Im almost compeltely broke, but my band hassles me to record riffs and the breakdowns and solos, over and over so they can get beats and lyrics down, and my ****ty 10$ webcam mic doesnt cut it.

Right now all my money is in a fund for a new amp so i need something really cheap, that doesnt sound too mediocre, but it doesnt have to be pro. just to use for about 3 weeks.

the marshall emulated line out sounds terrible

Hell, my friend uses a guitar hero mic, and it sounds pretty legit.

is there anything under 15 bucks or soemthing liek that?

Thanks in advance.
My Rig
------------------
Schecter Damien 6 (mod with 81/85 emg)
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Digitech RP250 (for Sale)
15 bucks? i don't know, my friend used to use a rock band mic for his vocal recordings, like your friend. but then he saved up and bought a cheap condenser mic with a filter, and now everything sounds professional
i dont want pro quality. i want a cheap mic for recording temporarily
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
If you have a video camera use that. I personally use a 10 dollar dynamic (karaoke) mic for vocals. Its not that bad, actually. I mainly get away with it do to my preamp being pretty good (Line 6 Pod Farm) and the fact that I mostly do screams. If you just want recordings for the purpose you've pointed out, then that should do you well.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
my video cam is old as hell.
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
I've used some of the cheap ($20-30) nady mics when I first started recording and they'll work just fine.
I highly recommend the Behringer C-1U at $69, that's the lowest price I can think of. Anything cheaper is going to be no better than the onboard mic of a good digicam.

And why the hell would you recommend an SM57?
I actually agree with beyondthegrave. I've recorded a riff or two with my buddie's guitar hero mic and the quality was definitely acceptable for your purposes aka just getting the riffs down for basic playback.
anyones?
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Maybe google for the specs of the Guitar Hero mic and try find a mic with the same specs? In my head it sounds like it should work :P
lol.. its not just aberdeen.. its like any asian mall in richmond is poorly designed for parking.. look at parker and empire centre. empire centre is the worst.. who puts a supermarket right inthe middle of no where and then you have parkerplace where ppl Make their own parking spots on the top floor.. and then in aberdeen.. u go in circles and you have some crazy chinese guy in a m3.. whippin around corners without looking to see if there is any opposing traffic. or then you have some housewife.. practicing her rear end parking skillz.
Dude if you want to improve on a s**** $10 mic you really have to spend at least $60, and really over $100, or else you'll just end up with a different type of s*** sound....

[EDIT] Also, while you're at it, read up about mics. That's a dynamic and is really only useful for live vocals (I'm sure someone uses dynamics to record vocals in the studio, but I hate them personally, you can just get a half-decent LD condensor for the same price). You're looking at a small-diaphragm condensor for micing amps. Just save up for an SM57, you'll be kicking yourself otherwise.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Last edited by Union Of V at Sep 29, 2009,
with the crap gear you use you don't need a mic.. you can just record out from your line 6 or your RP.. right into your soundcard.