So, I was messing about on eBay while I was supposed to be finishing up some music assignment at college, and I accidentally left ebay open while i picked up something off the printer and the ass of a singer in my band bought some crappy looking £85 telecaster from some online eBay store.

However, instead of being annoyed at him, I'm going to turn it into a project. It's Ice White, which isn't a favourite but i need ideas about colours to paint it or artwork to put on it, and what pups i should put in it because only being £85, they're probably going to suck. I actually need a new guitar anyway, I broke my old one so i'd be willing to spend a decent amount on it if it's worth it. I'm a bassist and drummer mainly but I do occasionally play guitar live with my band for a few songs.

Thanks.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Last edited by druggietoad2k5 at Sep 17, 2009,
what brand is it?

and whats the body wood?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
The brand is "Harrier Guitars", and I have no idea on the wood. With it being so cheap, I can't imagine it having particularly great tonal qualities.

Even if I don't play it live much, it'd be interesting to do because i've never done this before at all.

Edit: Linky
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

With that wood, what should i buy for pups? I mean, the whole guts of the thing will be ripped out for painting anyway, so I mays well go the whole hog and replace the pickups in it

I want good cleans, pretty much. A BROOTALZ METULZ sound isn't what i'm into. A decent distortion sound would be nice too.

Tuners might be replaced but that's not a major thing to me really.
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

I have a Harrier V, the pickups are proper bad, the hardware is cheap, the neck wood feels tacky, but I love it. The Alder+Maple combination should be pretty good.
I might refinish the neck with the lacquer I'm getting. I guessed the hardware would be crap but that's not a problem. I'll probably get around to replacing them anyways.

Is the whole thing pretty easy to do? I'm getting a friend to help me and I'm a noob to this completely. I can use a soldering iron in a basic capacity, but I have no clue on wiring or anything like that.

Edit: Yes, I am left handed
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Personally for the pickups I'd take a look at Irongear since you're in the UK, they're effing solid and you can get tele pups for about £25 each.

Finishwise I've always wanted a tele with an orange satin finish, chrome hardware and a 3-ply black pickguard.

And yeah wiring etc is easy enough so long as you have basic soldering skills and you can follow a diagram.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Ok, that's good to hear. I'm pretty abysmal at anything practical.

For paint, I was thinking like nuclear yellow with a white pickguard (it comes with one so i don't have to go to the extreme hassle of finding a left handed one and paying a fortune for the privilege) and getting a huge picture of Peter Griffin on the back and lacquering it on the thing .

I'll post up the finished result. I have to wait up to a week for delivery unfortunately.
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Why is everyone recommending humbuckers?
Quote by Baconfish
Why is everyone recommending humbuckers?

Because Teles have ****ty bridge tone.
I'm glad of the suggestions, but can you add why? I'm a total noob at guitar modding and pickups.

I only really want to spend at most £90 on 2 pups.
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

^ May I suggest some Swineshead Tele pups. That's the best bet I think. Btw, I'd stick with single coils, it's always a winner.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
well, I have another cheaper suggestion. did you like the pickups and such in the other guitar that crapped out on you? If they were good I'd just stick those in it.
It's a strat copy in a S-S-S so I guess I couldn't put the neck pup in? Plus i'd have a pickup just lying around. I liked the other pickups but I'm not taking that guitar apart, it's my first guitar and it's very sentimental to me.

I guess for now I can just not have pickups in it. I mean I could always just wire the old ones in for now as well.
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Kurapica, I think swineshead stopped making everything besides buckers just now.

With a little editing you could always but 2 of the strat pickups in, but it'd mean cutting into the pickguard, body and having to mount the bridge pickup into the wood.
It looks like a good deal to me. You should take off the body, light it on fire (not too much though, just for the look, not the falling-apart-ness) and then clearcoat it. Insert Dimarzio super distortion into bridge slot.

=goodplan
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
So your going to spend another $200+ dollars to fix it up, probably needs a bridge and machine heads too. Waste of money IMO. Kick you singers ass and get the $85 off him.
Quote by Tempoe
So your going to spend another $200+ dollars to fix it up, probably needs a bridge and machine heads too. Waste of money IMO. Kick you singers ass and get the $85 off him.

I like how people ignore the £ sign and see it as a $ sign and assume I'm American even with a co.uk ebay link but whatever.....

Either way, it isn't really that much money to do it unless i get more pups. That is where the bulk of the money would be spent if I wanted them, but it's not a major need at the moment. I need a new guitar anyway just for practicing and composing so it's not really that much of a problem spending a little money on it.

Sand paper isn't expensive, I don't know about lacquer and paint because I don't know what types to use. Any advice?
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

duncan custom to 59 maybe?
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.