the 19th and 20th frets sound the same, like the 19th sounds like the 20th, could some one help me overcome this situation?
My Gear
Guitars
Esp Ltd EC100QM
Esp Ltd EC1000 Deluxe

Amps
Randall RG100G3
Randall 2x12 Extension Cab

Effects
Zoom 9.2tt
Any chance of a quick soundclip?
We may be able to hear something that could diagnose the problem.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I'm guessing the 20th fret is too high, and when you play the 19th, you're actually playing the 20th without noticing.

Get the frets leveled? Not a good idea to do it yourself, unless you know what you're doing.
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
Quote by Ratfish
I'm guessing the 20th fret is too high, and when you play the 19th, you're actually playing the 20th without noticing.

Get the frets leveled? Not a good idea to do it yourself, unless you know what you're doing.

how do you find out if they arnt level just by eye sight? and how woulkd you adjust them?
My Gear
Guitars
Esp Ltd EC100QM
Esp Ltd EC1000 Deluxe

Amps
Randall RG100G3

Effects
Zoom 9.2tt
Quote by leony03
I have exactly the same problem.

on the 19th and 20th? and i know its hard to do solos and that
My Gear
Guitars
Esp Ltd EC100QM
Esp Ltd EC1000 Deluxe

Amps
Randall RG100G3

Effects
Zoom 9.2tt
bad news.. your fret boards' bent.. time to whip out that allen key and work some magic.. whats happening i'm assuming is that everything above the 19th fret on a particular string sounds the same.. one quick fix for this is to increase your action but you need adjust your truss for the long term.. pardon me if i've misunderstood the dilemma tho.. hahah
Push down the string on the 12th fret and the last one (22nd?) at the same time and see if you can see any gaps....if there are gaps you have uneven frets.....get this sorted by going to a guitar tech at your local muso shop,,,,
[
Quote by DJ_Inferno2000
bad news.. your fret boards' bent.. time to whip out that allen key and work some magic.. whats happening i'm assuming is that everything above the 19th fret on a particular string sounds the same.. one quick fix for this is to increase your action but you need adjust your truss for the long term.. pardon me if i've misunderstood the dilemma tho.. hahah

With the greatest of respect I think that is wrong.... My understanding of it is that the truss rod has very little influence on any fret that high up the board....
[
Quote by Skuzzmo
Push down the string on the 12th fret and the last one (22nd?) at the same time and see if you can see any gaps....if there are gaps you have uneven frets.....get this sorted by going to a guitar tech at your local muso shop,,,,

ive got a 24 fret guitar
My Gear
Guitars
Esp Ltd EC100QM
Esp Ltd EC1000 Deluxe

Amps
Randall RG100G3

Effects
Zoom 9.2tt
Quote by Skuzzmo
With the greatest of respect I think that is wrong.... My understanding of it is that the truss rod has very little influence on any fret that high up the board....

true this.

try and picture this tho. hold your guitar at eye level horizontally.. that is headstock on one side and body on the other (lol)

some timesm coz the board is bentm it might look slightly angled as compared to the rest of the body, if you know what i mean. like a small upward slope and before the fret board hits the body. and sometimes that can cause whats happening methinks.

cheerios
its the 19th and 20th on the high e that sound the same and 19th on the a string ratles and the 19th and 20th on the low e the 19th ratles and also sounds like the 20th
My Gear
Guitars
Esp Ltd EC100QM
Esp Ltd EC1000 Deluxe

Amps
Randall RG100G3

Effects
Zoom 9.2tt
Quote by DJ_Inferno2000
More likely not. Truss rod adjustment affects the amount of relief. The problem here is near the end of the fretboard, not in the middle. It's possible that he has too much relief and the action too low, compensating for that. But not very likely.

Quote by xBENNYx
the 19th and 20th frets sound the same, like the 19th sounds like the 20th, could some one help me overcome this situation?
Either your 19th fret is too low, or your 20th is too high. Look carefully at your 20th fret. Can you see a slight gap between the fretboard and the base of the 20th fret? If so, maybe all you need to do is to drive the fret back down into position. Else you may want to see a luthier or set-up man and have all your frets leveled/crowned/polished, your relief adjusted (trussrod) and your action (bridge height) adjusted.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
More likely not. Truss rod adjustment affects the amount of relief. The problem here is near the end of the fretboard, not in the middle. It's possible that he has too much relief and the action too low, compensating for that. But not very likely.

Either your 19th fret is too low, or your 20th is too high. Look carefully at your 20th fret. Can you see a slight gap between the fretboard and the base of the 20th fret? If so, maybe all you need to do is to drive the fret back down into position. Else you may want to see a luthier or set-up man and have all your frets leveled/crowned/polished, your relief adjusted (trussrod) and your action (bridge height) adjusted.

all i can see is that the 20th fret wire is higher then the 19th but its also looks like the ones above the 20th are also higher then the 19th but that might just be because of the 20th and it makes it look higher
My Gear
Guitars
Esp Ltd EC100QM
Esp Ltd EC1000 Deluxe

Amps
Randall RG100G3

Effects
Zoom 9.2tt
Quote by xBENNYx
all i can see is that the 20th fret wire is higher then the 19th but its also looks like the ones above the 20th are also higher then the 19th but that might just be because of the 20th and it makes it look higher
Take a short (6") metal ruler and lay the edge of it against the frets so that it bridges across several of them.

Have the ruler go from the 18th fret to the end of the fretboard. Does it lay fairly flat against the frets? Or does it tend to rock, with the high point being at the 20th fret? Is there a gap between the ruler and the 19th fret?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Take a short (6") metal ruler and lay the edge of it against the frets so that it bridges across several of them.

Have the ruler go from the 18th fret to the end of the fretboard. Does it lay fairly flat against the frets? Or does it tend to rock, with the high point being at the 20th fret? Is there a gap between the ruler and the 19th fret?

does it have to be metal? because i dont have a metal one
My Gear
Guitars
Esp Ltd EC100QM
Esp Ltd EC1000 Deluxe

Amps
Randall RG100G3

Effects
Zoom 9.2tt
Not mandatory, but most cheap plastic rulers don't have a perfect straightedge. The important part here is that you are using something really precisely flat against the frets to check for a high one.
I've had this problem. Here is the answer: the upper fret(s) are too high. Redress the frets and "fade-away" the upper frets by applying more pressure to the top of the fret board with your radius sanding block. If you don't know how to redress frets, take the guitar to a shop or watch Dan Erlewine's video on how to do your frets on the Stew Mac Web Site. It's not that hard, but you will need to buy the right stuff to do the job correctly. I like to make my own repairs since I have multiple guitars. Over time it saves money and it is great to learn how to do take care of your own guitar.
way to post in a 5 year old thread bro.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend