Hey all, Im leaving for college in about a week and had a question about using my guitar amp as a stereo. I have a 100w Raven ss half stack and was wondering if running an mp3 player (with required cords and adapters) into the input of my amp (it has no mp3/aux jack to do this) and using the amp as a stereo would have any adverse effects on the amp. I have a huge killer stereo system that i could bring but I figure if I can kill two birds with one stone and use my half stack for both without ruining it, that would be the best way to go.

As always, Thanks for any help
-Josh
Gear:
1983 Gibson Futura
Gibson Explorer (copy)
Ibanez 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Raven Halfstack
Boss ML-2 Metal Core
Rocktron Banshee Talk box
Home-made killswitch pedal and amp footswitch
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Ibanez PUE-5 Multi Effects
Most likely, you won't hurt your amp, but you will lose sound quality.

Guitar amps aren't hi-fi. They are meant to alter and sculpt the sound that comes into them.
yeah, its not the same with a reg amp.
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
if its a single speaker then it will only play one side of the music :/ i do this whith my amp, but i can only hear half the harmony cuz it only plays the right side :O
as that one guy above me said, amps arent meant to sculpt mp3's
Quote by end_citizen
Most likely, you won't hurt your amp, but you will lose sound quality.

Guitar amps aren't hi-fi. They are meant to alter and sculpt the sound that comes into them.

so basically i wont hurt the amp, i just wont get amazing sound quality when listening to the mp3 source. For 9 months....I can live with that lol. Thanks again for the response!
Gear:
1983 Gibson Futura
Gibson Explorer (copy)
Ibanez 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Raven Halfstack
Boss ML-2 Metal Core
Rocktron Banshee Talk box
Home-made killswitch pedal and amp footswitch
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Ibanez PUE-5 Multi Effects
amazing sound quality is a bit backwards way to think about it. your home stereo doesn't have amazing sound quality. but your guitar amp is going to sound like sh1t unless you use a direct box with a high Z output. also had to throw in the fact that its a raven, it will always sound like sh1t. but putting an amplified unbalanced line level signal into a high z guitar input is madness. buy a direct box or a really small ipod dock. Ipod dock would be better cause its full range and stereo.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
besides the impedence issue fullsailstudent described above theres another issue, somewhat more obvious and blatant.

a guitar amp will work but not exactly as a stereo. stereo implies stereo imaging, which you wont get with 1 amp. then you have the other obstacle that a guitar amp wont recreate the full sound that you get from a stereo. everything will sound unbalanced within the mix since guitar amps reproduce guitar sounds very well but arent exactly the best when it comes to drums. basically it'll be loud and sound like garbage and chicks will think yr too cheap to spend $60 on a decent boombox that'd sound better than an amp for music listening.
I use my Hot Rod Deluxe as a 'stereo.' It works fine, and a SS will probably sound better anyways. Assuming you'll be needing a 1/8 to 1/4 phono adapter, make sure you get one that is stereo to mono. They're a little more expensive than a mono to mono or stereo to stereo, but they're still less than 5 bucks at radio shack.

As for the sound quality, you should expect something around the quality of a decent pair of computer speakers. Not amazing, but I doubt it will be a big issue.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
You can try it. But your friends may ask why your "stereo" sounds like crap. Its gonna be mono not stereo so it will sound like the radio in a really old car with a single speaker in the dash. Another issue is the way guitar preamps are set up it will cut alot if not all the bass out so it will all be mids and highs. And the super highs normally done with a tweeter will not sound very good thru 12" guitar speakers. Give it a day and you will be wishing you had just brought your good stereo. You also may find not everybody is gonna be excited about you bringing a half stack into your dorm room. Some colleges may not even allow it. Probably be better off with your stereo and a POD or something of the sort you can use to play thru the stereo.
why would you bring a half stack to school? that's going to piss off a lot of your neighbors...
Quote by theGlitch
why would you bring a half stack to school? that's going to piss off a lot of your neighbors...

THIS!!! There is a guy down the hall who brought his Line6 Spider-Valve half stack. I want to kick him in the nuts so hard. I have to be up at 6:30am on Tuesdays.

Moral of the story: Be considerate of your neighbors. They might actually kick you in the nuts.
I'd try to make it work before deciding on it as your source of music. I tried to do this with my amp, and it sounded like absolute hell.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
^GAH! BEATEN

but...

Quote by -MintSauce-
It's guitar stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a guitar stereo amp, it is'nt very good. Don't plug stereo into it; just use it as guitar amp if it works.

fix'd
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by Gibson Futura
...I can kill two birds with one stone...

you're gonna start hunting while in PA. you should find a different weapon though.
Is volume a big deal to you for listening to the music? Otherwise why don't you buy a $10.00 pair of powered computer speakers, and listen to your MP3 player through that?
Quote by -MintSauce-
It's stereo guitar amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo guitar amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.

lol, I saw the title and that's the first thing i thought!

Oh, and I have the same amp. It will sound like ass.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.