What are the pros and the cons for having a master volume on a tube amp? How does it change the sound?

I have a Crate Vintage Club 30, and it has separate volume controls for each channel, as well as a gain control for the second channel. Do the volume controls control the power amp? Or are they "after" the power amp (I don't know how else to say it)?

Thanks!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
The master is for the power amp the individual ones are for the pre amp.
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
The gain knob sets the preamp gain. If you crank the volume for that same channel you will get power tube saturation.

Having a master volume lets you crank the channel volume and gain, then adjust overall volume. If you crank the channel volume then make the master low, you still won't get power tube saturation, just makes it easier to find a low volume I believe.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
turn down the master and turn up the individual volumes for more natural gain ( I think? )
Ok, a master volume, on most master volume amps, is what is just before the power amp and it controls the amount of volume that goes into it. A volume knob controls the volume in the late stages of the preamp, and the gain knob controls how much volume is sent into the amp at the input.
That of course generally speaking, each amps have different designs but it gives you an idea do get distortion from the late stages of the preamp.
Last edited by Sguit at Sep 16, 2009,
A master volume is placed typically before the power section of an amp, so when you turn up the gain control, all you're getting is the gain from the preamp tubes breaking up. If you have a gain control, there is a master volume on your amp. If there is any sort of universal master volume that regulates several channels, that's also a master volume and any channel gain or channel volume are all preamp gain controls.

There is nothing wrong with a master volume, nor are there really any cons as long as it's a good master volume.

Pros - it allows you to play at lower volumes

Quote by Sguit
Ok, a master volume, on most master volume amps, is what is just before the power amp and it controls the amount of volume that goes into it. A volume knob controls the volume in the late stages of the preamp, and the gain knob controls how much volume is sent into the amp at the input.
That of course generally speaking, each amps have different designs but it gives you an idea do get distortion from the late stages of the preamp.

I have never seen this on any amp circuit I've ever seen. The amp cannot control how much signal is coming in the input.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 16, 2009,
Quote by al112987

I have never seen this on any amp circuit I've ever seen. The amp cannot control how much signal is coming in the input.

That's not what I was trying to say, I meant that the gain control is placed early in the preamp, not before the preamp