hey guys, i was just wondering, ive got a real low end cab, sounds pretty bad and im pretty sure the speakers in it are old as. if i were to put new speakers in it, generally, would it sound good? or is the cabinet in it self a much larger part in tone production.
As long as the cabinet is sturdy and has the proper dimensions, it can sound great with some nice speakers.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
A lot of people fail to realize how important the cabinet itself is to your tone. Building materials, dimensions, how the cabinet is sealed, etc. all play a very important role on the overall tone, not just the speakers.

There may be improvement in your tone if you put new speakers in but then again it may not be enough to justify buying new speakers.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
A lot of people fail to realize how important the cabinet itself is to your tone. Building materials, dimensions, how the cabinet is sealed, etc. all play a very important role on the overall tone, not just the speakers.

There may be improvement in your tone if you put new speakers in but then again it may not be enough to justify buying new speakers.

This. Depending on how bad your cab is, you may be able to make up for it with a speaker upgrade. Just don't spend more on speakers than it would cost to get a new cab.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
i was checking out people with custom cabs using two different pairs of speakers, is this actually worth doing? a dude who was gonna sell me some has a pair of "black shadows", eminence, and jensen (not sure exactly what speakers), would any of these be a nice mixture?
I used to have a couple of MG cabinets that I would use with my amp heads in stereo...I changed the speakers around quite a bit in them and tried different combinations.
^ Results?

I'd say go for it, then down the road buy an unloaded cab and throw the speakers in that. Whatever you do just plan out your next step.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
^ Results?

I'd say go for it, then down the road buy an unloaded cab and throw the speakers in that. Whatever you do just plan out your next step.

Sounded great. I tried Texas heats, G12K100s and V30s in various patterns and combinations in each cabinet. Texas heat and G12K100 in an X-pattern had a great metal sound. I'm putting the stock speakers back in them right now to sell both of the cabinets and get a good stereo cabinet (1960B, mesa, avatar, etc.) and sell all of the speakers.