Ok. I'm going to University next week, and want to get a small amp for practicing in my room. There are a few things i would love the amp to have/do, but anything close would be great:

-Tube/Valve amp (Or any amp with decent lead and clean tones)
-Small / reasonably sized
-30W or less
-Not too expensive, but willing to pay for quality (£100-£200)
-Headphone jack
-CD input (or fx loop)

Sorry if this is a bit of a tall order :/
Are You Shpongled..?
Blackstar HT-5 dude.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
ORANGE CRUSH 30w, this amp is AMAZING, I have it and it is hands down the best sounding solid state amp I have ever played. (It also looks sweet, if you are fimiliar with orange amps you'll know what i mean.)

The Fender Champion is also a great practice amp and is a 5w tube.

Oh yah, and the orange crush comes in 10w 15w or 30w.
GEAR

Guitars
Danelectro Double Cutaway 1959 reissue, Jay Turser Vintage Series Strat

Pedals
Danelectro Reel Echo, Crybaby Wah, Boss DS-1

Amplifiers
Orange Crush 30w
Fender Pro Junior
Orange crush isn't that good to be honest, the clean tones are nice but they don't hold a candle to the valve ones.

E-Married to Funny_Page
blackstar ht-5 amazing little amp
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
^ +1000 dude you can't get valve amps w/ a headphone jack,
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by Mybleedinglung8
^ +1000 dude you can't get valve amps w/ a headphone jack,

yes you can.

Blackstar ht-5 has one.

E-Married to Funny_Page
What styles of music do you play? What bands do you like? Have you bought from ebay or from people second hand before?
Quote by AngryGoldfish
What styles of music do you play? What bands do you like? Have you bought from ebay or from people second hand before?

I play mostly funk and blues. I'm looking for a good lead tone and nice clean. I'm not really gonna be playing much metal.

Check my profile for the list of bands i like. They arn't neccecarily the bands that i play though. And yes i've used ebay loads.

The blackstar looks good but its a bit too expensive. I was looking at the orange crush 30R earlier but i was hoping for a CD input or fx loop so i can use my drum machine without distorting the beat. However other than that, the orange is perfect.

I know i'm being really picky here but i'm hoping i'll find something to fit the part.
Are You Shpongled..?
Quote by Molotow
Peavey Nano Valve Amp ... les than £100 ....

How loud would 5W be? I mean i want something small but i want it to be able to at least block out the sound of my pick strumming the strings.
Are You Shpongled..?
Quote by nugiboy
How loud would 5W be? I mean i want something small but i want it to be able to at least block out the sound of my pick strumming the strings.

5w valve is VERY loud.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by nugiboy
I play mostly funk and blues. I'm looking for a good lead tone and nice clean. I'm not really gonna be playing much metal.

Check my profile for the list of bands i like. They arn't neccecarily the bands that i play though. And yes i've used ebay loads.

The blackstar looks good but its a bit too expensive. I was looking at the orange crush 30R earlier but i was hoping for a CD input or fx loop so i can use my drum machine without distorting the beat. However other than that, the orange is perfect.

I know i'm being really picky here but i'm hoping i'll find something to fit the part.
The Orange Crush isn't very recommendable. I'd rather you got something like a Vox VT30. You could pick up the older models on ebay for dirt cheap these days. Vox AD30VT

I haven't tried it yet, but the new Laney CUB could be worth waiting for.

You've also got the Epiphone Valve Junior, Fender Superchamp XD, Vox AC4TV, Blackheart Little Giant, Peavey Windsore Studio, etc.

Quote by nugiboy
5w valve power is very loud. You'll get into a lot of trouble if you crank it with the neighbours.
Wow. Never thought a 5w could be that loud, but i suppose it is a valve amp.
I'll work through your reccomendations and get back to you goldfish.
Are You Shpongled..?
You won't get great sound for 100-200 bucks dude.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
You won't get great sound for 100-200 bucks dude.

Its 100-200 pounds though. But yeh i realize im not gonna get anything amazing.
Are You Shpongled..?
Headphone and aux input are tough on a tube amp. Vypyr 15 or 30 is a better option if you need those features. I've used the BT (aux) passthru on a multifx into a Pro Jr and the BT is muffled severely.
Quote by nugiboy
Its 100-200 pounds though. But yeh i realize im not gonna get anything amazing.

Maybe look if you can get a Blackstar HT-5 combo/stack or something similar.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I've decided to fork out a bit extra and go for the blackstar ht-5 in the end. I saw it being played today and it blew me away.

Just wondering though. Should i buy a combo, or a head and 1 cab, leaving me the option to change it into a full stack later on.
Are You Shpongled..?
Quote by nugiboy
I've decided to fork out a bit extra and go for the blackstar ht-5 in the end. I saw it being played today and it blew me away.

Just wondering though. Should i buy a combo, or a head and 1 cab, leaving me the option to change it into a full stack later on.

It might be cheaper to get the combo, but if you get the head and a small cab you could get a bigger and better cab later when you have more money.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by nugiboy

It totally depends on what you want. You could probably get more volume and more options for tone tweaking--i.e. speaker cabinet swapping--but it's totally up to you. the difference is minimal. Get what you want.
Quote by JesusCrisp
It might be cheaper to get the combo, but if you get the head and a small cab you could get a bigger and better cab later when you have more money.

Yeh thats what i was thinking. If im getting a good amp, i might as well give it the ability to live up to its full potential.

One other question. Is there any difference between the quality of a combo and a Head with one cab? Isn't a combo essentially half a stack?
Are You Shpongled..?
Im going to say go for the HT-5 like most of these guys are saying.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
Quote by nugiboy
Yeh thats what i was thinking. If im getting a good amp, i might as well give it the ability to live up to its full potential.

One other question. Is there any difference between the quality of a combo and a Head with one cab? Isn't a combo essentially half a stack?
Generally, you need four 12" speakers to be able to call it a half-stack. But that's not necessarily true, as having one single speaker cabinet attached can signify a half-stack, while two cabinets attached then signfies a full-stack, no matter how many speakers are actually in the cabinets.

The HT-5 combo only has one 10" Celestion speaker, which isn't ideal for bass response. Normally, the wider the speaker cone the thicker the tone is. I can't be sure on that, though. I'm not particularly well up on speakers.
What also comes into play, is whether the combo is open-back or closed-back. From my experience, open-back styled cabinets allow the sound (bass mostly) to excape. While closed-back cabs, the bass pushes forward singularly--most likely towards your ears.

The Mini-stack version (it's obviously more expensive) will allow for a more pressured and bass responsive tone, often with the feeling of 'completness'. But the speakers are same as the combo so the sound doesn't vary that greatly.

On the other hand, if you just get the head from the second-hand market and a quality 1x12 speaker cabinet--such as the Framus Dragon 1x12 for €229 on thomann.de--you may be better off.

The differences, though, are nothing to write home about. If you can test the amp out yourself with different configurations, use your own ears to decide.
If you can get the Blackstar Ht-5 head and a decent 212 cab, your tone will thank you

E-Married to Funny_Page