So hum since a while I've been thinking there might be something wrong with my guitar(sounding bad). And yesterday I started watching Metal Method until until he comes to that part where he says you should be able to slide a penny under your first string's 5th fret, with it nearly touching the string. So I tried it, and I can easily slide two pennys there.

So I'm guessing I should fix my guitar's action. Am I right on this one? Or could it need adjustements by the bridge? Here'S my guitar, if you do not understand what I mean.

http://www.interstatemusic.com/wcsstore/InterstateMusic/ims/ipf/GTSGAX70TR.jpg

So if my guitar does need adjustement, should I adjust the action through the truss rod or through that "bridge" part(dunno what's it called exactly)?

Thanks for the feedback.

Edit: Thought I'd add a small question altho it's not necessarly the right place to ask it, but it's so short, I don't think it deserves a thread on it's own. Basicly, concerning bends on tabs. When it says Full, it means a Full step(therefore, 1/2 meaning half a step), right?
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Sep 17, 2009,
the link to the guitar didn't work, but since it said "GAX70" in the link i'm guessing it's an ibanez GAX70 and you definitely don't want to mess with the truss rod. higher action is fine as long as it's comfortable for you. he likes his pretty low (as do i) but high action is fine too. but adjusting the truss rod is a bigger job, and lowering the action at the bridge is a much better plan. turning the truss rod too much or too quickly can damage things. just not worth trying until you're really ready to learn some guitar maintenance.

and yeah, a full bend should be a step, half bend = half step

i've seen two different bridges on GAX's. one's a strat style bridge, which you probably don't have. the other is a tune-o-matic style that looks like a gibson les paul bridge or something. you'll want to take your strings off and lower that just a tiny bit by screwing the posts for the bridge closer to the body. you don't have to take the strings off, but it'll be easier if you do. hope that helps some
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
It's not that it's -bad- that your action is that high, but it's definitely harder to play it that high.

Also, the intonation suffers alot with high action. When you fret the note, the string bends out of pitch because of the tension of the string and the distance it has to travel.

I'd take it to be professionally set up (because it sounds like it never has). If you have 2 guitars, then practice on one of them. That's how I learned - My starter guitar has gone through hundreds of guages of strings. I've adjusted the intonation and action all the time, just to get good at it.

Good luck!
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by Spike6sic6
So hum since a while I've been thinking there might be something wrong with my guitar(sounding bad). And yesterday I started watching Metal Method until until he comes to that part where he says you should be able to slide a penny under your first string's 5th fret, with it nearly touching the string. So I tried it, and I can easily slide two pennys there.

So I'm guessing I should fix my guitar's action. Am I right on this one? Or could it need adjustements by the bridge? Here'S my guitar, if you do not understand what I mean.

http://www.interstatemusic.com/wcsstore/InterstateMusic/ims/ipf/GTSGAX70TR.jpg

So if my guitar does need adjustement, should I adjust the action through the truss rod or through that "bridge" part(dunno what's it called exactly)?

Thanks for the feedback.
I had never heard of using pennies as a gauge. I just tried this on my strat. I can get one penny to pass beneath my 12th fret, but it deflects the string if I try to slide the penny under a string at the 10th.

2 pennies at the 5th sounds horrendous. But there isn't enough info here to know if your relief is too great, your bridge is too high, or your nut slots aren't cut deep enough.

Read the section on neck relief in the Setup Thread and evaluate how much relief you have in your neck to begin with. Unless it's excessive, your nut slots are probably not deep enough.

This problem COULD be caused by the bridge saddles being too high, but the action at the end of the fretboard (near the body) would be absurdly high.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.