Being this has a prog rock side to this thread I just wanted to know where people draw the line when it comes to music getting too weird. Is the ambient noise of some of the Mars Volta too much? Does Les Claypool's voice through you off? Too much screaming? Just wondering....
it draws the line wherever you want it to.
Personally, I draw the line with metal at vocals. Almost no vocalist in all of prog, 80's, or shred music has made me think 'wow, that's a good vocalist'.
Instead, I focus on the music. I'll go as shreddy as shred can be, as proggy as prog can be, and sometimes even as 80's, if the music is awesome (And if it has no vocals).
I dont draw the line. Ever heard Bitches Brew? Cecil Taylor? Mathew Shipp? Anthony Braxton? There's no boundaries to music.
I get you. I can't quite place it myself... but perhaps some of these bands just shouldn't go a certain route. One song that stands out for me is Haste's "Engine". I enjoy everything else out of that song, but when the screaming comes in, I shudder. It just doesn't FIT.
Oh there are indeed no boundaries when it comes to music ( Mike Patton's solo albums especially adult themes for voice) The question is when does music become so anti melodic, or in any other way unlistenable that you can no longer listen. Personally, I can stand screaming except death growls, and whiny little punk screams. I have to stop when experimentation loses any sense of melody. I believe my line is drawn at Fantomas. Any weirder than them and I'm out.
Ah right : )

As far as music I'll listen to anything (rhythms and harmony melody) but Im not too keen on gutterals or screaming or whathaveyou
Quote by Gugnums
Oh there are indeed no boundaries when it comes to music ( Mike Patton's solo albums especially adult themes for voice) The question is when does music become so anti melodic, or in any other way unlistenable that you can no longer listen. Personally, I can stand screaming except death growls, and whiny little punk screams. I have to stop when experimentation loses any sense of melody. I believe my line is drawn at Fantomas. Any weirder than them and I'm out.

Fantomas has created many beautiful things.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Fantomas is a great band and I love them, but anything weirder than their suspended animation album is too much. Director's cut is a masterpiece.
I've heard songs where animals would be the whole vocal section of it. Go figure.

They say its being creative, I just plain think its a dumb idea. I'm not a big fan of the 50 second or so waits for a song to start either. You just end up skipping to the actual music portion of it.
Quote by Axegrinder#9
move on over there son

Are you kidding me?
If we have other fusion guitarists, holdsworth should fit in just fine..
He is an incredible guitarist..his left hand legato technique
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I've decided that Paul Gilbert's hands have no method of communication with his brain. they exist as separate sentient beings each with an IQ of 400.
I draw the line at music that has no soul in it i.e anything from the disney corporation ahemm Jonas Brothers
Claypool's voice is perfect for what he does in that he partially wants to throw you off.

I draw the line at 15+ tracks that are just plain ambient or don't really keep my interest. I'm not a huge fan of tracks less than 2 minutes either.

@Shredder: It's really true, I started one so as not to revive the old one and they get like 1 post every month.
Ibanez RG350MDX
Dunlop Jazz IIIs
DR Tite-fits(Only because High-Beams sell too fast for me to buy them)
Carvin X212B
i can't say i'm a fan of Death Cube K. it's a buckethead side project and i listened to one of the albums and it was all just ambient noise. i may have heard guitar something like two or three times on the album, the rest was just strange effects.
Listen to Unexpect. That's where I draw the line.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.