Page 1 of 2
My band got asked to play at a highschool party, it's gonna be some kind of rock masquerade so they want a mix of songs in diffrent rock genres like classic-rock to metal.

We are thinking about playing following songs

Led zeppelin - immigrant song
Wolfmother - woman
AC/DC - Thunderstruck
Rise against - drones
Metallica - damage inc
BFMV - Waking the deamon

Need a few more songs, any suggestions ? and opinions on the songs we thought of so far ?

we get 1hour to play
Don't do damage inc.
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by 08L1V10N
Don't do damage inc.

How come ? it's one of our favorite songs to play
I say go with more unknown songs. Covers usually sound terrible unless people haven't heard the original because they're comparing you to the original that they know very well. IMO, the only good covers are unknown songs and covers that are completely different from the original. Make the song feel original or just give them something they've never heard before.

But here are my suggestions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGwmrFJymZ0
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljoEnKFp9VA

They're easy and fun to play. The crowd can also have a lot of fun with them and they're not well-known. They'll feel fresh and new.
you should do a song everyone will know, in a different style. Like a classic rock version of take on me or something. Try one by one by the foo fighters as well, thats fun to play.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Do Blitzkrieg Bop.

It's a requirement.

I wouldn't do Damage, it's too thrashy.
Last edited by Oujou at Sep 17, 2009,
Don't do Bullet and replace Damage Inc. with something like Enter Sandman for a school gig.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Oujou
Do Blitzkrieg Bop.

It's a requirement.

I wouldn't do Damage, it's too thrashy.

well we want to do some faster/heavier metal, and i think people that arnt into metal would like trash more then death for example. Maybe holy wars or master of puppets instead
Quote by JesusCrisp
Don't do Bullet and replace Damage Inc. with something like Enter Sandman for a school gig.

Enter Sandman is a good option
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

IMO you'd loose alot of people on MoP, to long to keep the attention span of highschool kids. If you want something really thrashy play Rainging Blood. It's short really heavy and you can do anything you want for the solo (as long as it's fast).
Now I know that in my high school, the kids couldn't give a rats ass about thrash and wouldnt like it if we played any metal. Stick with songs by bands like the foo fighters, muse, but yes blitzkrieg bop is essential.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Don't play any ridiculously high gain stuff. Honestly, around 5-10% of people are actually going to enjoy that. I played sandman at a 50th anniversary lol and it didn't go down to well.

Imo try some Snow Patrol, KOL, Coldplay, Guns and Roses, AC/DC, Muse etc
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
I think the obvious answer is anything by cannibal corpse.
A bunch of RG's
]Ibanez RG2550Z
1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Ibanez: s470
Jackson: RR Flying V
Charvel: 90's model sunburst
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab
Quote by sharpant
Don't play any ridiculously high gain stuff. Honestly, around 5-10% of people are actually going to enjoy that. I played sandman at a 50th anniversary lol and it didn't go down to well.

Imo try some Snow Patrol, KOL, Coldplay, Guns and Roses, AC/DC, Muse etc

This. The thing is, when you're playing live, you aren't really playing for you, you're playing for the audience. If you're playing to a school full of metal and rock fans fair enough, play metal and rock. But I mean, just do a nice popular song but adapt it. Best of You by the Foo Fighters is rocky, and that would be a good song to do, or even a cover of Twist and Shout by the Beatles which is rocked up for you would be decent.

Another song that would go down well would be Summer of 69 by Bryan Adams. Everyone loves that song.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
This. The thing is, when you're playing live, you aren't really playing for you, you're playing for the audience. If you're playing to a school full of metal and rock fans fair enough, play metal and rock. But I mean, just do a nice popular song but adapt it. Best of You by the Foo Fighters is rocky, and that would be a good song to do, or even a cover of Twist and Shout by the Beatles which is rocked up for you would be decent.

Another song that would go down well would be Summer of 69 by Bryan Adams. Everyone loves that song.

Yeah true, might pick a few offspring, the hives, rise against songs. But there will be one trash song damage inc, holy wars or dyers eve maybe
For a school kind of show I think that metal isn't going to be your best bet, even if it is a rock masquerade. I agree with Best of You, but I think most Foo Fighters songs would work, especially Learn To Fly or Everlong. More people know those songs due to recent video games that shouldn't be mentioned. I'm not sure how hardcore your band is, but some softer stuff like Matchbox 20, certain Goo Goo Dolls, Hootie and the Blowfish, etc., are always good for crowds because just about everyone enjoys it. We won our Battle of the Bands playing stuff like that instead of more metal. You'll get a better crowd reaction.

Feel free to tell me I'm a bitch for not liking metal btw, I know it's coming.
Lit - My own worst enemy

Quite honestly I would siggest listening to the American Pie soundtracks, everything on that for example...

Sum 41 - Fat Lip
Blink 182 - mutt (I'd play one of their bigger tracks)
Lit - my own worst enemy etc

All those pop punk songs that everyone loves and gets all nostalgic about.
Oh and 99 red balloons by Goldfinger
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by rockerthenew
Yeah true, might pick a few offspring, the hives, rise against songs. But there will be one trash song damage inc, holy wars or dyers eve maybe

Hmm, I'm still not really sure about that. I mean, if you end with a trash song, you've just ended with something that most people just won't like. I'm not saying like just do what I say, but take a bit of advice from me here (I'm going through the same situation as you here actually), but do a fast song, and maybe just turn the gain up a bit for it. Maybe something silly just for fun, like Hip To Be Square by Huey Lewis and The News, or even bloody Fame by Irene Cara (that has a decent guitar part you could do some harmonising on). I mean, doing a heavy rock version of those would just be so much fun to do IMO. It's up to you though, do what you want, that's just a bit of advice for you.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
If it's a party play some Andrew WK!!!!!!!!! Excellent party music
The more you study the more you know. The more you know the more you forget......... so why study
Nirvana is always great to get your crowd bouncing about.
Do a song real quiet to...Something more mellow like Wonderful tonight... or like a rolling stone.

I would have recomended killing in the name of instead of drones.
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
Do Friday I'm in love by the cure.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by NOSPI
sweet child o' mine - guns n roses
hell song - sum 41
dammit - blink 182
maybe somethin by bon jovi

maybe some ramones or sex pistols?

nirvana? pearl jam?

please tell me you're joking.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Don't play BFMV for rlz. Just play a ton of more classic songs from guitar hero that everyone will recognize, and finish it off with some THRASH.
Try some no age as well. That's quite likeable stuff no one will have heard of in a punkish vein. Ripped Knees and Teen Creeps would be good.

Maybe nothing ever happened or saved by old times or something by deerhunter too?

And for the love of god, I Wanna Be Your Dog by The Stooges
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Carl Douglas - Kung Fu Fighting
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
American Idiot. but before **** and ****** stop playing for a split second and listen to everyone scream out **** and ****** really loud.

Hahaha. It sounds like fun to me.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
American Idiot. but before **** and ****** stop playing for a split second and listen to everyone scream out **** and ****** really loud.

Hahaha. It sounds like fun to me.

please no.
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Quote by yellojeeper
Seek and Destroy.

^^i love that song!!

do something pop/rocky.. like Rooftops by Lostprophets

E-married to no one
My Name is MaryJane
Pokemon Black FC: 3310-5005-8816

Quote by Kumanji
Honestly, I know where Alabama is and I suppose that explains your deeply striking looks...
Page 1 of 2