You might like OHMphrey, a side project band with members of UM and members of Ohm: (check out Ohm: as well if you like it). I'd also check out mörglbl and U-Melt. For the most part though UM sounds similar to older prog bands like King Crimson and Rush, who I am assuming you are mostly familiar with.
Quote by Shpongled
You might like OHMphrey, a side project band with members of UM and members of Ohm: (check out Ohm: as well if you like it)..

whhhooa. gotta dig that!

ts: umphrey's are pretty inimitable! and they're awesome

but on a slight tangent, I guess you should check out Garaj Mahal. I'm just listening to one of their live albums. I mean these guys don't **** around
Quote by MuffinBrain
Phish, of course...

UM took a lot of things from Phish and the Grateful Dead such as improvisation, heavy touring, etc., but musically they are pretty far from Phish. Some of their earlier stuff is more Phish influenced and during their first year they would play Phish covers at almost every show, but nowadays they really are their own band.
Already listen to and love OHMphrey, saw Garaj Mahal in NYC a few months ago and they were great. Dead and Phish are good but UM doesn't really sound like either anymore.

Anybody else?
Quote by eyeplayguitar
Already listen to and love OHMphrey, saw Garaj Mahal in NYC a few months ago and they were great. Dead and Phish are good but UM doesn't really sound like either anymore.

Anybody else?

Did you try U-Melt or mörglbl? You also might like Lotus.
Quote by Shpongled
Did you try U-Melt or mörglbl? You also might like Lotus.
****in love U-Melt, can't wait til they come back to NY.

Never heard of morglbl and never really listened to Lotus. I'll check them out.
^ while you're checking out Lotus, also check out Sound Tribe Sector 9 as well as the Ozric Tentacles. They're all sort are pioneers in their own way in the now labeled "Livetronica" genre.

Ozric Tentacles definitely have a strong prog-rock (bordering on metal) vibe, along with oodles of analog synth phatness, dubby space jams and ill ill beats!

EDIT: big upps for the poster earlier who pointed out Morglbl. I had never heard of them either. I just checked in on what they're all bout, and am acquiring a live show of theirs from this year. I am familiar to an extent with the guitar player, Christophe Godin. Remember seeing a bunch of his clips on youtube, cat's monster!
Last edited by Axegrinder#9 at Sep 22, 2009,