So,
I love the Marshall Vintage Modern, but I can't stand the reverb.
The Budda Superdrive 45 also uses KT66's, and doesn't have any reverb.
From what I understand though, it has two less tubes. (I know, lower wattage)
Both have "dynamic ranges" AKA a two channel amp with a shared e.q.
And both also have effects loops, which I deem necessary.

QUESTION is;
Which one would you prefer and why?
Price doesn't matter to me, tone is tone.

Oh and don't worry about the matching cab, I'd run either of these through some good ol' celestion greenbacks.
Budget?
New or Used?
Genres?
Home or Gig?
Current Gear?
Closest City?

sorry, that was relevant joke. Are you asking someone to compare the Superdrive 45 to a 100w VM?

Sorry, I'm not your guy. Ask Raijouta what he thinks. He rec's Budda's all the time so I think he knows something.
I would rather have the VM cab than a greenback loaded cab unless the greenbacks are pre-Rolas or Heritages.

Idk much about the Budda, but the VM is a pretty good amp if that's the kind of sound you're into.
the superdrive is one of my all-time favorite amps. great cleans and drive, they just sound incredible.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Sorry to be so unclear.

I don't want to spend over 2250 for the head. The cab I'm going to get built is going to have Heritage greenbacks, I don't want anything crappy.

Also I meant the 50 watt vintage modern, I'm not all for anything over 50 watts.

I listen to stuff like newer Brand New, and that's maybe almost a sound I'm going for. My style is much more blues infused though, but you get the point.
The Vintage Modern is like a hot-rodded plexi, with more gain, which is the sound I like.

Does anyone know if the gain is similar on the Superdrive 45? I don't want super high gain or anything over the top. But I also don't want to be underpowered. I have a Fender Deluxe Reverb already so I already found a clean sound I love.

Thanks for the help! and if there's any other KT66 type amp you'd recommend, don't hold your tongue.
I don't believe the Superdrive 45 will have a problem with gain... but I've never played one, I've played a few other Budda Superdrives, but never the 45 which I'm reading is something along the lines of a JTM45. I'm quite familiar with the JTM45, I just don't the whole "modern JTM45" thing, because modernizing it would take away from it's character completely.

Here is my honest opinion, I have little doubt that the SD45 will sound better than the VM, I would not think about the VM as a hot-rodded plexi, it really sounds like it's own amp, if you're paying blues infused styles, I think the SD45 will be just fine, I assume when they say "modernize the JTM45" they're going to do things like tighten up the sound, get rid of the huge boomy bass, etc. and for things like newer Brand New it should be fine.
i'd far rather have the budda (based on the 18 watter i tried, i haven't tried the kt88 one you're talking about) than the vintage modern, but obviously that doesn't mean you would.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Superdrive series has a voicing of its own. I've heard people describe them as being somewhere between a Marshall and a Vox. I think the Budda may have a bit more gain on tap.

Both amps use KT66es; meaning, they'll have a sound between EL34 and 6L6. From what I've heard of the Vintage Modern, you need to have a very specific dialing with the "Body" and "Detail" knobs, or it will get too muddy or too harsh. From all that I've heard of the Buddas, they can pull off many different EQ styles and still sound great. The Superdrive series is also very versatile; I've found them used for everything from reggae to metal.

Personally, I prefer the Superdrive series. You should get one, UG needs more Budda users.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thanks a bunch for the info.

Of course now I have to find my local Budda dealer and try one of these babies out!
Quote by Raijouta
The Superdrive series has a voicing of its own. I've heard people describe them as being somewhere between a Marshall and a Vox. I think the Budda may have a bit more gain on tap.

yeah, possibly. The one i tried didn't sound a million miles from cornford, either- i often suggest people should try them when they want a cornford in the states, but don't like the price of cornfords there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?