In one of the solos of Children of Bodom's "Kissing the Shadows", there's an effect I've never heard before. I'm pretty sure it isn't a guitar effect pedal or anything like that, it's probably a technique of sorts. I want to know what it's called and how to do it.

Please listen to the solo here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZQ9a-eCwIg

The notes affected by this "effect" is at 3:28 exactly and lasts to 3:30. It kind of sounds like a tremolo effect (no, not tremolo bar).

Thanks a lot in advance!
It is string vibrato combined with quick dips with the whammy bar.

No effect, just a whammy technique.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Yeah, Bodom don't tend to use guitar effects, Laiho just doesn't see the need.
It's severe whammy bar wankage
I love flutters....fav thing to do with my whammy bar. Especially on a harmonic.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
The first time I heard someone do a flutter was in 96 while I was at a G3 concert.

Vai started doing these crazy flutters with his sustainer on, wicked wicked sounding. Vai is the master at flutters.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
The flutters in Blue Powder are some of the best Ive ever heard
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Thanks! Yeah, I suppose "flutter" is what I was referring to.

I found this video, and frankly, what the hell is he doing? He sort of moves his arm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxBrD-F6i5E at 6:07

It seems you need to make the bar slide down or something. When Alexi did it, he just wanked the bar as you guys said. What's the secret more detailed?
Quote by VikingMetalhead
Thanks! Yeah, I suppose "flutter" is what I was referring to.

I found this video, and frankly, what the hell is he doing? He sort of moves his arm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxBrD-F6i5E at 6:07

It seems you need to make the bar slide down or something. When Alexi did it, he just wanked the bar as you guys said. What's the secret more detailed?

What Alexi's doing is pulling the bar briefly and letting it go, when the bar returns to it's position it vibrates and flutters.

The guy in your video is hitting the bar to produce the same effect.

To give you an idea of how this is happening, try tightening your whammy bar until it won't move at all, fret a note and slap the whammy bar (don't keep your hand on it afterward, hit it and move off!). The resulting vibration causes the flutter.
Quote by Aleksi
What Alexi's doing is pulling the bar briefly and letting it go, when the bar returns to it's position it vibrates and flutters.

The guy in your video is hitting the bar to produce the same effect.

To give you an idea of how this is happening, try tightening your whammy bar until it won't move at all, fret a note and slap the whammy bar (don't keep your hand on it afterward, hit it and move off!). The resulting vibration causes the flutter.

Ah, so what's causing it is very high frequent vibrations. Thanks!