Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a small cheap runaround motorbike, since I share a car with my parents and obviously they usually have it for work, leaving me to walk or cycle to my work, or catch ****ty overpriced public transport.

I'm just wondering, how much does it cost to 'kit out', asides from the bike, i mean - Crash helmet, jacket, boots, gloves, etc, how much does it all add up to? I am currently working part-time and I'm looking for full-time, so hopefully can afford it all, but any rough estimates would be great.

Also, if there's a 'bikers' thread already, sorry, I did search...
Last edited by Mazzakazza at Sep 17, 2009,
probs between £60-£100 for a cheap run around bike. For a decent helmet £30 probably. £10 for a cheap pair of cycyling gloves. thats all you need really. So could be £140 for the bear essentials
The more you study the more you know. The more you know the more you forget......... so why study
Are we talking bicycle, or motorcycle?
As I always say: "Rawr"
haha well ignore my last post
The more you study the more you know. The more you know the more you forget......... so why study
Quote by Like a boss
probs between £60-£100 for a cheap run around bike. For a decent helmet £30 probably. £10 for a cheap pair of cycyling gloves. thats all you need really. So could be £140 for the bear essentials

Noone wears a helmet on a bicycle
Isn't that like, gay?
^ NOT a bicycle, a motorbike. Just to clarify.

Also, I wear a helmet on my bicycle because I was hit by a car once when I wasn't wearing a helmet. So really, it's not gay. I know that it ****ing hurts having your head stitched back up.
Quote by Mazzakazza
Oh, haha, yeah we're talking motorcycles, sorry.

I have a bicycle already.

wtf lawl, I thought you meant bicycle =_=
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
Quote by grimms
Isn't that like, gay?

Not if your cycling on busy roads, rather look like a douche than crack my head open like a big pinyata. Anyway you could probably pick up a second hand motorbike for £1000 or less. Helmets for motorbikes will be more expensive, well in excess of £100 and jackets will be around the £100 mark as long as you dont want a leather jacket.
Can get a pair of gloves for £20 and boots for around £70. So you'd be looking at not too much over £1,300
Small bike your looking at £200-300 for a piece of crap, helmet say £50, jacket & gloves depends where you go say £70 for both if you go cheapest, insurance prob about £200-300, CBT test £75-85, tax depends on your engine so anywhere between £15-200.

Those are of course estimated figures
Thank you guys. There's quite a few motorbikes on autotrader for around 500-600 and a couple less which look like absolute crap so I might steer clear...all the same, it was really gear I wanted to know estimates of, cheers.
You can do without buying boots, a good sturdy pair of workboots work fine. Get a good pair of waterproof and windproof gloves or don't bother getting any. Make sure any jacket you get has crash padding or skid plates. Never buy second hand helmets yada yada.
^I don't have steelcapped boots or anything, the closest I've got is hiking boots, probably not tough enough?

I'll definitely want gloves, it's pretty cold out in winter on a pushbike, let alone a motor...are all padded type jackets pretty similar or do they measure in mm or something the amount of protection? I just wonder cos a lot of them seem to have like...patterned plating, is that just style? I seriously don't care what I look like on the bike if I'm perfectly honest, I just really need a way to get from A to B because car insurance is so dear.
Quote by grimms
Isn't that like, gay?

well if wanting to keep your brains inside your skull in case of a crash is gay, then i must be absolutely flaming, floating around, fix-up-your-house levels of gay
You should always wear a helmet no matter if what you're riding has an engine or not.
Quote by grimms
Isn't that like, gay?

i do and i have a girlfriend, care to argue?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by Mazzakazza
^I don't have steelcapped boots or anything, the closest I've got is hiking boots, probably not tough enough?

I'll definitely want gloves, it's pretty cold out in winter on a pushbike, let alone a motor...are all padded type jackets pretty similar or do they measure in mm or something the amount of protection? I just wonder cos a lot of them seem to have like...patterned plating, is that just style? I seriously don't care what I look like on the bike if I'm perfectly honest, I just really need a way to get from A to B because car insurance is so dear.

Padding does vary but all has to meet very strict guidelines so it's not like your going to be underprotected. Footware wise I've riden in trainers, doesn't feel too nice when you change gear but gets the job done. The reason people suggest riding boots is because they have metal rods or plates running up the sides inside the material to try and reduce the damage to your ankles in case of a crash.
Quote by Mazzakazza

Not quite sure what you mean about the patterned plating. What you should look for is armour in the elbows and shoulders.

Proper boots are well worth having too. It's not that hiking boots aren't tough enough, but proper boots have loads of support to stop your ankles snapping if you crash. You can get decent ones for about £80, but I'd definitely recommend Alpinestars. Mine cost about £180, but they're the best bit of kit I've ever bought - five years and half a dozen crashes later and they're still going strong.

If you've never bought a helmet before go to a bike shop and ask them to sort you one out that'll fit properly - a £80 helmet that fits perfectly will most likely protect you better than a £500 one that's the wrong fit.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Quote by Mazzakazza

I've been advised to stay clear of steel toecapped boots for biking; if you crash then the toecap could easily slice into your foot, adding extra injury.
do NOT cut budget on protecting clothes. It is not worth it

And you could find some decent second-hand jackets and pants to get started. Always check for the E-seals of approval for protectors... And get some armour up in your back. You do not want to break it. Helmets of around 100 euros protect well enough, but they fog out like mad. Arai's and Shoei's cost about 5-7 times the money, but are well worth it. Get some gloves and some (motorcycling) boots to top it off and your ready to ride
Quote by poopsmith666
thats pretty epic actually.

-Cheap classical guitar
-Cheap western
-Ibanez GRX70 jumpstart package
-Shine bass + Eden Nemesis en8jr 25W