Page 1 of 2
Hello all,

I am considering getting a tube amp head, and through the course of my research I stumbled across the Peavey. Originally I had my heart set on the Marshall JCM 2000, but this 6505 really piqued my interest. I play mostly thrash metal, and as mentioned before I have a Jackson SL2H to play through it.

As a side note, it is frustrating to demo amps because no guitar store near me carries an SL2H, so I cannot truly test out the amps. I have played on the JCM 2000 extensively and loved it- but I was hoping to get your thoughts and experiences with both amps. Is the Peavey a great head?
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
I have never played on a JCM, but I do own a 6505+ which I love. I get great metal tone with it. I know that the 6505 has a better distion than the 6505+, but the + has a little better cleans.
Peavey 6505+
Marshall Jcm-900 Lead 1960 cab
Jackson USA RR1 w/SD blackouts
Jackson Dominion w/SD Distortion
Jackson SLS3 w/SD blackouts
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
6505 ftw that amp has metal written all over it - not literally
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by Tempoe
I am waiting for the new 6505 112 for $599, out this month, 60w.
I'd advice waiting for that, as well.

Also, you don't need your Jackson to try out amps. Simply state your guitar to the sales assistant and he'll go grab what he feels will duplicate the tone most accurately. Which any humbucking guitar will do.
6505 is great for modern metal not thrash...

Honestly if you like thrash your best bet is Marshall but try and find a hot rodded British voiced amp say a JCM 800 or something like a Splawn or so forth first.
I take my guitars to guitar stores to try out amps....
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Tempoe
I am waiting for the new 6505 112 for $599, out this month, 60w.

You have made my day. This is awesome!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

i think the 6505 can do thrash on the crunch channel. not the plus as much
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
You guys think the new combo will be any good?

That seems to be pretty cheap for an amp like that ...

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

its being produced outside of the usa, which makes it cheaper. not necessarily worse.
have people forgotten that the 5150/6505 has a great mid gain and crunch ability?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
i just owned AND sold a 5150, i thought it was totally dry and cold, if you turn it up it improves alot but not what i was looking for. i always favor marshalls cause there sound is warmer. more of a vintage vibe with flamethrower gain!
Quote by Richmanofaction
You have made my day. This is awesome!

The Sheffield speakers not great, replacing it with a greenback (or similar) or running another good cab (that you probably have) should make it ideal.
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 17, 2009,
Quote by surface54
i just owned AND sold a 5150, i thought it was totally dry and cold, if you turn it up it improves alot but not what i was looking for. i always favor marshalls cause there sound is warmer. more of a vintage vibe with flamethrower gain!

dry is hardly the word i would use. though they can be cold with the standard peavey bias
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
i think the 6505 can do thrash on the crunch channel. not the plus as much

The issue isnt so much the fact if it can be done, its the voicing you get when you try and do it.

Check out Chimaira doing the Disposable heroes cover.. Sure it sounds good but you can tell thats a 6505 doing it..
true, but im sure they used the red channel. warbringer uses krank. my point is, there are different thrash voicings than just marshall. not that i have anything against the dsl100, i like it.
i confused myself. if you want marshall thrash sound, get the marshall
edit: bands? thrash style?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Last edited by Holy-Diver at Sep 17, 2009,
If you want insane metal tones get the 6505, if you want cleans and don't need that much gain get the JCM2000.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
yeah, if you want cleans, the jcm 2000 has way better cleans. the 6505+ cleans can be somewhat doctored to be ok, but youo will lose the mid gain sound that could be attained with the 6505
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
true, but im sure they used the red channel. warbringer uses krank. my point is, there are different thrash voicings than just marshall. not that i have anything against the dsl100, i like it.
i confused myself. if you want marshall thrash sound, get the marshall
edit: bands? thrash style?

You are correct on the voicings, im just going with the fact he was in love with a Marshall before the Peavey. And taking a stab in the dark he wants a Marshall and loves thrash then more then likely he is looking for a british tone.
true. im thinking too much today
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I've owned both a 5150II and JCM200 TSL. For strait up thrash I'd go for the JCM2000. Especially since you already like it. 5150 is a more brutal amp, but in a newish metal sound. JCM2000 sounds more vintage metal.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
I am just worried about the quality of the 6505 112 combo. How is Peavey's imported stuff....

Have you guys had any experiences with it?

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Quote by Richmanofaction
I am just worried about the quality of the 6505 112 combo. How is Peavey's imported stuff....

Have you guys had any experiences with it?

Its gonna be like everything else that comes imported in. Hit and miss
Maybe also try out other amps than those 2.
Maybe there will be an amp which you will like more than the 6505 and the JCM2000 together.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Maybe also try out other amps than those 2.
Maybe there will be an amp which you will like more than the 6505 and the JCM2000 together.

I have tried out Bugera, and I hated it- the Line 6 spidervalve wasn't my cup of tea either.

As for the bands- Megadeth, Maiden, Metallica- all that sort of stuff. The main thing is- the JCM 2000 halfstack that I want is a bit too pricey for me now. If the Peavey can act as a suitable alternative for nearly half the price I would def. go for that.

From what I have heard on many youtube demonstrations and reviews, the Peavey really impressed me. Do you think the 1x12 will have the same quality roar as the half stack or 2X12 variants?

Right now I am playing on the 2X12 Marshall MG250DFX. I know the MG series gets alot of hate on this board, but to be honest I like it. I pair the distortion with my tonedriver overdrive and it sounds pretty good, and I like the fact that it has two speakers. I feel though that it is time for a tube amp, and the Peavey is just so affordable.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Why do people say the 6505 is only good for modern metal? Isn't it essentially the 5150, which was around long before "modern" metal?
Quote by IbanezPsycho
6505 is great for modern metal not thrash...

Honestly if you like thrash your best bet is Marshall but try and find a hot rodded British voiced amp say a JCM 800 or something like a Splawn or so forth first.

I completely agree with this. 5150/6505 is a good amp, but not for thrash.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Richmanofaction
I have tried out Bugera, and I hated it- the Line 6 spidervalve wasn't my cup of tea either.

As for the bands- Megadeth, Maiden, Metallica- all that sort of stuff. The main thing is- the JCM 2000 halfstack that I want is a bit too pricey for me now. If the Peavey can act as a suitable alternative for nearly half the price I would def. go for that.

From what I have heard on many youtube demonstrations and reviews, the Peavey really impressed me. Do you think the 1x12 will have the same quality roar as the half stack or 2X12 variants?

Right now I am playing on the 2X12 Marshall MG250DFX. I know the MG series gets alot of hate on this board, but to be honest I like it. I pair the distortion with my tonedriver overdrive and it sounds pretty good, and I like the fact that it has two speakers. I feel though that it is time for a tube amp, and the Peavey is just so affordable.

I don't see why not, its the same design with the same tubes. Like I said if you run it through a better speaker it should be identical..or at least orgasmic. Its 60w so that to me is a plus over 120w.
Quote by Tempoe
I don't see why not, its the same design with the same tubes. Like I said if you run it through a better speaker it should be identical..or at least orgasmic. Its 60w so that to me is a plus over 120w.

Hmm ok that is hopeful. I can't wait to try out that combo.

Just to clarify, I do not only play thrash, but that is a sound/voicing that I enjoy. I would like a versatile, cheap tube amp with better tone than my current setup, and I am wondering if the Peavey would provide that.

This thread has been helpful- please keep it coming

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Quote by cbehrendt
I know that the 6505 has a better distion than the 6505+, but the + has a little better cleans.

You my dear sir are mistaken.

I vote the 6505 - The Crunch channel is great for Thrash (imo) and the lead channel is awesome for the more modern 00ber gain stuff.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
You my dear sir are mistaken.

no, he's not. the + version is widely known to have better cleans and slightly less gain on tap... not that the gain part matters, you just push it to 3 o'clock before you can't take anymore instead of 2 o'clock.

and people misunderstand the versatility of the 5150/6505 series because they're just so goddamn amazing at that one thing, so people assume that's all they're good for... and their cleans leave much to be desired, eve on the +/II versions.

all of it is a moot point though if TS likes the 2000, which has the unmistakable Marshall british voice. I understand that the new 1x12 6505 is a great value (most likely anyways... I like to wait until i've tried something before i pass judgement), but if you already know what you like, TS, then that's what you should go with... or better yet, try out different things first hand. i can't stress enough, and i think all the regulars here will agree, that there's no substitute for first hand experience.
Quote by GrisKy
no, he's not. the + version is widely known to have better cleans and slightly less gain on tap... not that the gain part matters, you just push it to 3 o'clock before you can't take anymore instead of 2 o'clock.

and people misunderstand the versatility of the 5150/6505 series because they're just so goddamn amazing at that one thing, so people assume that's all they're good for... and their cleans leave much to be desired, eve on the +/II versions.

all of it is a moot point though if TS likes the 2000, which has the unmistakable Marshall british voice. I understand that the new 1x12 6505 is a great value (most likely anyways... I like to wait until i've tried something before i pass judgement), but if you already know what you like, TS, then that's what you should go with... or better yet, try out different things first hand. i can't stress enough, and i think all the regulars here will agree, that there's no substitute for first hand experience.

Yea - I know that nothing beats trying something in person. I am trying to get into the right mindset before I venture off to the stores later on in the week. I am very impatient and really would like a capable tube amp.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Maybe You can shell out a little more money and buy the 2x12 Combo of the 6505+
Unlike the 112, it is Made in the USA so quality will be awesome.
Quote by Aditya_ram
Maybe You can shell out a little more money and buy the 2x12 Combo of the 6505+
Unlike the 112, it is Made in the USA so quality will be awesome.

Well its not a little more money, its double the price $1200 min. for the same circuits and tubes so I say unless the new ones are found to be different that its a waste of money. But yeah if it was made in the USA I would be willing to pay about an extra $100 for the 112, that's it. They both have 12 Sheffield speakers but the 212 has "1200"s, if they different or better I don't know.
Quote by cbehrendt
I have never played on a JCM, but I do own a 6505+ which I love. I get great metal tone with it. I know that the 6505 has a better distion than the 6505+, but the + has a little better cleans.

You know this because you've compared them, or because you read it on t3h intarnet?
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
For thrash, I'd go for neither and shoot for a Mesa Mark III or IV. An older (2-channel) Rectifier would be perfect too.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
I completely agree with this. 5150/6505 is a good amp, but not for thrash.

why? when you play master of puppets do the tubes explode?

t/s ive got both amps...please get the 6505!! the jcm2000 is not good believe me. if you want to go for a good cheap class A then look at crate v series
Quote by lucertia.
why? when you play master of puppets do the tubes explode?

t/s ive got both amps...please get the 6505!! the jcm2000 is not good believe me. if you want to go for a good cheap class A then look at crate v series

Just try them both out, and decide for yourself. You're spending alot of money, so you ay as well get something that you want.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Page 1 of 2