I need a bit of help with a question from my Engineering coursework...

Is the calculated current (Icalc) always less than the measured current (Icalc)?

For example...
My measured current was .22A, while my calculated current was .1697A .

What would cause this?
I know it's a bit sad, but I've never had any experience with current/circuits and really have no idea on the principles behind the math and how they correlate into real-life situations.

EDIT:

The chart shows...
Vs (volts) = 7
Power (watts) = .9
Measured Current I (amps) = .22
Calculated Current I (amps) = .1697
Last edited by dudey5691 at Sep 16, 2009,
I'm lost...
Quote by Royal Celebi
Not allowed to whip out my dick in the middle of class. Ludicrous.

Quote by ratracekid111
Is that even Possible?!?!?

Quote by ilovepepsi
can i go blind by eating purple
I would have expected the measured current to be less than the calculated current due to physical imperfections in the components, which leads to higher resistance and less current.

However, I have only had basic level electronics so I don't really know.
yeah im with tremolo. but yeah im just in some beginer classes in highschool.
Quote by tancanada
He's from Arkansas. Of course he wants to eat it.

Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

Quote by ikitson
im drunk idc

( . Y . )
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_calculated_current_different_from_measured_current_in_a_circuit

Looks like measured should be lower than calculated.

Are you sure you're calculating it properly?

EDIT :

What's your resistance? Current (I) is Voltage over Resistance (in Ohms). You didn't give the ohms, do you have that number?
Last edited by dark&broken at Sep 16, 2009,
Quote by dark&broken
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_calculated_current_different_from_measured_current_in_a_circuit

Looks like measured should be lower than calculated.

Are you sure you're calculating it properly?

EDIT :

What's your resistance? Current (I) is Voltage over Resistance (in Ohms). You didn't give the ohms, do you have that number?

Unrelated. P=IV, where P = power in watts, I = current in amps, and V = voltage. According to that, the calculated seems to be wrong.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by asfastasdark
Unrelated. P=IV, where P = power in watts, I = current in amps, and V = voltage. According to that, the calculated seems to be wrong.

Ah ok, I knew there were other equations, but I haven't done anything with this since high-school, and I'm now in 2nd year uni, so it's been a while. I was just going by what google had to say.
Alright, after discussing things with an online colleague...

I should have mentioned that we used some quadratic equation that is meant to find theoretical current... RI^2 - VI + P = 0
Our TA said pick the solution closest to the measured, so I chose that... There is, however, a solution that is higher.
BUT, in the case of the .22A-current... the calculated Current would be .5303, which is apparently an irrealistic drop in current.

Any ideas?

It's a parallel circuit with one 10- and 20-ohm resistors, with a multimeter and watt-meter in the circuit.
I'd post a picture, but cannot right now.