulant was certainly badass

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Sep 17, 2009,

There appears to be a female in that male sauna
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Page 1 of 3